" Eric Decker could join the exodus of Jets veterans " ~ ~ ~

kelly

@long suffering jets fan

If you want to be really nit-picky correct, you could subtract $465,000 from the $7.25m savings (my prior post), since the #52 cap hit amount (surely be the league minimum $465K), that wouldn't have counted against the cap, would now move up to the #51 slot and it'd be counted (only the top 51 count, as you've likely heard).

So technically, in the case of the 2017 Jets, cutting Decker would save $6.79m total. Few tend to look at it like that, though, because it's often assumed a player is cut so the team could immediately use that space to sign someone else, of equal or greater cost, in the same season.

If you're having trouble sleeping, ask me more about it.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

@long suffering jets fan

If you want to be really nit-picky correct, you could subtract $465,000 from the $7.25m savings (my prior post), since the #52 cap hit amount (surely be the league minimum $465K), that wouldn't have counted against the cap, would now move up to the #51 slot and it'd be counted (only the top 51 count, as you've likely heard).

So technically, in the case of the 2017 Jets, cutting Decker would save $6.79m total. Few tend to look at it like that, though, because it's often assumed a player is cut so the team could immediately use that space to sign someone else, of equal or greater cost, in the same season.

If you're having trouble sleeping, ask me more about it.

Should have known better than to argue with a Penis ;-)

Nice job!  Bottom line it's a crapload of money!!!

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Decker has a $7.25m salary. If the Jets don't pay it then it saves $7.25m. The only money that comes off the cap is money paid by the team to the player.

Here's what you're missing: the dead money ($3m remaining) is dead whether they keep him or cut him. It's a sunk cost; it's already gone. They already paid him that $3m and it all still needs to come off the cap. Rules are rules.

See, the "extra" $1.5m amortized signing bonus amount doesn't only appear if he's cut (as though it was punitive). If another $1.5m accelerates to 2017 by cutting him pre-June 1,  it will then therefore not count in 2018. It only comes off once, but it has to come off if they paid him the money. So it's either $1.5m this year and $1.5m next year ($3m total), or $3m all this year and $0 next year (still $3m total). It's the same amount.

Look at it this way to make the math easier for you, if you don't believe me: go back to that same team chart and see what happens if he's cut after June 1st this year. What you'll see is this year's amortized cap hit stays the same at $1.5m, and the balance (in his case, just another $1.5m) accelerates to the next year in 2018, even though the Jets haven't paid him a dime since the 2016 season ended. It's still $3m total.

This leads back to the original point: cutting Eric Decker saves $7.25m.

It does save the Jets $7.25M, but that's outside of the cap, correct?  From a cap perspective the numbers are different.  So I think we're both right :)

21 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

It does save the Jets $7.25M, but that's outside of the cap, correct?  From a cap perspective the numbers are different.  So I think we're both right :)

Cap numbers are $8.75M with Decker remaining a Jet for 2017 or $3M (dead) if not, assuming no June 1 designation, which would push some of it into 2018..

59 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

No, that's not correct. It's $7.25m that is saved because it's $7.25m that wouldn't be paid to him. 

From a cap perspective, you're worrying unnecessarily about whether that last $1.5m of amortized signing bonus counts in 2018 or 2017. What I'm explaining is it makes no difference as far as the Jets' ability to spend on others this year or next year. The sunk cost is the same amount of money no matter how you slice it up: it's $3m.

If they cut him early, and that $1.5m hits 2017 instead of 2018, and if they were right up against this year's cap limit and really needed that extra $1.5m for another player now, they'd just restructure someone else for that amount, which would have no net effect when the dust settled. Sure, Decker would have $1.5m more counting in '17 than '18, but to counter that they'd arrange it so someone else count $1.5m more in '18 than '17. It makes no difference.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, that's not correct. It's $7.25m that is saved because it's $7.25m that wouldn't be paid to him. 

From a cap perspective, you're worrying unnecessarily about whether that last $1.5m of amortized signing bonus counts in 2018 or 2017. What I'm explaining is it makes no difference as far as the Jets' ability to spend on others this year or next year. The sunk cost is the same amount of money no matter how you slice it up: it's $3m.

If they cut him early, and that $1.5m hits 2017 instead of 2018, and if they were right up against this year's cap limit and really needed that extra $1.5m for another player now, they'd just restructure someone else for that amount, which would have no net effect when the dust settled. Sure, Decker would have $1.5m more counting in '17 than '18, but to counter that they'd arrange it so someone else count $1.5m more in '18 than '17. It makes no difference.

No argument there. I was just saying that $7.25 is not the cap savings. 

2 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

No argument there. I was just saying that $7.25 is not the cap savings. 

Yes it is $7.25m in cap savings, unless you're nitpicking about the 52nd man becoming the 51st man if/after Decker was cut.

Again, if they spend $7.25m less, then $7.25m less hits the salary cap. 

• 2 weeks later...

After a two-week hiatus, our New York Jets mailbag is back, focusing on the suddenly crowded receiving corps and the future of Eric Decker.

