Trade down w/ Cle @ 26 to gain another 3rd?

eboozer

Cle. has 10 picks(7 in first 4 rds) We would have picks 26, 49, 69, 71, 80. If you could get ASJ or Amaro @26 and a quality 2nd tier WR @49, I see the real value with the 3 picks in the 3rd. Gives Idzik a lot of options.

#18 is "no mans land" in this draft. Watkins, Evans, Mack, Barr, QB's and even Ebron may be gone. Lee at 18 does not thrill me.

Man, I hope Idzik is like "Cool Hand Luke" on Draft Day. A big haul of exceptional players( like Minn.  Floyd, Patterson and Rhodes) and we're back in the chase for AFC East

Cle. has 10 picks(7 in first 4 rds) We would have picks 26, 49, 69, 71, 80. If you could get ASJ or Amaro @26 and a quality 2nd tier WR @49, I see the real value with the 3 picks in the 3rd. Gives Idzik a lot of options.

#18 is "no mans land" in this draft. Watkins, Evans, Mack, Barr, QB's and even Ebron may be gone. Lee at 18 does not thrill me.

Man, I hope Idzik is like "Cool Hand Luke" on Draft Day. A big haul of exceptional players( like Minn.  Floyd, Patterson and Rhodes) and we're back in the chase for AFC East

So if there is not going to be anybody good at 18, why would Cleveland trade up?

If this is the case, as has already been stated, it's not likely that someone's going to want to trade up in the spot. Even Cleveland.

If Idzik and the Jets feel this way, I'd think they'd be more likely to trade up a few spots to grab the last of what they see as the best players in the draft, rather than trying to trade down to add more picks.

So if there is not going to be anybody good at 18, why would Cleveland trade up?

They have different needs than we do. There could be a player they covet who could be available to them at 18 and not at 20 - 26. Just the same as people saying we trade up to #7 to get Teddy or Johnny football. A 3rd for a team with 7 picks in the first 123, is not too great a sacrifice.

If this is the case, as has already been stated, it's not likely that someone's going to want to trade up in the spot. Even Cleveland.

If Idzik and the Jets feel this way, I'd think they'd be more likely to trade up a few spots to grab the last of what they see as the best players in the draft, rather than trying to trade down to add more picks.

We have more gaps than Cle. I don't think we can afford to trade up with all our needs.... if FA gives us that luxury, then by all means.

They have different needs than we do. There could be a player they covet who could be available to them at 18. Just the same as people saying we trade up to #7 to get Teddy or Johnny football. A 3rd for a team with 7 picks in the first 123, is not too great a sacrifice.

You mentioned Cleveland, so I thought you had looked at their roster and speculated about who might be there at 18 that they'd want and couldn't get at 26.

We have more gaps than Cle. I don't think we can afford to trade up with all our needs.... if FA gives us that luxury, then by all means.

Than Cleveland? Wow, things are bad.

The Jets will have a lot of free agent money, and if they're smart with it, a lot of those gaps should be filled - at the very least, with stop-gaps. Ideally, the team will address as many needs as possible in free agency, giving them the freedom to go BAP throughout the draft. They also should have something like 12 picks in that draft, which also gives them flexibility. If they feel that there's a plateau of elite-ish talent that spans a dozen players or so, I'd rather they spend a pick to land one of those elite players.

They could also trade up in round one for a the cost of a third round pick, then trade back in round two and get a fourth rounder back. Again, to me, the idea of the draft is to maximize value. Sometimes that means adding picks, sometimes it means drafting the best player. Being flexible in every round is key to that.

But again, who do you think might be there at 18 that would compel Cleveland to spend a third rounder to move up eight slots?

You mentioned Cleveland, so I thought you had looked at their roster and speculated about who might be there at 18 that they'd want and couldn't get at 26.

At that point in the draft 18-25 DT & DL are very good value (Tuitt, Nix, Jernigan) They might want to land one of those players, especially the ND lineman.

Cle. has been lacking pass rush especially since Mingo can't generate a rush when the OL get their hands on him. One of those DL can collapse the pocket and free up Mingo.

The Jets will have a lot of free agent money, and if they're smart with it, a lot of those gaps should be filled - at the very least, with stop-gaps. Ideally, the team will address as many needs as possible in free agency, giving them the freedom to go BAP throughout the draft. They also should have something like 12 picks in that draft, which also gives them flexibility. If they feel that there's a plateau of elite-ish talent that spans a dozen players or so, I'd rather they spend a pick to land one of those elite players.

They could also trade up in round one for a the cost of a third round pick, then trade back in round two and get a fourth rounder back. Again, to me, the idea of the draft is to maximize value. Sometimes that means adding picks, sometimes it means drafting the best player. Being flexible in every round is key to that.

But again, who do you think might be there at 18 that would compel Cleveland to spend a third rounder to move up eight slots?

Cleveland has better TE, WR, S, CB's. Jets have better DL and RB. OL about equal. They have more skill position weapons. IMO

At that point in the draft 18-25 DT & DL are very good value (Tuitt, Nix, Jernigan) They might want to land one of those players, especially the ND lineman.

Cle. has been lacking pass rush especially since Mingo can't generate a rush when the OL get their hands on him. One of those DL can collapse the pocket and free up Mingo.

Archived