Thank you Chris Johnson

j4jets

On 1/6/2018 at 1:30 AM, bla bla bla said:

You must be joking? Please tell me you are trying to say that you'd rather the 2014 roster and offseason over where we currently stand. I say 2014 because that is the roster that Macc and Bowles were handed. You do realize the reason we signed older FAs that year is because we still had Harris, Mangold, Brick, and Pace under contract who all wanted to still win a Super Bowl. It would seem it makes sense to bring in players around their age so they can be motivated together and then when the time came, could be cut together to make way for a younger roster that Macc would have had the time to assemble.

Our secondary is leaps and bounds above that year. Our LBs are all much younger now, I'd take Jenkins now over Pace then, I'd take Demario now over Harris then, I do think Demario then was better than Lee now but I'd still take this unit because they are much younger and could still develop. Our DL consisted of Mo and Sheldon, if reports are true there could be a reunion and I'd consider Leo and Sheldon better than Mo and Sheldon. Harrison was great so we can call DL weaker, no issues there. Our OL is weaker but I don't think drastically so, Mangold vs Johnson is really the huge issue. I consider Carpenter and Colon comparable, Brick was a shell of his former self so I don't think Beachum is necessarily worse, I would take Shell over Giacomini, and Aboushi is part of the worst OL in the NFL. I would absolutely take ASJ over Amaro. For WR Decker and Harvin were both constantly injured although Decker was clearly a very good receiver. I would take Robby over Harvin outside of those two I think the WR scale leans towards 2017. For RB Ivory was a work horse and Powell complimented him well, I'd take that stable over ours now even though Ivory tipped our hand on offense since he couldn't catch a football. You are down to Geno vs McCown take your pick but I do like how the offense functioned with McCown as opposed to Geno.

I think this FA is far more loaded than 2015's was and I think there are far more that 2 QBs in the top 10 that we could take or trade up for. IMO we are in a much better state as a franchise heading into this offseason than we were heading into our first offseason under Macc and Bowles.

This whole post reeks of effort. Our LBs are all much younger now. Our OL is weaker but I don’t think drastically so. The WR scale leans toward 2017. It’s amazing how far you guys will go to deny the plain and simple fact that literally every major need these two boobs inherited is still a major need now. But yes, tell me more about how a ton of cap space and a second straight sixth overall pick are a fine haul for three years of work.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there's one thing this GM and Coach have done, it was to change "the culture" of the team; at least according to Chris Johnson...

But didn't they lose it in the first place too?  Who brought back Revis, who signed Marshall, who gave Mo Wilk a contract extension?  Which coaching staff lost the locker room last year?

Does anybody want a defensive coordinator turned head coach in this league anymore?  The rules are slanted towards offense currently and the entire strategy of the sport is about finding/developing a quarterback, putting enough weapons around him to take some pressure off and doing just enough on defense to occasionally confuse the opposing quarterback.  That's it.  That's football today.  The Jaguars defense is great, but they're not winning a championship this year and we all know it.  Good luck keeping that defense together long enough, while keeping Fournette healthy long enough, until they find themselves someone who can throw the ball for first downs consistently.  

In a league where we know that offense is king (and that the most important positions are QB on tier 1 of importance; pass rusher, CB, offensive tackle and pass catcher [an elite TE or WR depending on the player] are tier 2, and every other position can be filled with late round picks), the Jets under Mac have spent three years of first rounders on a 5 technique, an inside linebacker and a strong safety respectively.  We should be taking offensive players high in the draft (specifically quarterbacks, offensive tackles and elite pass catchers) unless there's a great cornerback or edge rusher at our pick.  I can't even hang my hat on "well, we bolstered the interior of the offensive line" or "we took an elite playmaker at RB", as in: we're not even making justifiable deviations from the necessary grand strategy, or justifiable mistakes as a dogmatic adherent might argue.  We're simply sh*tting the bed and wallowing in it.  

Yea, if you cut most of the veterans, sign a gutsy journeyman QB holding on to the dream and play a bunch of padawans, the team is going to win the "try-hard" medal.  Everyone on the team is dying to get paid; save Mo Wilkerson because he already got paid and cynically saw there was nothing to win this year (and we should cut his lazy ass for doing that two years in a row).  

The "culture change" to me is an illusion.  Being content with 5-11 is not the culture I'm looking to build.  Commending a team that was supposed to finish 2-14 for finishing 5-11 is ridiculous; it's like patting your child on the back for getting a D instead of an F.  Did the team have fight in them this year?  Yes they did.  But that, to me at least, is more of a function of the nature of the monetary incentive on the roster we built; like I said before: kids looking to earn their first big payout and guys like Claiborne or ASJ or McCown dying to stay "in the show" (and doing a mediocre job at that; none of them resurrected their careers in some great and admirable way, they simply were solid).  Make no mistake, this roster isn't built with a team full of battle-hardened NFL veterans with an esprit de corps built from years of mutual accountability, continued success and consistently productive leadership.  We're not the Saints with Drew Brees and Sean Payton at the helm who just needed an infusion of youth for a shot.  We're not the Packers who needed a new GM but the coach and QB set the tone and the team follows.  We're not the Ravens that just need some offensive playmakers. 

We don't have a quarterback, we have no true pass rusher, we have no serious offensive tackles, we have no serious cornerbacks.  We've got a less than average head coach and a GM that hits only on superfluous defensive players in the first and fails spectacularly on quarterback decision making. 

I do like Morton though; he could become a good offensive coordinator (maybe even a future Head Coach one day, because we all know nobody with any discernable pedigree would take this team over anytime in the near future).  I do like Robby Anderson; he's developed nicely.  I do like Leonard Williams; he's a beast.  

My advice to ownership (other than selling the team as soon as possible) would be to keep those three aforementioned pieces in place and follow Ripley's advice:

Archived