Blessing in disguise?

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

Don't get me wrong.  I was very upset to hear about Dex and Dee getting hurt.  I had very high hopes for what Dex could bring and feel it's a blow to our team.  No question.

However, after a few days of thinking about our defensive situation now that we have these injuries I think this could actually be a bit of a blessing in disguise.

First off, Dee will be coming back.  He's not out for the season.  That's a positive.

But what I mean is this.  I've felt that in recent years Rex put his corners on too much of an island and with our weak, conventional pass rush (4 or 5 players) our secondary got exposed frequently.  Cromartie couldn't cover all year but Rex was hell bent of playing bump and run.  Dee was struggling and Rex was stubborn and not deviating.  I felt all along that with our talented front seven (the best group on our entire football team) we should play a bit more conservatively on the outside, gamble less and force teams to go on long, multi play drives to beat us. I feel we're talented enough on defense to not have to gamble as much as we have in recent years.

Rex will always scheme to create pressure.  That's who he is.  But I feel he'll play much more conservatively now that our corners are beat up a bit and rely upon a more conventional pass rush (we have the horses), forcing teams to go on long drives to score...I think this is a benefit.  

Less bump and run with no safety support.  A bit more of a conservative style from our back four and I think this team will prevent big plays, forcing teams to run a lot of plays to score...

Remember, defensive ranking really doesn't matter.  Points allowed is what matters.  And I feel a touch more conventional football, less risky football will help us give up less points defensively.  These injuries could lead to that...

I totally agree with you. Rex is already showing some surprising flexibility, altho the NY Times today says that his player moves are straddling the line between creativity and desperation.  But as you say, his defensive schemes now have to reflect current realities. And they need to get a potential starter in asap at CB.  A creative trade by Idzik would not be uncalled for.

Don't get me wrong.  I was very upset to hear about Dex and Dee getting hurt.  I had very high hopes for what Dex could bring and feel it's a blow to our team.  No question.

However, after a few days of thinking about our defensive situation now that we have these injuries I think this could actually be a bit of a blessing in disguise.

First off, Dee will be coming back.  He's not out for the season.  That's a positive.

But what I mean is this.  I've felt that in recent years Rex put his corners on too much of an island and with our weak, conventional pass rush (4 or 5 players) our secondary got exposed frequently.  Cromartie couldn't cover all year but Rex was hell bent of playing bump and run.  Dee was struggling and Rex was stubborn and not deviating.  I felt all along that with our talented front seven (the best group on our entire football team) we should play a bit more conservatively on the outside, gamble less and force teams to go on long, multi play drives to beat us. I feel we're talented enough on defense to not have to gamble as much as we have in recent years.

Rex will always scheme to create pressure.  That's who he is.  But I feel he'll play much more conservatively now that our corners are beat up a bit and rely upon a more conventional pass rush (we have the horses), forcing teams to go on long drives to score...I think this is a benefit.  

Less bump and run with no safety support.  A bit more of a conservative style from our back four and I think this team will prevent big plays, forcing teams to run a lot of plays to score...

Remember, defensive ranking really doesn't matter.  Points allowed is what matters.  And I feel a touch more conventional football, less risky football will help us give up less points defensively.  These injuries could lead to that...

Some decent points in there.

I'd add this. If our offense can stay on the field, it'll lessen the burden of our defense. For the past 5 years I've felt like Rex's defense has been fantastic (more often than not) and the fact that they are always on the field is a credit to him and them. I'd love it if just once, for a whole season, our offense can consistently keep the defense fresh every week.

Archived