Rich Kotite... some history ~ ~ ~

kelly

Yet...he did coach after that.

Parcells has some deep rooted issues.... that go beyond football.

Good list...the SB IMO gives WEEB the one spot and I believe Carroll got the shaft.

The Michaels firing was the typical bone head move that JETS management has made for 40 years.

Michaels took over a 3-11 team and went 3-11 his first year then went 8-8 2 years in a row and then 4-12. If the internet was around then Jet fans would have had the can the bum move going.. Walt has just 2 winning seasons in 6 years mainly because of bad QB play from Todd..

Parcells should have become the HC after Belichick ditched the organization in 2000.  We wouldn't have had to deal with back2back duds like Groh and Edwards.

He offered to ride in on his white horse to save the day but wanted $8 mil per and Woody rightfully said no thanks.

The reason that article was terrible is that Kotite's problem was definitely NOT personnel.. His problem on those teams was lack of conditioning and discipline - and he was a HORRIBLE coach with a terrible staff...

The talent level of those teams was actually pretty good... He found undrafted talent like (previously mentioned) Chrebet and Chad Cascadden as undrafted rookies... That same core was good enough to go 9-7 with Parcells the following year and then to an AFC Championship.

If Kotite was bad because of Vance Joseph - what was Rex/Idzik after that secondary we marched out there last year... Everett McIver was bad? What was Wayne Hunter?

If you wanna rip Kotite, there are a long list of ways to do it and not sound like you have no clue what you are talking about.. This article was a total fail.

Michaels took over a 3-11 team and went 3-11 his first year then went 8-8 2 years in a row and then 4-12. If the internet was around then Jet fans would have had the can the bum move going.. Walt has just 2 winning seasons in 6 years mainly because of bad QB play from Todd..

I was in HS and college then  and perhaps you are right BUT  I remember the JETS simply being a bottom team that NO ONE could help.

The sack exchange, Freeman McNeil , Walker, etc....   that changed it and Michaels was the coach.  Keeping him and NOT hiring Walton would have been my choice.

I was in HS and college then  and perhaps you are right BUT  I remember the JETS simply being a bottom team that NO ONE could help.

The sack exchange, Freeman McNeil , Walker, etc....   that changed it and Michaels was the coach.  Keeping him and NOT hiring Walton would have been my choice.

I agree with you.

We have to remember it was a different world back then.  Walt Micheals took over an embarrassingly bad team, perhaps the worst in the NFL (other than expansion TB), and without FA he had to build exclusively through the draft.  Even in Michaels  first year when the team went 3-11, it was a much "better" 3-11 then the previous year because they were competitive in most games and actually looked disciplined! They just didn't have the talent yet to win but at least they looked like an NFL team.  If you review his drafts he slowly brought in quality players, but they were young and needed time to develop .  Michaels was one of the reasons I decided to buy season tickets in 1978, I finally felt the team was moving in the right direction.

I always thought Michaels was Parcells opposite. I thought he was great at evaluating/getting talent but was a below average HC.

I always thought Michaels was Parcells opposite. I thought he was great at evaluating/getting talent but was a below average HC.

Michaels was a  very good evaluator of talent.  Back in the day what used to frustrate fans about Michaels was that he was a pretty conservative coach.  Sometimes with a lead he would continuously run rather then try to extend the lead.  Some of that thought process may have been that Todd was prone to throw interceptions, but I think Michaels was conservative by nature.

An interesting point about his talent evaluations, I remember listening to Hub Arkush Jr., editior/publisher of Pro Football Weekly, who used to do a regular appearance on the Art Rust Jr show on WABC in the early to mid 1980's.  Anyway sometime in late 1983, during one of his appearances he told Art Rust that had Michaels not gotten fired an interesting showdown was developing with Michaels and the Jets upper management. It seems that Michaels wanted to draft Dan Marino but the Jets upper management did not want Marino.  It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Walt didn't get replaced.  I guess we will never know.

