Pro Day notes from our own Tony Pauline

32EBoozer

Tony's got some great insight into the Pro Days & which teams were represented.
Check out his articles and follow him on Facebook
https://twitter.com/TonyPauline

2015 Pro Day Notes: Thursday, March 5, 8:00 p.m.
By Tony Pauline, http://draftinsider.net/

Nebraska
First the back story.

Randy Gregory's escapades at Sports Science in Los Angeles have been well documented, but his appearance at the filming almost caused him to miss pro day. I'm told due to adverse weather conditions, Gregory's flights were routed then re-routed, and he almost spending a full day in the airport before finally arriving back in Nebraska at 1:30 a.m. today.

From the standpoint of position drills, I'm told Gregory looked terrific. He did both linebacker and defensive line drills, and really impressed, though some were surprised the workout was shorter than expected. I hope to have Gregory's 3-cone and shuttles times later. I can confirm Gregory did meet one-on-one with the San Francisco 49ers.

I'm told Ameer Abdullah looked terrific in drills and was outstanding catching the ball. Sources say he presented himself as a legitimate downfield pass-catching threat.

Illinois
Tight end Matt LaCosse really impressed scouts. After measuring 6-5 7/8 and 258 pounds, he timed 4.66 and 4.67 in the 40. LaCosse completed 30 reps on the bench, posted a vertical jump of 30 inches and a broad of 9-8. Afterward, he caught the ball well.

LaCosse's numbers have been erroneously reported as those ofJon Davis on the Internet today, but Davis, the team's other tight end, fared well. Davis measured 6-3, 245, timed 4.68/4.70 in the 40 and caught the ball well.

Consensus from scouts is they'll need to go back and watch both players from 2013, as the Fighting Illini's changed offense dismissed the tight end position last season.

Utah State
Linebacker Zachary Vigil tested very well. He timed 4.63 in the 40, completed 26 reps on the bench and posted a broad jump of 9-6. Vigil came in at 602 and 236 pounds.

Follow Tony Pauline @TonyPauline.

http://walterfootball.com/proday.php

2015 Pro Day Notes: Thursday, March 5, 5:25 p.m.

Nebraska
I'm still waiting on results from Nebraska pro day but this I can tell you: As of yesterday, the San Francisco 49ers were expected to meet with Randy Gregory after today's workout.

I'm told the times for running back Ameer Abdullah were all over the place, as pro-day times usually are. The first times were in the high 4.5s, with the second clocking showing 4.45 on the watches of a few coaches. The consensus is that the final time will be in right around 4.50. Regardless, it was much better than his Combine performance.

New Mexico
The star of the pro day in New Mexico was not a Lobo; rather, Tyler Slavin, a receiver from New Mexico Highlands, who totaled 106 receptions for 1,234 yards and 15 touchdowns last year.

Slavin measured 6-2, 215 pounds, then ran 4.52/4.54 in the 40, touched 34 inches in the vertical jump and 9-7 in the broad. Slavin also caught the ball very well and if nothing else, secured an invitation to camp this summer.

The St Louis Rams, Arizona Cardinals, San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders were on hand.

2015 Pro Day Notes: Thursday, March 5, 12:35 p.m.

Clemson
Here are even more numbers and notes from the Clemson Pro Day:

Grady Jarrett tipped the scales at 298 pounds (304 lbs. at the Combine).

Watson measured 6-4, 298, posted a vertical jump of 32.5 inches, broad jump of 9-2, and a short shuttle of 4.49.

Crawford told people on hand the reason he did not participate at the Senior Bowl was due to a high ankle sprain. Crawford's non-appearance in Mobile rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Again, I continue to hear multiple sources gush over how the entire group of defensive linemen performed.

2015 Pro Day Notes: Thursday, March 5, 12:30 p.m. (update)

Clemson
Clemson is done with the testing, and the players are now going through drills at present time.

Here's an interesting note on Vic Beasley, whom I'm told tipped the scales at 246 pounds today. The explosive defender did not meet with any teams last night as two days ago, his uncle passed away. An uncle who evidently was like a second dad to Beasley. Beasley went to the funeral and drove back to school yesterday, arriving on campus at 4 a.m. this morning for the pro-day workout.

