Jets-Jags breakdown: 2d Defensive/Offensive series'

Doggin94it

Takeaways:

1) Our depth on the DL is not very good. I expected Deon Simon to be better than this; he isn't, and may be headed to the PS.  That's a problem, because the Jets don't have another backup NT on the roster right now. Unless he shows rapid improvement over the next few weeks, I'd expect the NT position to be one of the few where the Jets would bring in a cut from another team after our "final" cut to 53.

2) The 3/4 wide formation with Enunwa switching between HBack and WR will be very tough to defend.  It's versatile and threatening. 

3) Brian Winters is really not very good at pass blocking. Hate to say it.  Still seeing fine work from Dozier at RG through 2 series', and Ijalana is anonymous at RT (which is a good thing).  Interested to see how this plays out

Play 1 – Yeldon run left

2d Team D in. Williams and Milliner at CB, Carter and Lee at ILB, Bailey & Miles at S, still Mauldin and Jenkins at OLB.  DL is Thomas-Simon-Jenkins (from offensive right to left)

Jarvis Jenkins fires off the ball and drives the LG into the backfield, but loses leverage and ends up walled off to the left, while Deon Simon is being driven to the right by the center.  Carter and Lee get blocked by the LT and RG, leaving nobody to fill the hole. A total team failure on this play.

Mauldin makes a terrific play to fly back from the backfield to the middle from his ROLB spot as he sees the hole open up; if not for his diving stop, or if Yeldon were just a little bit faster, this play goes 80 yards for a TD

Play 2 – Pass to Robinson

Jets in 2 deep with the second team.

Jets send Carter and Lee on a perfectly executed crossing double-A gap blitz, leaving Lee with a free run at Bortles.

Unfortunately, Bortles has Allen Robinson singled on Milliner, and this isn’t even “if he’s even he’s leavin’” – Bortles makes up his mind to throw this ball while Dee is still in perfect position a yard in front of Robinson.  Just a QB trusting his receiver on a back shoulder throw. 

This play looks identical to the pass Robinson caught over Skrine on the first drive, except Dee actually has better coverage and tries to make a play on the ball.  Robinson is just a beast.

Play 3 – Free play deep ball to Robinson      

Deon Simon, playing directly over the ball, jumps on the hard count.  Unforgiveable (Thomas jumps as well). 

Gotta assume “leave Dee in single coverage against a stud WR” won’t be an option when they start game planning.  Again, Dee in good position, but he’s got to make a better play on the ball there.  Can’t keep losing 50-50 balls if you want to play in this league

Play 4 - Ivory short run middle

Jets in single high

Play was designed as a trap to the right, but Mauldin and Lee dominate their blockers on the play side (Lee in particular gains leverage and is held by the RT) and Ivory has to cut it up into the middle.

Play 5 – screen to Hurns

Odd defense.  Miliner follows Hurns across the formation, but is a good 12 yards off of him at the snap.

Lee reacts to the screen but takes a terrible angle – he targets Hurns like he thinks he’ll get there when the ball does, or that Hurns will just stand there waiting for him – and by the time he adjusts, it’s way, way too late.

Play 6 – Goal line stop

Play was going away from him anyway, but for once Jarvis Jenkins shows up – beats the LT and gets into the backfield.

Play side, Jordan Jenkins and Lawrence Thomas do really good jobs of controlling their man and not giving ground, while Simon is pushed into the endzone.  Seeing the Hole, Ivory cuts inside rather than following his blocker, and gets tripped up by Jordan Jenkins who reaches out while flat on his back to grab Ivory’s right shoe as he runs by

Play 7 – Ivory TD

Jarvis Jenkins gets ridden to the inside, creating a hole. Lee does a great job filling it, but whiffs on the tackle. TD.

Offense, post Touchback

Play 1 – Powell run for 2

Jets in 3 wide (Marshall, Decker, Marshall) plus Enunwa at H-Back.

Enunwa whiffs on the block (coming across the formation, his responsibility is the LDE) and his man stuffs Powell.  An executed block would have sprung a huge gain; Dozier washed his man out of the play to the inside and Clady was out to the second level blocking the MLB.

