Timing Matters

DMan77

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

Sorry but I don't understand the bold which I think this is the heart of your post.  Now...the Jets have been in place in theory occasionally and infrequently in the past.  That is true.  However, it has never lasted long and it certainly isn't true at the moment.  It's not like we are there except we have to wait for our turn at a QB.  Geesh.  Can you say....magical thinking?   

Sorry if that was unclear.

It's not about the build of the team. My post is a look at how some teams have had their guy and let it slip away, either due to bad teams or bad timing. Others have found success.. And my post is saying that in theory, the Jets haven't had that opportunity one way or another in a long time. So in theory their turn is still coming. 

It's about the era in which they become good. And I think in the next 10 years we'll be able to make an argument that it's better to start becoming good NOW (in theory) then it would have 20 years ago. 

There have been SO many good QBs and teams in these last 15 years, that even having an all-pro QB doesn't always equal success. 

The Jets haven't had their chance at a stud QB yet. And maybe we would have been happier having one over the last decade, but maybe not... Maybe not with the amount of records being broken by QBs... Maybe the Jets can get their guy and work within an era that doesn't have several of the greatest QBs of all time playing across the field from them.

It's just a thought. I just sometimes look at teams that have had a stud QB and gotten nowhere and think that might be a little worse than not having one at all yet. Because your chance is still coming. You still have a chance to find that guy and make it work...

2 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Sorry if that was unclear.

It's not about the build of the team. My post is a look at how some teams have had their guy and let it slip away, either due to bad teams or bad timing. Others have found success.. And my post is saying that in theory, the Jets haven't had that opportunity one way or another in a long time. So in theory their turn is still coming. 

It's about the era in which they become good. And I think in the next 10 years we'll be able to make an argument that it's better to start becoming good NOW (in theory) then it would have 20 years ago. 

There have been SO many good QBs and teams in these last 15 years, that even having an all-pro QB doesn't always equal success. 

The Jets haven't had their chance at a stud QB yet. And maybe we would have been happier having one over the last decade, but maybe not... Maybe not with the amount of records being broken by QBs... Maybe the Jets can get their guy and work within an era that doesn't have several of the greatest QBs of all time playing across the field from them.

It's just a thought. I just sometimes look at teams that have had a stud QB and gotten nowhere and think that might be a little worse than not having one at all yet. Because your chance is still coming. You still have a chance to find that guy and make it work...

Let me put it another way... They say "it's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all".

And I'm saying... "Ehhh maybe not".

Maybe in the end it'll have been better to have not had our great QB these last 15 years. Maybe this era of football will go down as one of the best ever for QBs.

Maybe when our chance does come, the makeup of the NFL allows us to have more success than we would have had we gotten a guy 10 years ago.

Look, I know it's stilly. I can actually hear people rolling their eyes... But it's not based in my imagination. There have been some good-to-great QBs who would have found unreal success if they had played in an era different than this one. So maybe it works out in the next few years for us. Maybe we find our guy and we help usher in a new NFL era, and have the top guy to go into it with, because it's our turn. 

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

1. Using the "r" word in the first paragraph pretty much confirms everything I've ever thought of you. How despicable and cowardly. There are better ways to describe what you're trying to accomplish but you take low hanging fruit. How about you grow up?

2. Negotiations are more than just trades. But I'm so appalled by your post that I'm not going to waste anymore time on you. 

Yeah, use of the "r"'word.  How despicable.  As of the word can't be used as I used it.  Put your big boy pants on Carl, you souled like a fool.  I need to grow up?  Lol

Move on already.  You're a little baby  

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, use of the "r"'word.  How despicable.  As of the word can't be used as I used it.  Put your big boy pants on Carl, you souled like a fool.  I need to grow up?  Lol

Move on already.  You're a little baby  

Yes. It's deplorable. Comparing a felony offense to a trade is of below average intelligence and unbecoming of what this board should be. Thanks for the personal attacks. Makes my point for me. 

40 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yes. It's deplorable. Comparing a felony offense to a trade is of below average intelligence and unbecoming of what this board should be. Thanks for the personal attacks. Makes my point for me. 

An idiot makes this argument.  Whatever works for you.  

15 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You should just go back to the thread where Sperm was eviscerating you as a public spectacle. It was glorious. 

You want to jump in on his failed attempt claiming that Hack was never redshirted go for it.  Sperm sounds almost as clueless as you in that one.  You think I'm wrong?  Hack wasn't redshirted?  Someone telling me I'm wrong in that post is eviscerating me?  You should stick to arguing with people that you weren't campaigning for Fitz or whatever it is that you're claiming this week with Fitz.  

Why are you carrying on?  Thought you were offended whatever. Why not just SU and move on if you are.  

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You want to jump in on his failed attempt claiming that Hack was never redshirted go for it.  Sperm sounds almost as clueless as you in that one.  You think I'm wrong?  Hack wasn't redshirted?  Someone telling me I'm wrong in that post is eviscerating me?  You should stick to arguing with people that you weren't campaigning for Fitz or whatever it is that you're claiming this week with Fitz.  

Why are you carrying on?  Thought you were offended whatever. Why not just SU and move on if you are.  

You think I'm going to stop posting because you're an offensive, crass, clown whose idea of comparing football to violations of people thinks I should? Never. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You think I'm going to stop posting because you're an offensive, crass, clown whose idea of comparing football to violations of people thinks I should? Never. 

I think you should put me on ignore or stop.  Only you would find what I said offensive 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

I think you should put me on ignore or stop.  Only you would find what I said offensive 

I'm not stopping and I'm not going to put you on ignore because I plan on calling you out as often as needed. And I'm sure plenty of other people found your comparison offensive, but they probably already have you on ignore. 

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

The Jets need to keep drafting QB's until they find their franchise QB.  If there are no studs available in the years they have a top pick, they should do whatever it takes to trade up for one in the year's that a top one is available

Exactly.  No team can control who comes out on the draft any given year.  Just as there are very few givens at QB in a draft over the years at QB that actually pan out. Winston, Luck and Peyton over how many years?  Yet there are more than 3 franchise QBs playing in the NFL.  Doesn't mean they're not out there.

Archived