5 Takeaways From Chris Ivory

flgreen

5 Takeaways from Chris Ivory News Conference

Posted 29 minutes ago

2012-randy-lange-headshot-thumb-60x60.pnRandy LangeSenior Reporter, newyorkjets.com@rlangejets Blog: Randy's Radar

•  
  •  
Jets RB Gives the Impression He's Ready to Let His Performance Do a Lot of Talking This Year

IMG_2922-article.jpg

Head coach Todd Bowles observed about Chris Ivory this week something that reporters and fans have noted the past two years: "He doesn't say much." And as Ivory said after today's seventh practice day of Jets training camp, "I just go out and play and let my performance speak for itself."

Well, Ivory's performance this week has been positively eloquent as he has made some impactful plays, whether in short yardage, on the goal line, or in other team drills. Here are five takeaways from today's impromptu news conference with No. 33:

1. Powering Up for 2015

During Wednesday's live tackling drills, Ivory gashed a 10-yard gain in short yardage and pounded two TDs in goal-line, one up the middle and the other on a bounceout to the pylon.

"Thank you," he said cordially when told he's been looking sharp this summer. "I was trying hard this offseason to get better, and that's my goal, to get better every year."

To prepare, he said he went through more of a track workout than usual this offseason. However he may have reshaped his body, he said he's still playing at the same weight, 228 pounds.

2. Ready to Ring the Bell?

Ivory sure looks the part of a 300-carry featured back, but that hasn't been his role. In '13 he andBilal Powell split the carries almost down the middle, and last season he and Chris Johnson divvied up the touches. He was asked how he's being used this camp and if, despite the backfield company of Powell,Daryl RichardsonZac Stacy and eventually Stevan Ridley, he can be the proverbial bellcow back in '15.

"Right now I'm doing pretty much everything. I'm just trying to make them feel comfortable with me in there with everything they have me doing," he said. "I'm not sure how that's going to work out, but I'm just looking forward to going in and when my number's called, just performing and making things happen."

3. YAC Attack

Is it possible to improve his already impressive yards-after-contact skills? "Yeah, that's a goal of mine," he replied, "just to be better every year and try to get better at my weaknesses."

Running after contact has not been a weakness. Two seasons ago he unofficially notched 3.22 yards after first contact, the second-best figure by a 100-carry Jets back since 2008 (Shonn Greene was at 3.31 in '09). Last year he "slipped" to 2.76, still the third-best figure in that span. If his blockers can help him improve his yards before contact, he can again provide a dangerous mix of power and elusiveness.

4. Receptive to More Receptions

Ivory was asked if the "everything" the coaches have had him doing include a greater presence in the passing game. "That could be the case," he said. "I'm ready for that challenge."

Ivory's receiving dimension has been a slow-developing picture. In his first three seasons with New Orleans, he had a total of four passes thrown to him and caught three. In 2013 he had eight targets, caught two and dropped three. Last year things picked up: 18 receptions for a 6.8-yard average, the first receiving TD of his career at Miami, and just one drop.

As some of you have figured out. I am usually a glass half empty. However, when it comes to Chris Ivory... I believe him to be a one-cut, angry SOB with serious burst. He is a 1300 yard rusher if they feed him the ball. The fact that he barely got 12 carries for most games the last two years was criminal negligence. CRIMINAL stupidity!

Archived