Guity of kool-aid...But this team is still rebuilding

CanadaSteve

46 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That doesn't make it a smart move for the team. It was a CYA move for the GM. I've said so many times so whatever with your "naive" comment. But the team suffers, and the amount paid influences not just him starting but for how long he starts before getting the hook. Even more so in light of a HC who doesn't take his favorites off the field unless forced to do so. 

Which is the problem. The fanbase being dumb affects the franchise

2 hours ago, j4jets said:

BS. We've used up our entire cap over the past 4 years AND borrowed future cap dollar by renegotiating several deals, plus the 2 yr deal for Fitz. I haven't done the math, but common sense tells me, unless we had $60mil in cap space, we met the cap floor by a massive margin. Having said that, since we have about 2mil in cap space, I wouldn't be shocked if our cash spending is at around 102-103%. Mind blown right?

No we have not....just read the cap site. 

War, not sure how you can not call this team a rebuild team.  WE ALL talked about it at the start of last year how this team was needing to be rebuilt.  We were all fooled by Fitzmagic.  No harm in admitting it.  But this team just is not good enough yet.

28 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

No we have not....just read the cap site. 

Read it. Not sure what you are reading. 2015 cap was 151mil for Jets. We spent $154mil. In 2016, our cap was $164mil while cash spending was $167mil, which is in-line with my rough estimate of us spending 102% of the cap.

To top it off, we have the highest cash spend assigned for 2017 as of right now. Of course players get released and signed, but for now, thats where we stand. Cash spending will NEVER be an issue. Its basic math. We have a minimum cap floor to reach and thats much higher than minimum cash floor. You would really have to mess up the cap to miss the cash spend limit.

29 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

War, not sure how you can not call this team a rebuild team.  WE ALL talked about it at the start of last year how this team was needing to be rebuilt.  We were all fooled by Fitzmagic.  No harm in admitting it.  But this team just is not good enough yet.

Well its not last year and its not a rebuild year. You have an int machine throwing in a rebuild year. 

3 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Well its not last year and its not a rebuild year. You have an int machine throwing in a rebuild year. 

You want to get a high draft pick, dont you?

Here's what's going to happen. Maccagnan is going to be run out of town. Woody, thinking football people dont work, will hire another bean counter, and off we go again.

Speculation, but logical speculation

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

You want to get a high draft pick, dont you?

True, if we are rebuilding next year. 

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Here's what's going to happen. Maccagnan is going to be run out of town. Woody, thinking football people dont work, will hire another bean counter, and off we go again.

Speculation, but logical speculation

Macc doesn't get run out next year. Bowles won't either unless we end up going like 4-12. This team is very talented to go 4-12 even with Bowles running the show. Hell, Rex even can pull 7-8 wins from this squad. 

7 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

I am guilty too.  I was hoping this season would have been different.

But the worse thing about 2015 was not missing the playoffs by a game, it was believing this team was MUCH farther along in their rebuild.  We were totally lucky having the schedule we did and believing Fitz' revival was anything but a fluke. 

All you have to do is look at this team's roster and its history this decade to know its true. Since 2010, and not including 2015 and 2016, this team has had 37 drafts picks.  7 of those 37 picks were #1's. Of those 7 #1's, only 3 are on the team, and two of them are on the defensive line.  The other is pretending to play safety for us currently.  Now here is the stat we collectively need to embrace.  Of the 37 picks the Jets have drafted between 2010-2014, there are 9 left on the team.  NINE.  Let that number sink in.  That is a 24 percent draft rate. 

The team we are always comparing to, the Patriots, and we always talk about BB's terrible draft history and how he collects draft picks only to throw them away, have 13 of their 41.  31 percent.  Of their 5 first round picks, 3 are with the team, 1 was just traded this year, and the other is with the Rams after a messy divorce and playing well. 

This team was so bereft of talent it is no wonder we have not been to the playoffs since 2010?  We have continually drafted poorly since then, and our playoff appearances have shown.  In the NFL, if you cannot draft, you cannot win....period.

This teams was always 4 years of solid drafting away.  So far, it looks pretty good, although we need another year to see about the 2015 draft.  The key, as always, will be in finding a QB in all those drafts.

So everyone should come back off the fire the entire FO ledge, and let this play out at least another year before we start gathering the pitch forks.  If it is true that Woody listens to the fans because he wants to make money, all it will do is keep this franchise sitting on the tread mill.

I don;t think of a team as rebuilding unless they are playing a young QB

Archived