Ryan Spadola, Seven years after.

BurnleyJet

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...their_nfl.html

Pam Spadola’s phone rang Friday evening. Her son Ryan was on the other end, catching up with her as prepared to leave the Jets’ facility in Florham Park, following their final practice before the holiday weekend. Ryan spoke casually.

“Oh, hey, mom,” he said. “I wanted to give you a quick call and tell you I made the team.”

This was a moment Ryan and his father, Donald, always dreamed about – Ryan as an NFL player. And he made the Jets, whose games Donald and Ryan attended together, driving 50 miles north from their home in Howell.

Donald was there when the dream began, standing behind Ryan before his first Pop Warner game. Donald smiled for a photo, his left arm resting on Ryan’s shoulder pads, his right around Ryan’s younger brother, Randy. Ryan looked into the camera, eye black streaked across his fair cheeks, with a focused, serious expression on his face.

Donald nurtured the dream. He coached Ryan’s teams. He told Ryan stories about his own high achievements, as a Secret Service agent assigned to protect retired presidents.

Then Donald left the dream behind. He committed suicide on Nov. 29, 2006, during Ryan’s sophomore year at Freehold Township High School. The family never saw it coming, Pam said. It remains inexplicable for Ryan.

Over the next seven years, Ryan poured himself into football. His mom took out student loans so he could attend Lehigh, where he shined as a wide receiver. The Jets signed him as an undrafted free agent who had to play special teams and fight for spot this preseason on the 53-man roster, which will be released Saturday night.

And finally, Friday night, there were Ryan’s words, long awaited, hitting his mom’s ear: “I made the team.”

Rough for him glad hes made the Team, I think hes going to be the new Wayne Chrebet.

Archived