W-L records since 2002: Jets 94-98 (17th)

Jetsfan80

Just about every team has had busts just as bad or worse. 

I doubt you could find this many top 6 drafted busts on another team. This is remarkable. Almost as bad as our QB draft history the last 12 years that was posted a few weeks ago.

Its actually easy to see why we have suffered for 45 years. Lets face it, over this period, we have probably been the worst drafting franchise in the NFL.

I doubt you could find this many top 6 drafted busts on another team. This is remarkable. Almost as bad as our QB draft history the last 12 years that was posted a few weeks ago.

Its actually easy to see why we have suffered for 45 years. Lets face it, over this period, we have probably been the worst drafting franchise in the NFL.

:face:

Do yourself a favor and look at the Bengals, Browns, Lions and Cardinals complete complete  drafting histories. Also look at the Colts drafting in the 70s, 80s and early 90s. Look at the Dolphins last 15 or so drafts, not to mention the Bills drafts of the last 20 years. 

While you're at it, check out every Steelers draft until 1970. Every 49ers draft until 1979 and every 49ers draft from 1995 until Frank Gore. 

Check out the Pats drafts of the 60s, 70s and early 80s. 

The Bucs drafts from their inception in 1976 until 1995 and then from 2003 until now. The Packers drafts from 1970 to 1993. The Giants drafts from the late 50s to 1980. 

Look at the Falcons entire draft history.

And guess what, on every one of those team's message boards, there is someone just like you who is complaining that no one drafts worse than their team. 

:face:

Do yourself a favor and look at the Bengals, Browns, Lions and Cardinals complete complete  drafting histories. Also look at the Colts drafting in the 70s, 80s and early 90s. Look at the Dolphins last 15 or so drafts, not to mention the Bills drafts of the last 20 years. 

While you're at it, check out every Steelers draft until 1970. Every 49ers draft until 1979 and every 49ers draft from 1995 until Frank Gore. 

Check out the Pats drafts of the 60s, 70s and early 80s. 

The Bucs drafts from their inception in 1976 until 1995 and then from 2003 until now. The Packers drafts from 1970 to 1993. The Giants drafts from the late 50s to 1980. 

Look at the Falcons entire draft history.

And guess what, on every one of those team's message boards, there is someone just like you who is complaining that no one drafts worse than their team. 

Whoa, how about you do all this and report back? My secretary is out of town and I'm not looking all this crap up. I'm quite sure if you do look up this ENCYCLOPEDIA you suggested, that you will find some woeful drafts, but I'll bet that the JETS are near or at the bottom.

Whoa, how about you do all this and report back? My secretary is out of town and I'm not looking all this crap up. I'm quite sure if you do look up this ENCYCLOPEDIA you suggested, that you will find some woeful drafts, but I'll bet that the JETS are near or at the bottom.

And I would take your money. 

How about, if you're gonna make stupid pronouncements here, be prepared to back them up OR be roundly mocked. 

And I would take your money. 

How about, if you're gonna make stupid pronouncements here, be prepared to back them up to be roundly mocked. 

The Jets being one of the worst drafting teams in NFL history is a "stupid pronouncement"? Did you see those top 6 busts and the QB drafting history over the past 12 years?

Here would be my idea concerning the JETS drafting and "stupid pronouncements":

The Franchise known as the NY JETS has drafted brilliantly at the QB position since their only Franchise QB nearly 45 years ago, and has drafted some incredible talent when having a top 6 pick. These names include such stalwarts as Carter, Lam Jones, Sanchez , Gholston, Robertson, Becht etc.

The Jets being one of the worst drafting teams in NFL history is a "stupid pronouncement"? Did you see those top 6 busts and the QB drafting history over the past 12 years?

Here would be my idea concerning the JETS drafting and "stupid pronouncements":

The Franchise known as the NY JETS has drafted brilliantly at the QB position since their only Franchise QB nearly 45 years ago, and has drafted some incredible talent when having a top 6 pick. These names include such stalwarts as Carter, Lam Jones, Sanchez , Gholston, Robertson, Becht etc.

