Is Darrelle Revis still dominant?

JetNation

5 hours ago, David Harris said:

DeAndre Hopkins changed the entire  football world's perspective of Darelle Revis's standing.  He went over the hill that day. 

I went back and re-watched every pass Hopkins caught.   Revis had excellent coverage on almost all of them.   Hopkins simply made some plays.  

The NFL will probablynever see a cornerback as dominant as he was in 2009. He was Michael Jordan perfect. But I'm still rolling with this guy. He is a top-five cornerback in 2016 IMO,

5 hours ago, David Harris said:

DeAndre Hopkins changed the entire  football world's perspective of Darelle Revis's standing.  He went over the hill that day. 

I went back and re-watched every pass Hopkins caught.   Revis had excellent coverage on almost all of them.   Hopkins simply made some plays.  

The NFL will probablynever see a cornerback as dominant as he was in 2009. He was Michael Jordan perfect. But I'm still rolling with this guy. He is a top-five cornerback in 2016 IMO,

Everyone gets burned.  Just because Revis wasn't perfect like he was in 2009-2010 doesn't mean he's not still top 3 at his position.  I saw OBJ burn Richard Sherman two years ago

Rex had a lot to do with Revis being so good in those years.  His blitz schemes ensured Revis only needed to cover his man for 3-4 seconds

Revis had such an incredible year in 09 because he only had to cover in very small windows due to the pressure Ryans defense created. He was never challenged much deep because QB's simply didn't have the time to wait on deep routes. When it comes to how CB's cover especially Revis, time = distance and the Jets were getting to the QB's in 2-3 seconds causing teams to adjust and get rid of the ball quickly playing right into Revis hands and Rex's design.

As our LB's became slower over the years and we started to put less pressure Revis became human and he was beat from time to time because he had to cover the WR's for a longer period of time. It hurt him in Tampa as well as New England because he was in different defenses. Now that He is with the Jets again and in a high pressure defense he played better last year than he played with the Buc's and with NE because Bowles runs a high pressure scheme. With our LB's gaining speed through the draft and FA Revis stands to benefit from that and cover in that small window where he's so Dominant yet again.

When we failed to pressure Tyrod Taylor in the Bills game and Tyrod was also extending plays with his legs it made it very difficult for a injured Revis or a slower Revis to cover over long periods and it showed. If you compare that to 09 Revis was making most of his plays on quick slants and giving up at the most short completions it was not all about him he had some help trust me on that. Now if you take 09 and take away the pressure Ryan was creating with his schemes pressure would be less and Revis would have given up some plays no way around that. All that being said the only thing that will bring back the old Revis is pressure on the QB and the only thing that will keep Revis at elite status is the spped and quickness he was known for and that we will find out during the season.

Either way, in a high pressure scheme and Revis covering in small windows, yes I do think he can be just as elite as he was in the past because most of your quickness comes from making quick decisions in a small area and Revis is probably the best ever at that.

Basic answer is he's still a top Cb, but clearly not at the same level as he was as recently as 12.  The real question is whether he will be up to the role of playing the opponent's top wideout with, usually, no help.  I don't know the answer, but doubt that what we saw against Watkins in the last game is any true indicator. Still, he's not likely to be dominant even if the performance against Watkins was something less than dispositive.

The answer looks like it will be a key to how good the Jets D will be, since right now the cb rotation is the most worrisome thing about this team, I think.  It may not mean much, but the Jets are looking at other cb's:

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/jets-inquire-on-cb-keenan-lewis/197205810

The triple combo of Skrine not being comfortable outside, Milliner still getting hurt and M Williams just looking bad may, if not resolved, mean a couple of things.  It may mean Revis may not get challenged merely because going after the other side is more tempting.  Or it may mean if safety help has to consistently go to the other side, he may well get attacked more than he is used to. 

The good news is he's still a solid #1 cb.  I'm not sure that will be enough to make up for the problems with the rest of the cb rotation.

Archived