Kenrick Ellis To Giants

NYJetsVets91

Problem is they don't seem eager to do so. It's an odd stance. Keep 31 year old Harris whose strength is one-sided (run-stopping) and his pricetag is a guaranteed $7.5M for 2 years. Then on the other hand, let Harrison hit free agency, potentially for as low as the #64 pick. Snacks may be similarly one-sided but is less $, is far younger, and is so good at what he does the team doesn't need a dedicated run-stopper at ILB.

Hope this isn't the case, but their actions suggest they want to let Snacks go and would rather have the draft pick.

can't the Jets match any offer Snacks gets?

You think he is worth a 1st round tender? The Jets have right of refusal. They may be hoping for an early 2nd round tender.

Proven nose tackle who is still young in the first?  Sure, why not?  I am not saying he is worth a high first, but a team in the bottom third of the draft order with cap room and a need could lock him up and immediately plug him into their line with no questions whatsoever.  If the price is high enough, the Jets do not match and get a low second round pick.  I would be shocked if the market is not there for Snacks.  Best case, the Jets wind up bidding against themselves if they intended to keep him but let him hit FA instead.

BTW, the Jets lost a fallback player when Ellis signed with the Gints.  Leverage goes to Snacks' camp, unless the Jets have a really good Samoan that nobody knows about in the woodpile.

can't the Jets match any offer Snacks gets?

Sure, but teams generally do that only after contract negotiations break down and they tag the player as a temporary fail-safe. There have been no such breakdowns -- or even any negotiations at all.

He wants the pick. If he truly wanted the player that badly, a GM who handed out the contracts he's done so far wouldn't get cute over $1M for his starting NT when his #2 NT was also a FA himself (and who incidentally just signed with the Giants with no reports of the Jets making a last-ditch effort to bring him back).

Sure, but teams generally do that only after contract negotiations break down and they tag the player as a temporary fail-safe. There have been no such breakdowns -- or even any negotiations at all.

He wants the pick. If he truly wanted the player that badly, a GM who handed out the contracts he's done so far wouldn't get cute over $1M for his starting NT when his #2 NT was also a FA himself (and who incidentally just signed with the Giants with no reports of the Jets making a last-ditch effort to bring him back).

Scary effin' thought if you are correct and a very dumb move. Is he stockpiling the pick to move up?  I just do not get it.  

Scary effin' thought if you are correct and a very dumb move. Is he stockpiling the pick to move up?  I just do not get it.  

I don't know, but it could be as simple as his main background being scouting and he just wants the extra pick. Or that Bowles simply doesn't want Harrison because he doesn't get to the QB. No way of knowing for certain until/unless he's actually moved and we see what is done with the pick.

Archived