Seriously? Your comment that the Jets are "the WORST" at drafting doesn't come close to holding water. EVERY team has had it's share of busts. The Jets record over the last decade or so pretty much proves they haven't drafted that bad compared to the rest of the league. At worst they have been middle of the pack. While the Raiders and Lions have combined to barely win more games than the Jets have over the same period.

Look at the Raiders drafts the last 12 years. They've gone from literally being a Super Bowl team to the second worst record in the NFL over that stretch. They have consistently picked in not just the top 10 but  the top 5. What do they have to show for it? They've had two 8-8 years in the last 12. That's the best they've done. Other than that, their best year was five wins. Think sh*tty drafting might have something to do with that? Over the same stretch the Jets have AVERAGED 3 more wins per season, have gone to the playoffs five times and made the AFC Championship game twice. 

But, according to you, the Jets have been the worst at drafting in the last decade or so. 

That is the definition of a stupid pronouncement, my friend. 

Seriously? Your comment that the Jets are "the WORST" at drafting doesn't come close to holding water. EVERY team has had it's share of busts. The Jets record over the last decade or so pretty much proves they haven't drafted that bad compared to the rest of the league. At worst they have been middle of the pack. While the Raiders and Lions have combined to barely win more games than the Jets have over the same period.

Look at the Raiders drafts the last 12 years. They've gone from literally being a Super Bowl team to the second worst record in the NFL over that stretch. They have consistently picked in not just the top 10 but  the top 5. What do they have to show for it? They've had two 8-8 years in the last 12. That's the best they've done. Other than that, their best year was five wins. Think sh*tty drafting might have something to do with that? Over the same stretch the Jets have AVERAGED 3 more wins per season, have gone to the playoffs five times and made the AFC Championship game twice. 

But, according to you, the Jets have been the worst at drafting in the last decade or so. 

That is the definition of a stupid pronouncement, my friend. 

OK, we agree to disagree. Sorry.

This is not a matter of opinion. This is a matter of fact. And the facts are not on your side. 

Then I'll need to see the "facts" , that is the JETS draft up against those other teams you mention, because since 1969, I believe OAKLAND, who you mentioned has won a couple SB's since then and lost another with Gannon. The Lions, though with a very poor record as you mentioned have drafted top 5 "busts" like Ndamakong Suh, Nick Fairley, the BEST WR in the game, Megatron, and a Franchise QB, Matt Stafford. I don't know, I don't think we can match the Lions draft.

We're a mediocre drafting team, and the record indicates that.  Since 2002 we've had our share of victories (Cotchery, Pouha, Brad Smith, Leon Washington, Revis, Harris, Wilkerson, Kerley, Demario, Richardson) and blunders (Bryan Thomas over Ed Reed, Robertson, Nugent, Gholston, Sanchez, Hill).  But we've come a long way from Mel Kiper saying the Jets simply "don't understand what the draft is all about".  So that's something.

Nearly every team on that list with a weaker record than us has either had a worse drafting record than us, or made changes recently to buck the trend (the Niners, Chiefs, Bengals and Cardinals come to mind there; the Rams are on the right track too).

I mean, look at the Vikings.  They once took Tarvaris Jackson in the 2nd round.  Troy Williamson with the 7th overall pick.  Michael Bennett with the 27th pick before getting it right with AP 6 years later.  Christian Ponder with the 11th pick.  I'd say we're at least on par with them, no?

Then I'll need to see the "facts" , that is the JETS draft up against those other teams you mention, because since 1969, I believe OAKLAND, who you mentioned has won a couple SB's since then and lost another with Gannon. The Lions, though with a very poor record as you mentioned have drafted top 5 "busts" like Ndamakong Suh, Nick Fairley, the BEST WR in the game, Megatron, and a Franchise QB, Matt Stafford. I don't know, I don't think we can match the Lions draft.

If the Jets drafting is even remotely as bad as you claim, then Rex Ryan must be a god in the NFL coaching world. Because the Lions, even with a franchise QB, the best WR in the game, Suh, and Fairly haven't won a playoff game since 1991.

