Something to ponder before we start drinking again

section314

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I am basing wiggle room on a body of work. Easier to do and more understandable based on a (relative) short time frame. Bigger picture ideal.

My critique of yours is on a specific statement (paraphrasing), of others moved down, why didn't Macc. You either need to know what he had, or what he didn't. Not much wiggle room there

I said, based on his lack of "big deal" trades thus far, I thought it possible but unlikely we're about to suddenly see one today (e.g. move Sheldon, move Pryor, etc.). Your reply was that this is a cop-out answer, of sorts, because I dared leave wiggle room instead of speaking in absolutes.

4 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Popular or not without hindsight bringing fitz back was the correct move. You have a Qb that throws for what 32 touchdowns and let him walk? Wilk i agree probably got overpaid especially considering he was coming back from an injury hopefully he bounces back this season but i for one am certainly not ready to run macc out of town yet, maybe i am in the minority?

Well after seeing Fitz flop with his next team, he'd have been vindicated, no? Anyone else could have picked up this 32-touchdown QB, since (as a UFA) he was no more a Jet than he was a Brown, Bronco, 49er, etc.

Just now, bealeb319 said:

Wasn't the rumor that the Broncos had some interest?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

It wasn't much. Particularly when they saw the deal he'd already turned down from the Jets.

They were limited by the cap, so (just like with Kaepernick) they weren't going to go any higher than $7m. Seeing the Jets' offer on the table guaranteeing $15m minimum made haste of any interest they may have had. And this was an obvious, true superbowl contender (as the defending champs).

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I said, based on his lack of "big deal" trades thus far, I thought it possible but unlikely we're about to suddenly see one today (e.g. move Sheldon, move Pryor, etc.). Your reply was that this is a cop-out answer, of sorts, because I dared leave wiggle room instead of speaking in absolutes.

No one is attacking you here. It is ok. :)

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

OK, it just seems that way.

I will re-pose. Your stance seemed to want Macc to make a "big deal" What opportunities are you aware of that he had opportunity to act upon? 

You know...like swapping Calvin Pryor and a 5th rounder for Aaron Rodgers.  That kind of opportunity that he just never seems to pull the trigger on.

Honestly, one of the best draft-day trades I recall was Mangini swapping three mediocre defensive players to CLE to move up from 12 to 5 (I think...might be off on the 12) and get Sanchez.  However that worked out, it was a great trade and if Sanchez had panned out, would have been an all-time great one.

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

OK, it just seems that way.

I will re-pose. Your stance seemed to want Macc to make a "big deal" What opportunities are you aware of that he had opportunity to act upon? 

Wrong again. I never said I wanted him to when someone asked me. I said I thought it unlikely for it to happen. 

It's kind of cute, these repeated attempts to put words into my mouth, and then comment on those things I never said.

I look forward to more.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The thing is if we moved down in the first we'd have taken one of 20-something other safeties teams drafted in the first 2 days. A downgrade in prospect rank, of course, but not a downgrade that isn't adequately counterbalanced by the sizable compensation a team gets when trading down from that high in the first place.

Moving down in round 3 is nothing at all like moving down from the top of round 1. 

OK, I'll pretend I never read this.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The thing is if we moved down in the first we'd have taken one of 20-something other safeties teams drafted in the first 2 days. 

This sentence sure seems to make the writer indicate that the GM of the Jets could have "moved down" and "taken one of 20 other something safeties".

You are right must be me. Or, the English language has changed.

14 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

This sentence sure seems to make the writer indicate that the GM of the Jets could have "moved down" and "taken one of 20 other something safeties".

You are right must be me. Or, the English language has changed.

No, you are just conflating two conversations. One was from earlier, then one was from later.

Still, it clearly bothers you tremendously, as it's the only thing you're posting about. I had no idea trying to get one over on me was that important to you.

If I was nicer, I'd let you have it. :) 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, you are just conflating two conversations. One was from earlier, then one was from later.

Still, it clearly bothers you tremendously, as it's the only thing you're posting about. I had no idea trying to get one over on me was that important to you.

Easy there Commander. It is discussion. No "trying to get over". No conflation on my part. Just discussion and opinion. No one HAS to be right. 

Archived