A few numbers from today's Clemson workout:

Defensive tackle Josh Watson 37 reps on the bench, Grady 33 reps on the bench (30 at combine), Corey Crawford just 17 on bench (did not participate at Combine).

Watson ran an impressive 4.95 in the 40. Quandon Christian, who graduated in 2013 and was in camp last summer, posted a 4.75 40.

I'm told scouts and coaches came away impressed with the practice drills of all the defensive linemen.

2015 Pro Day Notes: Thursday, March 5, 11:50 a.m.

Two top-10 picks are on the pro-day schedule today as teams visit Clemson (Vic Beasley) and Nebraska (Randy Gregory).

Nebraska
The Minnesota Vikings have spent and extensive amount of time with Gregory before the start of today's workout. We expected there will be a team or two who grabs him afterward. At the time of posting, Gregory is only planning on participating in position drills.

Purdue
I'm told yesterday Purdue's Ryan Russell met with the Arizona Cardinals and Philadelphia Eagles during the Boilermakers' pro day. Interesting in that the Eagles will be looking to replace Trent Cole, whom they recently cut.

2015 Pro Day Notes: Wednesday, March 4, 4:35 p.m. (update)

Mississippi State
I'm learning more from the Mississippi State pro-day.

Cornerback Jamerson Love was timed at 4.49 seconds in the 40, while receiver Jameon Lewis was in the 4.57-second range.

Teams came away very impressed with the versatility Preston Smith displayed. He was quick and fast off the edge in defensive line drills and also fluid in linebacker drills.

I'm told Benardrick McKinney looked good in pass-rush drills. If he does land in the latter part of Round 1, those leaving the pro-day believe the Green Bay Packers and Dallas Cowboys are teams that could potentially pull the trigger. The surprise team in the mix are the Houston Texans, who are likely to lose Brooks Reed in free agency.

Texas A&M
A little more on cornerback Deshazor Everett. I'm told he looked smooth and very fluid in all the drills besides running faster than many expected. After the workout, Everett met with the Tampa Bay Bucs, Carolina Panthers and Houston Texans.

James Madison
The James Madison pro-day took place yesterday with headliner Dean Marlowe taking part in defensive back drills.

Two prospects of note.

Sage Harold, the team's defensive end who projects to linebacker and a relative of Virginia's Eli Harold, timed under 4.7 seconds in the 40 with some watches having him as fast as 4.63 seconds.

Daniel Brown, the team's leading receiver the past two seasons, timed between 4.52 seconds and 4.58 seconds in the 40 after measuring 6-foor-4.5 and 227 pounds. His othermarks included a 6.88-second time in the three-cone drill and a 4.15-second time in the short shuttle.

2015 Pro Day Notes: Wednesday, March 4, 2:35 p.m.

Mississippi State, Texas A&M and Purdue headline today's pro-days as information is starting to filter in.

Purdue
Ryan Russell, the Boilermakers' only combine attendee, decided to run the 40 again and timed slightly faster than in Indianapolis. Russell ran 4.70-second time, compared to a hand-held best of 4.71 seconds at the combine. He also ran through both outside linebacker and defensive end drills. Russell, a sleeper of sorts, could end up being selected earlier than people presently project as teams like his size, athleticism and versatility to line-up in different defensive packages.

Skill player Akeem Hunt was very impressive today, timing 4.37 seconds in the 40 and 3.96 seconds in the short shuttle, and posting a vertical jump of 37 1/2 inches and a broad jump of 10-2. During drills, he looked outstanding at catching the ball. Like Corey Grant of Auburn, Hunt is a legitimate triple-threat skill player with the ability to carry the ball around the perimeter, catch the ball out of the backfield, or line up and return kicks or punts. Someone will get a steal in the late rounds or as an undrafted FA with him.

Gabe Holmes, the one-time highly rated tight end who has struggled with injury the past few seasons, timed in the 4.7-second range in the 40, posted a vertical jump of 33 1/2 inches and completed 21 reps on the bench.