We're a mediocre drafting team, and the record indicates that.  Since 2002 we've had our share of victories (Cotchery, Pouha, Brad Smith, Leon Washington, Revis, Harris, Wilkerson, Kerley, Demario, Richardson) and blunders (Bryan Thomas over Ed Reed, Robertson, Nugent, Gholston, Sanchez, Hill).  But we've come a long way from Mel Kiper saying the Jets simply "don't understand what the draft is all about".  So that's something.

Nearly every team on that list with a weaker record than us has either had a worse drafting record than us, or made changes recently to buck the trend (the Niners, Chiefs, Bengals and Cardinals come to mind there).

Now if we could only get McShay to come around.

If the Jets drafting is even remotely as bad as you claim, then Rex Ryan must be a god in the NFL coaching world. Because the Lions, even with a franchise QB, the best WR in the game, Suh, and Fairly haven't won a playoff game since 1991.

I don't know, is it? I need to see the facts, but from what I can see, We are one of if not the WORST drafting team in the NFL. If that proves your hero is a God, then so be it, but our drafting in a word has been pathetic.

I don't know, is it? I need to see the facts, but from what I can see, We are one of if not the WORST drafting team in the NFL. If that proves your hero is a God, then so be it, but our drafting in a word has been pathetic.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/

Go here and check out Cleveland, Washington or Oakland's draft history.  It's brutal. 

Browns

Braylon Edwards (3rd pick, 2005)

Brodney Pool (34th pick, 2005)

Brady Quinn (22nd pick, 2007)

NO 1ST, 2ND OR 3RD rounders in 2008!

Mohamed Massaquoi (50th pick, 2009)

Colt McCoy (85th pick, 2010)

Trent Richardson (3rd pick, 2012)

Brandon Weeden (22nd pick, 2012)

Raiders

Phillip Buchanon (17th pick, 2002)

Tyler Braton (32nd pick, 2003)

Robert Gallery (2nd pick, 2004)

Jake Grove (45th pick, 2004)

Fabian Washington (23rd pick, 2005)

Thomas Howard (38th pick, 2006)

Jamarcus Russell (1st pick, 2007)

Darren McFadden (4th pick, 2008)

Darrius Heyward-Bey (7th pick, 2009)

NO 1ST OR 2ND ROUNDER IN 2011!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/

Go here and check out Cleveland, Washington or Oakland's draft history.  It's brutal. 

Browns

Braylon Edwards (3rd pick, 2005)

Brodney Pool (34th pick, 2005)

Brady Quinn (22nd pick, 2007)

NO 1ST, 2ND OR 3RD rounders in 2008!

Mohamed Massaquoi (50th pick, 2009)

Colt McCoy (85th pick, 2010)

Trent Richardson (3rd pick, 2012)

Brandon Weeden (22nd pick, 2012)

Cleveland and Oakland are right there with the JETS, but actually, the Redskins have drafted pretty well looking at some of those drafts.

Cleveland and Oakland are right there with the JETS, but actually, the Redskins have drafted pretty well looking at some of those drafts.

Sure about that?  They've treated the draft with such disdain that they've handed away top picks like they were dog treats.  And they just gave away THREE first rounders to the Rams for injury-prone RG3.

Meanwhile, with those picks, the Rams have been stockpiling talent, scooping up guys like Robert Quinn (lead the NFL in sacks), Janoris Jenkins, Zac Stacy, Tavon Austin and Brockers.

Redskins

Patrick Ramsey (32nd pick, 2002)

Ladell Betts (56th pick, 2002)

NO 1ST ROUNDER IN 2003

Taylor Jacobs (44th pick, 2003)

Jason Campbell (25th pick, 2005)

NO 1ST ROUNDER IN 2006

NO 2ND, 3RD OR 4TH ROUNDER  IN 2007

Devin Thomas (34th pick, 2008)

NO 2ND, 3RD OR 4TH ROUNDER IN 2010

Ryan Kerrigan (16th pick, 2011)

NO 1ST ROUNDER IN 2013 - RG3 trade

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/draft.htm

From 2002-2007 the Lions drafted Joey Harrington, Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Mike Williams and Ernie Sims - all in the top 10 - all huge busts. That's in five consecutive drafts. The Jets have never, in their entire history as a franchise, ****ed up five consecutive first round picks like that. That may the worst stretch of 1st round picks ever and they were all in the top 10 of the draft, all in the period discussed by the OP of this thread.