Play 2 – Enunwa catch

Jets in 4WR (Enunwa lined up in the inside slot in trips left, with Decker then Brandon to his left, and Marshall alone on the right)

Winters has real problems in pass protection – he gets very tall and straight in his set, which allows the defender to have leverage and explains why he constantly looks like he’s on roller skates.

Enunwa beats the LB like a drum (that matchup should be very good for us all year, if we can get it) and the pass is high, pulling him off his feet and turning what could have been a monster play (Enunwa had fields of green ahead) into “just” a big gain.

Play 3 – Enunwa catch

Same formation, except Powell splits wide of Jalin Marshall on the right.  Again, Enunwa has the LB, again, beats him like a drum, this time for a huge gain.  This time the pass hits him in stride, and he has the same ocean of green in front of him, letting him tack on another 20 yards of YAC.

Again, Winters gets bull rushed back almost into Fitz’ lap.

Play 4 – Powell TD

Jets loving their matchups, gp no huddle. Again, 4 wide, Powell as the lone back. But the quarter ends.

Back to start 2d Quarter.  Start with same formation, then motion Enunwa to HBack.

Winters dominates his man, drives him 7 yards off the ball and into the end zone.  Mangold & Ijalana do the rest of the work opening that hole wide, and Powell has a fairly easy 6

Jets D-line depth is actually very good if you consider the fact that they DO play a 3-4. 

Richardson, Wilk, Jenkins, McLendon, L.Williams. That's 5 guys that can start on most teams, with only 3 playing on most downs. 

Having said that, you are right. Simon is really the only 'true' NT and he doesn't seem to be very good (I agree- its PS for him).

I actually think Jets just end up carrying 5 D-linemen and compensating with LB depth. Maybe they pick a NT up once cuts are getting made, but that's an extra roster spot that may better be served for a 4th QB or O-line depth, IMO. 

Right now, its looking more and more like the CB, WR, QB, RB, TE, and D-line positions are set. LB, S, O-line are the 3 positions with some spots still up in the air. 

WR (6): B.Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, J.Marshall, Ross, Peake (Smith on IR, Marshall/Ross with return duties)

QB (4): Fitz, Geno, Petty, Hack

RB (4): Forte, Powell, Robinson, Bohannon

TE (3): Amaro, Sudfeld, Davis

CB (6): Revis, Skrine, Milliner, Williams, Burris, McDougle 

D-line (5): Wilk, Richardson, L.Williams, Jenkins, McLendon

Otherwise, I think there are some LB depth spots, O-line depth spots and S depth spots that are up for grabs and will determine how the 53 man roster plays out.   

Jets D-line depth is actually very good if you consider the fact that they DO play a 3-4. 

Richardson, Wilk, Jenkins, McLendon, L.Williams. That's 5 guys that can start on most teams, with only 3 playing on most downs. 

Having said that, you are right. Simon is really the only 'true' NT and he doesn't seem to be very good (I agree- its PS for him).

I actually think Jets just end up carrying 5 D-linemen and compensating with LB depth. Maybe they pick a NT up once cuts are getting made, but that's an extra roster spot that may better be served for a 4th QB or O-line depth, IMO. 

Right now, its looking more and more like the CB, WR, QB, RB, TE, and D-line positions are set. LB, S, O-line are the 3 positions with some spots still up in the air. 

WR (6): B.Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, J.Marshall, Ross, Peake (Smith on IR, Marshall/Ross with return duties)

QB (4): Fitz, Geno, Petty, Hack

RB (4): Forte, Powell, Robinson, Bohannon

TE (3): Amaro, Sudfeld, Davis

CB (6): Revis, Skrine, Milliner, Williams, Burris, McDougle 

D-line (5): Wilk, Richardson, L.Williams, Jenkins, McLendon

Otherwise, I think there are some LB depth spots, O-line depth spots and S depth spots that are up for grabs and will determine how the 53 man roster plays out.   

I hear you, but I've been less than impressed with Jenkins, too.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Archived