3 positions to watch in Jets vs. Colts game

faba

By Darryl Slater | The Star-Ledger 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on August 07, 2014 at 8:00 AM, updated August 07, 2014 at 8:02 AM

Reddit

Email

When the Jets play their first preseason game, tonight at home against the Colts, all eyes will be on second-year quarterback Geno Smith. The Jets have made the starting job his to lose this offseason. Through 10 training camp practices, excluding an intrasquad scrimmage, Smith has received 81 percent of the snaps with the starters. In addition to the performance of Smith and his likely backup, Michael Vick, here are three other positions worth monitoring tonight:

RUNNING BACK

This will be Chris Johnson’s first action in a Jets uniform against an opposing team. Because of his receiving skills, the Jets could use him in varied ways this season. But how much will offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg tip his hand tonight with these plays? Bilal Powell is going to be fighting for playing time in the backfield, what with Johnson and Chris Ivory in the mix. Powell has been struggling with a hamstring injury lately, but coach Rex Ryan did not rule him out of playing against the Colts. Powell needs to show this month that he deserves to continue getting carries. Last season, he split the workload with Ivory, who emerged as a more productive player.

CORNERBACK

Dimitri Patterson, whom the Jets signed in the offseason to play opposite Dee Milliner, has been spotty of late in training camp. He is currently dealing with a calf/ankle injury. In Saturday’s intrasquad scrimmage, Stephen Hill burned Patterson for a 41-yard completion. Patterson has played in just 15 games combined over the past two seasons, because of injuries. He made four interceptions in six games last year with the Dolphins. Still, he was a bargain free agent signing by the Jets, after Miami cut him. The Jets did not land any of the elite free agent corners available this year. Will they regret that? Ryan has praised Milliner’s progress, but is he ready to be a No. 1 corner? Tonight is the first step toward the Jets answering that question.

WIDE RECEIVER

Eric Decker and Johnson are the Jets’ two new offensive toys. Decker’s action could be limited against the Colts, because of hamstring and foot injuries that are not considered serious. Decker insists he is fine. Ryan said Decker will play tonight. But for how long? There is no sense in getting him hurt in a meaningless game. Hill and David Nelson are competing for playing time at the outside receiver spot opposite Decker. There is a lot of hope surrounding Hill, whose knees are finally healthy. In his third season, can he finally break through and show he was worthy of the Jets drafting him in the second round? Tonight also will be important for lower-profile receivers, like Greg Salas, who are battling for roster spots. Of the 12 receivers the Jets currently have, they will keep six or seven after final cuts.

I'm intrigued my Amaro too...I get that he's a rookie, but the one thing he was supposed to be able to do was catch the ball, and the vast majority of what I've read about him has said he hasn't been doing that (or anything else) very well.

I'm looking forward to seeing the WR position, QB position, LB position and Safety position. I want to see what guys like Coples, Vick, Smith, Jeremy Reeves and Rontez Miles are bringing to the table. I don't see the CB position being that much of an issue for as long as we're spreading talent around to our LB and S positions. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the WR position, QB position, LB position and Safety position. I want to see what guys like Coples, Vick, Smith, Jeremy Reeves and Rontez Miles are bringing to the table. I don't see the CB position being that much of an issue for as long as we're spreading talent around to our LB and S positions. 

I am most interested at the 3 positions with big log jams.  WR, CB and OLB.  They have a bunch of bodies at those positions and plenty of them are interesting, but can they play?  Fugger, IK, Reilly have legit shots.  That is in addition to seeing how all the new guys look, CJ, Babin, and the draft picks.  Will the Oline be horrible?  I don't think we will see much of Decker at all.  I bet he gets one series.

Archived