I don't know that the Jets have ever even so much as earned five consecutive top 10 picks.  

The Lions recent "success" notwithstanding, they were so bad at the front end of this period they have only won 51 games in 12 years. 

Bills

OT Mike Williams (4th pick, 2002)

Josh Reed (36th pick, 2002)

Chris Kelsay (48th pick, 2003)

Lee Evans (13th pick, 2004)

JP Losman (22nd pick, 2004)

NO 1ST ROUNDER 2005

Roscoe Parrish (55th pick, 2005)

Josh McCargo (26th pick, 2006)

Trent Edwards (92nd pick, 2007)

James Hardy (41st pick, 2008)

Aaron Maybin (11th pick, 2009)

Eric Wood (28th pick, 2010)

CJ Spiller (9th pick, 2011) --  Gave away Marshawn Lynch to the Seahawks.  Spiller was his replacement.

EJ Manuel (16th pick, 2013)

Bills

OT Mike Williams (4th pick, 2002)

Josh Reed (36th pick, 2002)

Chris Kelsay (48th pick, 2003)

Lee Evans (13th pick, 2004)

JP Losman (22nd pick, 2004)

NO 1ST ROUNDER 2005

Roscoe Parrish (55th pick, 2005)

Josh McCargo (26th pick, 2006)

Trent Edwards (92nd pick, 2007)

James Hardy (41st pick, 2008)

Aaron Maybin (11th pick, 2009)

Eric Wood (28th pick, 2010)

CJ Spiller (9th pick, 2011) --  Gave away Marshawn Lynch to the Seahawks.  Spiller was his replacement.

EJ Manuel (16th pick, 2013)

HOLY CRAP 

Jaguars

Mike Pearson (40th pick, 2002)

Byron Leftwich (7th pick, 2003)

Reggie Williams (9th pick, 2004)

Greg Jones (55th pick, 2004)

Matt Jones (21st pick, 2005)

Marcedes Lewis (28th pick, 2006)

Derrick Harvey (8th pick, 2008)

Blaine Gabbert (10th pick, 2011)

If it weren't for taking MJD with the 60th pick in 2006, we're probably talking about the Jaguars being the worst or 2nd worst (Raiders) drafting team since '02.

Now let's take a look at the Patriots, who have the best record since '02, and revisit some of their "brilliant" draft choices:

Daniel Graham (21st pick, 2002)

Rohan Davey (117th pick, 2002)

Ty Warren (13th pick, 2003)

Eugene Wilson (36th pick, 2003)

Bethel Johnson (45th pick, 2003)

Ben Watson (32nd pick, 2004)

Marquise Hill (63rd pick, 2004)

Guss Scott (95th pick, 2004)

Ellis Hobbs (84th pick, 2005)

Laurence Maroney (21st pick, 2006)

Chad Jackson (36th pick, 2006)

David Thomas (86th pick, 2006)

Terrence Wheatley (62nd pick, 2008)

Patrick Chung (34th pick, 2009)

Ron Brace (40th pick, 2009)

Darius Butler (41st pick, 2009)

Brandon Tate (83rd pick, 2009)

Jermaine Cunnungham (53rd pick, 2010)

Taylor Price (90th pick, 2010)

Aaron Hernandez (113th pick, 2010)  --  Yeah, no chance they had any clue he was a drug-addicted sociopath coming into the league. 

Ras-I Dowling (33rd pick, 2011)

Tavon Wilson (48th pick, 2012)

Yeah, I'm sure the Pats win 147 games since '02 without lucking into Tom Brady, a 6th rounder, in 2000.  With this stellar draft history, who needs him!  No doubt they win multiple rings with Drew Bledsoe.

Now let's take a look at the Patriots, who have the best record since '02, and take a look at some of their "brilliant" draft choices:

Aaron Hernandez (113th pick, 2010)  --  Yeah, no chance they had any clue he was on drugs and was a sociopath coming into the league. 

Yeah, I'm sure the Pats win 147 games since '02 without lucking into Tom Brady, a 6th rounder, in 2000.  With this stellar draft history, who needs him!

