Now it all makes sense

section314

As a young boy, my dad started taking me to Met games when I was about 8, around 1967. We would always get there early, 2 hours or so before game time, so we could watch batting practice and infield/outfield practice. We did this for years, and it was something I continued when I started to take my 3 boys to games. However, this pregame ritual stopped in the late 1990's., and I never really understood why. Now. it's quite obvious. The players, literally, are facing batting practice pitchers in the real games. 13 home runs in a game the other night, and most recently yesterday, at the Stadium. In game one, Wheeler threw BP to the Yankees, and they kindly returned the favor to the Mets in game two, when Paxton threw a nice session of BP. Sometimes, the answer is right under your nose.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

As a young boy, my dad started taking me to Met games when I was about 8, around 1967. We would always get there early, 2 hours or so before game time, so we could watch batting practice and infield/outfield practice. We did this for years, and it was something I continued when I started to take my 3 boys to games. However, this pregame ritual stopped in the late 1990's., and I never really understood why. Now. it's quite obvious. The players, literally, are facing batting practice pitchers in the real games. 13 home runs in a game the other night, and most recently yesterday, at the Stadium. In game one, Wheeler threw BP to the Yankees, and they kindly returned the favor to the Mets in game two, when Paxton threw a nice session of BP. Sometimes, the answer is right under your nose.

Not to mention the balls are juiced and all the players swing for the fences. 

• Upvote 1

The game is really becoming a farce.

NCAA did the right thing a number of years ago, when they changed the specification of the bats that players were allowed to use, because home runs were flying at a prodigious rate.  The result has been a great awakening of the college game of baseball.

Lat week I saw Todd Frazier hit a ball that he was off balance on, finished his swing with one hand and looked like a shallow fly ball to the outfield. It just carried, and carried and carried to 10 rows deep over the fence.

The number of opposite field home runs that are just fairly struck is mind numbing.

They have to do something.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

The game is really becoming a farce.

NCAA did the right thing a number of years ago, when they changed the specification of the bats that players were allowed to use, because home runs were flying at a prodigious rate.  The result has been a great awakening of the college game of baseball.

Lat week I saw Todd Frazier hit a ball that he was off balance on, finished his swing with one hand and looked like a shallow fly ball to the outfield. It just carried, and carried and carried to 10 rows deep over the fence.

The number of opposite field home runs that are just fairly struck is mind numbing.

They have to do something.

This is MLB's answer to the NFL basically eliminating defense over the last 10 years. MLB is eliminating pitching.? 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, section314 said:

This is MLB's answer to the NFL basically eliminating defense over the last 10 years. MLB is eliminating pitching.? 

And the problem with this is MLB says they want the games to move faster but the fastest game is a game where the pitchers get outs but the MLB wants more offense and they really can’t have both. Baseball is in big trouble unfortunately. 

• Upvote 1