Michaels was a very good evaluator of talent. Back in the day what used to frustrate fans about Michaels was that he was a pretty conservative coach. Sometimes with a lead he would continuously run rather then try to extend the lead. Some of that thought process may have been that Todd was prone to throw interceptions, but I think Michaels was conservative by nature.

An interesting point about his talent evaluations, I remember listening to Hub Arkush Jr., editior/publisher of Pro Football Weekly, who used to do a regular appearance on the Art Rust Jr show on WABC in the early to mid 1980's. Anyway sometime in late 1983, during one of his appearances he told Art Rust that had Michaels not gotten fired an interesting showdown was developing with Michaels and the Jets upper management. It seems that Michaels wanted to draft Dan Marino but the Jets upper management did not want Marino. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Walt didn't get replaced. I guess we will never know.

He was conservative. Those teams had talent to play aggressively, especially the few seasons Todd played well. I was in the stands with the start of the Michaels era too, beat you by one season.

Never heard the Marino story, if true makes the whole Marino to the fins that much worse.

I totally would have kept Michael's I hated Walton but his record was 39-47 one tie and 2-2 in the playoffs. You know who his OC was his first 3 years as HC?? John Idzik Sr  :biggrin:  In 1978 the Jets were 3rd in points scored.. Walts problem was he drank and argued with Kensil the team president and Hess thought he had mental problems.. He once told Chuck Ramsey the punter that he could fart farther then he could kick..   And he was paranoid when it came to Al Davis who fired him from the Raiders and Don Shula who never put a tarp on the field before the AFCCG..

I totally would have kept Michael's I hated Walton but his record was 39-47 one tie and 2-2 in the playoffs. You know who his OC was his first 3 years as HC?? John Idzik Sr  :biggrin:  In 1978 the Jets were 3rd in points scored.. Walts problem was he drank and argued with Kensil the team president and Hess thought he had mental problems.. He once told Chuck Ramsey the punter that he could fart farther then he could kick..   And he was paranoid when it came to Al Davis who fired him from the Raiders and Don Shula who never put a tarp on the field before the AFCCG..

As Walt's record wasn't gaudy but he was a good HC.  His teams were generally prepared, played hard and he wasn't really out coached even by the top coaches in the league at that time.

Also you are correct about what Hess believed but I honestly believe that Hess was clueless as I said before nice man, poor owner.

Hmmm and if you think about it did Kensil and the rest of Hess' merry men of brains running the organization know what they were doing?  Noooooooooooo 

Perhaps Walt was arguing because of this basic fact.

And as far as Al Davis goes ask Marcus Allen and scores of other players if Al wasn't off at times, held a grudge and vindictive.  And yes the screaming incident concerning the tarp affair in Miami was a disgrace.  But it was caused by Dolphin "cheating".  I honestly wish that Hess was more concerned about protecting HIS team then his own image!

Oh and the irony of it all in that Shula now has the nerve to insult the Pats when in fact he was willing to do practically anything to win the game and make sure his team had an unfair advantage whenever he could.

As Walt's record wasn't gaudy but he was a good HC.  His teams were generally prepared, played hard and he wasn't really out coached even by the top coaches in the league at that time.

Also you are correct about what Hess believed but I honestly believe that Hess was clueless as I said before nice man, poor owner.

Hmmm and if you think about it did Kensil and the rest of Hess' merry men of brains running the organization know what they were doing?  Noooooooooooo 

Perhaps Walt was arguing because of this basic fact.

And as far as Al Davis goes ask Marcus Allen and scores of other players if Al wasn't off at times, held a grudge and vindictive.  And yes the screaming incident concerning the tarp affair in Miami was a disgrace.  But it was caused by Dolphin "cheating".  I honestly wish that Hess was more concerned about protecting HIS team then his own image!

Oh and the irony of it all in that Shula now has the nerve to insult the Pats when in fact he was willing to do practically anything to win the game and make sure his team had an unfair advantage whenever he could.

Plus Walt had worked for Al Davis he knew he would stop at nothing to get any advantage he could.. Somewhere in Hell Al Davis is saying that Belichick is the coach I always wanted to be..LOL

Archived