Wow! It's a good thing they traded away all of those first rounders. They really made the most of all those extra picks they stockpiled. 

Wow! It's a good thing they traded away all of those first rounders. They really made the most of all those extra picks they stockpiled. 

No Brady, no cameras, no rings.  Period.  And it's not surprising they haven't won it all since '05.  They have done a poor job of surrounding Brady with talent.  Wasted draft picks galore.  And I didn't even bother listing all the dozens of mid/late-round failures.  You know, where all that trading down is supposed to pay off.

No Brady, no cameras, no rings.  Period.  And it's not surprising they haven't won it all since '05.  They have done a poor job of surrounding Brady with talent.  Wasted draft picks galore.  And I didn't even bother listing all the dozens of mid/late-round failures.  You know, where all that trading down is supposed to pay off.

What's really bad is how the media blows them over their draft year in and year out. 

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/draft.htm

From 2002-2007 the Lions drafted Joey Harrington, Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Mike Williams and Ernie Sims - all in the top 10 - all huge busts. That's in five consecutive drafts. The Jets have never, in their entire history as a franchise, ****ed up five consecutive first round picks like that. That may the worst stretch of 1st round picks ever and they were all in the top 10 of the draft, all in the period discussed by the OP of this thread.

I don't know that the Jets have ever even so much as earned five consecutive top 10 picks.  

The Lions recent "success" notwithstanding, they were so bad at the front end of this period they have only won 51 games in 12 years. 

I agree, that's a pretty bad stretch. The GENIOUS of Matt Millen.

Now let's take a look at the Patriots, who have the best record since '02, and revisit some of their "brilliant" draft choices:

Aaron Hernandez (113th pick, 2010)  --  Yeah, no chance they had any clue he was a drug-addicted sociopath coming into the league. 

Yeah, I'm sure the Pats win 147 games since '02 without lucking into Tom Brady, a 6th rounder, in 2000.  With this stellar draft history, who needs him!  No doubt they win multiple rings with Drew Bledsoe.

Just goes to show you what a HOF Qb does for your team.  The Pats have been a terrible drafting team since BB has become the GM.

Just goes to show you what a HOF Qb does for your team.  The Pats have been a terrible drafting team since BB has become the GM.

Remember though, unlike the poor teams, like the JETS, they are always drafting around 28 or lower. Must suck to always win 12 or 13 games and then have a low draft pick, right?

Remember though, unlike the poor teams, like the JETS, they are always drafting around 28 or lower. Must suck to always win 12 or 13 games and then have a low draft pick, right?

You're actually wrong (go figure), they always draft higher than that range.  The last time they drafted that low in the first was when they drafted right before the Jets at 27 and took McCourty...they typically trade out into the 2nd and end up with a higher pick for the following season.  Pretty sure they took Mankins at like 32 though...so you right about one or two instances.  But they've had plenty of picks in the teens or low 20's and few towards the back of the first.

You're actually wrong (go figure), they always draft higher than that range.  The last time they drafted that low in the first was when they drafted right before the Jets at 27 and took McCourty...they typically trade out into the 2nd and end up with a higher pick for the following season.  Pretty sure they took Mankins at like 32 though...so you right about one or two instances.  But they've had plenty of picks in the teens or low 20's and few towards the back of the first.

OK, so lets see, they draft poorly, their Head coach is an overrated has-been, they have a revolving door for any player who Belichick doesn't like, YET, they win 12 or 13 games every year, and always win the AFC east, and make the playoffs.

CONCLUSION: Brady is God, the Dalai Lama, and Hercules all rolled into one.

OK, so lets see, they draft poorly, their Head coach is an overrated has-been, they have a revolving door for any player who Belichick doesn't like, YET, they win 12 or 13 games every year, and always win the AFC east, and make the playoffs.

CONCLUSION: Brady is God, the Dalai Lama, and Hercules all rolled into one.

Brady obviously makes them better, but they've had a lot of players who come in and play great.  They seem to find crappy players other teams discard and wind up turning them into useful players.    

And remember, this is the same team who went 11-5 the year Brady missed most of the season. 

Archived