Texas A&M
Many were surprised when cornerback Deshazor Everett was not invited to the combine, and he justified that surprise today. His marks included 4.47-second time in the 40, a 6.78-second time in the three-cone drill, a vertical jump of 38 inches and 10-10 in the broad jump. Over the past two days, Everett has met privately with the San Francisco 49ers, Miami Dolphins and Chicago Bears.

Mississippi State
Almost 30 teams were on hand for the Mississippi State pro-day, including New York Jets defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers and a number of defensive linecoaches.

Defensive lineman Kaleb Eulls, another combine snub who participated in the Senior Bowl, measured 6-foot-2.5, posted a vertical jump of 28 inches, completed 26 reps on the bench and ran the 40 in times of 5.09 and 5.19 seconds.

Preston Smith and Benardrick McKinney worked out at both defensive line and linebacker drills.

I'm told if there was a surprise of the day it was tight end Malcolm Johnson, who drew rave reviews from scouts. The senior, who posted 28 receptions for 380 yards and three scores in 2014, looked terrific catching the ball and had some drawing comparisons to 9-year veteran Delanie Walker.

I would expect more times from the Mississippi State pro-day shortly.

Jalen Strong

2015 Pro Day Notes: Friday, March 6, 4:50 p.m.

ArizonaState_logo.gif Arizona State
More from Arizona State:

Offensive lineman Jamil Douglas stood on most of his Combine numbers, running just the short shuttle (4.53-4.57) and three cone (7.67). Hal Hunter of the Indianapolis Colts then put Douglas through a guard workout, and the overwhelming comments were very positive.

Safety Damarious Randall did defensive back position drills and fielded punts. He looked very good, and there was a feeling from the workout that Randall will not get out of the second round of the draft. He is meeting with the Cleveland Browns in the coming days.

I'm told for the most part receiver Jaelen Strong looked good, though he did not catch every pass, which raised a few eyebrows.

SouthernMiss_logo.gif Southern Miss
Almost 20 teams were on hand for pro day at Southern Miss, and their focus was primarily for one player: junior defensive lineman Rakeem Nunez-Roches. Standing on his Combine numbers, Nunez-Roches did positional drills for almost 40 minutes in a workout run by the Kansas City Chiefs. Scouts on hand were impressed and came away feeling the defensive lineman had definitely helped his draft stock. After the workout, Nunez-Roches spent a large amount of time with the Washington Redskins.

2015 Pro Day Notes: Friday, March 6, 4:20 p.m.

GardnerWebb_logo.gif Gardner Webb
The Buffalo Bills, Kansas City Chiefs, Tennessee Titans, Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Giants, Denver Broncos, Seattle Seahawks, Carolina Panthers and Cleveland Browns were on hand for pro day at Gardner Webb, which was run outside in the cold and damp weather.

Despite slippery conditions, receiver Kenny Cook timed 4.54 on his second 40 after slipping during his first attempt. Cook, who caught 64 receptions for 758 yards and five touchdowns last season, measured 6-0 3/8, 208 pounds, had a vertical leap of 32 inches and posted a broad jump of 10 feet. His arm measured 34.5 inches, while his hand was 10 3/8 inches, impressive for a receiver.

ArizonaState_logo.gif Arizona State
Marcus Hardison, who did not participate at the Combine because of an injury, stood out and was a star at Arizona State's pro day. Hardison measured 6-3 1/4, 305 pounds, then ran his 40s in times of 4.92 and 4.95, though some watches had him in the 4.8s. His 10 split was in the 1.70 range. Hardison's short shuttle timed at 4.68 with a 7.29 three-cone.

Hardison looked terrific in line drills, which was run by the Minnesota Vikings, as scouts commented on his exceptional quick twitch muscles. Coaches in attendance remarked that had he been able to run at the Combine, Hardison would've ranked as one of the top overall performers on the defensive line. Yesterday, Hardison met privately with the Miami Dolphins and San Francisco 49ers.

Thanks for keeping these updated boozer.  Not a whole lot written on Jalen unfortunately.

Yeah... sounds like he had a tough day. Maybe they bring him in for a personal workout.

If we do the Eagle deal he and DGB might be there at #20

Archived