'Brandon Marshall Saved My Life': How the Star's Bravery Kept One Person Alive

ECURB

This video will make you like the guy even more. You can tell he really cares about helping himself and others.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2581004-brandon-marshall-saved-my-life-how-the-stars-bravery-kept-one-person-alive

In 2011, Brandon Marshall was atop the football world, but his personal life was in absolute shambles. After several run-ins with the law, Marshall realized his life needed changing, and fast.

Upon the recommendation of family, friends and advisors, Marshall checked himself into the McLean Hospital outside of Boston. There, Marshall had a life-changing experience when he was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD).

After his time at McLean, Marshall let the world into his mental illness when he went public in late July of that year. Marshall risked his career and reputation in doing so, but unbeknownst to him, that courage to tell the world eventually saved the life of another.

Learn more about Marshall's bravery and the young woman he saved in this video.

*Special thanks to Project 375 and "Borderline Beast" for some footage provided.

Hey, Ecurb, are you the guy that is getting his PhD in Psych?  I always heard that Border Personality Disorder is more of a character thing and not something that can be treated really...I find that odd.  Any truth to that?

Hey, Ecurb, are you the guy that is getting his PhD in Psych?  I always heard that Border Personality Disorder is more of a character thing and not something that can be treated really...I find that odd.  Any truth to that?

Inherent in the name is "Personality Disorder," which is far more characterological and stable than other mental illnesses (depression, anxiety, even psychotic disorders).  In certain ways then, yes, it is far more difficult to treat, but absolutely not untreatable.  Dialectical Behavior Therapy is treatment of choice and often the addition of pharmacology, in the form of a mood stabilizer.

Inherent in the name is "Personality Disorder," which is far more characterological and stable than other mental illnesses (depression, anxiety, even psychotic disorders).  In certain ways then, yes, it is far more difficult to treat, but absolutely not untreatable.  Dialectical Behavior Therapy is treatment of choice and often the addition of pharmacology, in the form of a mood stabilizer.

SOJF would be in the Personality Disorder  category I would assume??:)

Sorry... I am not and I have no idea.

Thank you for posting this. I have been singing Brandon Marshall's praises, even before he caught his first pass as a Jet, knowing his back-story and acknowledgment. It takes a big man and a lot of courage to do what he did. I knew it was only a matter of time until he would help someone outside of football. As we have been watching him this season, I am in awe of his physical talent, but I've also seen a him be an equally great person on the sideline. He seems to really care about his teammates. I especially liked him grabbing the ball after Fitz's TD scramble when he thought Fitz' son might want it.

Archived