Poll: Are you rooting for a meaningless win or a better draft pick?

Jetsbb

Are you rooting for a meaningless win or a better draft pick?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. I want the Jets to

• Lose to the Titans and get a better draft pick
    • Beat the Titans and get a worse draft pick

Here's a few hypothetical "out of the box" side effects based on what we do in the last three weeks of the season.

1. Beating Miami in Wk 17 may knock them out of the playoffs. That could get their coach fired / maybe their GM too. Which in turn could lead to roster turnover etc. They could be an easier opponent in 2015 as a result
  2. Losing to Miami in Wk 17 may put them in the playoffs. That could help them with signing free agents next year (maybe guys we're after too). It would give the team that belief that they are getting closer. They could be a harder opponent in 2015 as a result
  3. Our result against New England in Wk 16 will affect the overall playoff seeding. That could very easily contribute to the Patsies making the Superbowl or the Patsies getting blown out on the road in Denver in the AFCCG

So there are other effects to consider beyond our own draft spot. Will we feel happier with the #1 draft spot while Brady hoists the Lombardi in Feb, or would having the #2 or #3 spot and a Patsie road blowout feel better overall?

I would probably disagree with two of these:  

1.  If we knock out Miami, and get their coach fired, you also have to account for the possibility that they can get someone better as coach (exactly what we're hoping for) and then get better for years to come because of that.   I don't think Philbin is all that great of a coach, so I'd rather he stay on.  

2.  It could possibly put them in the playoffs, but their salary cap situation for next year isn't that great.  They have a high amount of salary tied into the roster, so unless they can move Wallace off the roster in a trade, they aren't going to be big players in the free agent market atleast according to the numbers on over the cap.  

3.  The Pats getting homefield would hurt, but in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it matters that much.  By virtue of their regular season wins over Denver and Baltimore, the Pats are in the driver's seat for playoff bye and home field.  So the Pats most likely will get a bye.  And the Pats have two other games that they play, where I can root against them to lose as well to lose the home field advantage, it isn't like we're the only team standing in their way.  

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3.  The Pats getting homefield would hurt, but in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it matters that much.  By virtue of their regular season wins over Denver and Baltimore, the Pats are in the driver's seat for playoff bye and home field.  So the Pats most likely will get a bye.  And the Pats have two other games that they play, where I can root against them to lose as well to lose the home field advantage, it isn't like we're the only team standing in their way.  

Their three games are against Buffalo, Miami and us. We're their only road game, other two are at home. They bet Buffalo on the road when Buffalo were playing better, I don't see them losing that one at all if there's anything at stake. Miami this weekend, again i just don't see it. Patsies are playing much better now than when they met on opening day, and the Phish are about to implode again IMHO.

Rexy will want to give this game everything he has, as (1) his last home game and (2) his last game vs. his old nemesis. And you know the players will be behind him on that, playing the spoiler role, with nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I'm not saying it's likely, but I think it's the best chance of a Patsie loss. Then if Denver win out they get the #1 seed.

Archived