Round 7: Film on Darrelle Revis

joerb31

In that game and vs Hopkins he should have had help over top.. Shutdown or not they were the opposing teams only weapons.. Why not just completely shut them down. And thank you, next up will be on Gilchrist

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Will be interesting to see if he actually lost a step or if was that he was playing injured

He definitely lost a step... Not 2009 Revis but in my opinion still a top 3 CB in the NFL... This year will tell A LOT

5 hours ago, joerb31 said:

He definitely lost a step... Not 2009 Revis but in my opinion still a top 3 CB in the NFL... This year will tell A LOT

Well he was 6 years older than 09 Revis a year ago so it's to be expected.  But the knee and wrist injuries had to contribute. 

He's OLDER! Of course he lost a step as far as speed goes. He used to not need help over the top, which is kind of amazing for a man-cover CB. I think we forget how freakin' good Revis actually was in his prime. There's a reason teams wouldn't even look in his direction- it was a waste of time. 

One thing to point out, injuries or not, Revis is the type of CB that never really relied on his speed and athleticism to be a great CB. It has always been his great awareness, footwork, hands and general knowledge and skill level of how to play the CB position. You could tell with the way he plays that he will still be very good even when he slows down due to injuries/age. If he DECIDES to play for a very long time, he CAN and still be effective. That includes moving to safely a la Charles Woodson. If he decides to play for a long time, he will not only be the best CB of all time but possibly one of the best defensive players of all time, IMO (as the numbers- and possibly championships- pile up).    

Archived