7rndnXmZ_normal.jpg

#jetsmail crowded WR room. Decker old and injured. Time to remove the bottleneck and move on? Opportunity cost of keeping decker is great

@RichCimini: Bill Parcells used to have a name for the kind of player you just described, Brian. He called him a progress-stopper, a past-his-prime veteran whose presence on the roster robs young, ascending players of playing time.

I don't think Decker is a progress-stopper. Yes, he just turned 30 and he's coming off hip and shoulder surgeries, which can't be taken lightly, but it sounds as though he'll be ready for training camp. Decker said he's back to running routes at full speed in the offseason program, which steps up May 23 when the Jets begin organized team activities.Now he has to prove to the Jets he can be as good as the 2015 Decker. They apparently have some doubts because they drafted not one, but two wide receivers, ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen. The Jets believe they will compete for playing time, particularly Stewart, whom one opposing scout projected as an immediate starter for New York. This is a full-blown youth movement, so no older veteran should feel safe.

The upcoming OTAs could be an audition for Decker, if he's cleared to participate. If he can chip off the rust, he'll be effective in John Morton's offense because he's an excellent route-runner -- an absolute must in a West Coast scheme, which is predicated on timing. He's a crafty veteran who can be the go-to receiver for Josh McCown, who will love Decker's reliability. You need a seasoned vet in the room; it can't be all first- and second-year players.I can see Decker, Quincy Enunwa and Stewart as the top three receivers, with Robby Anderson playing in four-wide packages. Stewart is a more polished route-runner than Anderson, and the coaches like that he's a physical blocker. Hansen will need time to develop because he played in an "Air Raid" offense at Cal, nothing like a pro-style attack.

The Jets' receivers played a total of 3,072 offensive snaps last season, according to ESPN Stats & Information, and that includes 864 from the departed Brandon Marshall. I suspect the 2017 total will dip under 3,000 because Morton probably won't use as many four-wide packages as Chan Gailey, whose offense led the league in four-wide usage. Still, there should be enough work for everyone.If the Jets determine at some point that Decker is holding back one (or more) of the kid receivers, they can shop him before the mid-season trading deadline. In my opinion, it would be foolish to cut Decker before knowing exactly what you have in Stewart and Hansen. Bottom line: The "old" man, as you call him, still has value, assuming he returns to what he was.

Put it this way : It's third-and-5 in the fourth quarter, you're down by four points, driving for the go-ahead touchdown. Me? I'd like my chances better if Decker were on the field.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68760/how-eric-decker-fits-into-jets-receiving-corps-or-does-he

• 2 weeks later...

-- Teams in the New York Jets' position -- rebuilding -- have to ask themselves this basic question when making personnel decisions:

Is Player A part of the problem or the solution ?

If it's not the latter, send him on his way and give his job to a younger player. The Jets cast Nick Mangold, Brandon Marshall and Darrelle Revis in that category, and now they're ex-Jets.

It would be a mistake to add Eric Decker to that list.Because he's 30 years old, makes a lot of money and is recovering from two surgeries, Decker's future has become a source of speculation. The rumblings got louder when the Jets drafted wide receivers ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen in the third and fourth rounds, respectively.

But here's the deal: When healthy, Decker is still one of the 10 best players on the team, and he certainly appeared that way Tuesday for the start of OTA practices.

Wearing the red/noncontact jersey, which seems redundant because all offseason practices are supposed to be noncontact, Decker stood out in offensive drills. He made a handful of receptions, including a diving grab over the middle. While he's not 100 percent (hence the red jersey), he's on track for the start of training camp -- hardly a given after he underwent shoulder and hip surgeries last fall.Coach Todd Bowles acknowledged Decker's positive start, but added, "No one is touching him right now. He looks healthy running around out there, so we’ll see as it goes."Offensive coordinator John Morton was asked his early impressions of Decker, and all he said was, "I thought he moved around good."

Hardly effusive.

Decker is the most accomplished receiver on the team, and the race for second is not even close. His best attribute is his route-running, and route-running is vital in Morton's West Coast-based system. He's an ideal fit in the offense.On Tuesday (a practice that was open to the media), Decker lined up in the slot in three-wide packages, with Quincy Enunwa and Robby Anderson on the outside -- a starting trio with complementary skill sets. There's a dropoff to the next tier, which includes Charone Peake, Stewart (injured) and Hansen. The Jets are high on the rookies, particularly Stewart, but they've got a ways to go.The Jets would save $7.25 million of Decker's $8.75 million salary-cap charge by releasing him with a post-June 1 designation, but what's the point? They have $7.9 million in cap room, which ranks 24th, according to overthecap.com. When they sign first-round pick Jamal Adams, they'll still have more than $4 million in room, some rainy-day money.

They could invest the Decker savings in inexpensive free agents, maybe backups at linebacker and safety, but that wouldn't be a wise distributions of assets. They have a solid, consistent professional in Decker. They should be looking to add guys like that, not toss them away.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68936/encouraging-steps-for-eric-decker-who-belongs-on-jets-roster-if-healthy

Archived