Long Gone Summer (McGwire and Sosa 30 for 30)

Did anybody else watch this? I’d like to know what other people thought of it. I thought it was ok, it didn’t really show anything that most people didn’t know and was definitely McGwire centric with Sosa as kind of a supporting role. 

My biggest problem with the documentary is definitely the fact that they basically ignore steroids until the last 10 minutes. Everyone knows it was a huge part of that era and that home run race and they kind of downplayed it when it was talked about. 

I watched it.  I thought it was a boirng misrepresntation of what that summer has become in hindsight.  It was a waste of two hours.  A lot of footage of both guys hitting home runs, but so little discussion of the issue of steroids.  These two guys become the face of the steroid era in 1998 -- that is the story. 

Yet ESPN glossed over it for the first 100 minutes and briefly touched on it at the end.  Most compelling part of the show was the very brief clip of Sosa being asked about steroids today; nervous laughter and a non-sensical response about how everyone used, why single him out.  But then no follow up from the interviewer.  

I usually like the 30 for 30s.  I like the one they did on Lance Armstrong last month.  I thought that was compelling and showed a lot of different sides of Armstrong.  Very disappointed in this one.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lith said:

I watched it.  I thought it was a boirng misrepresntation of what that summer has become in hindsight.  It was a waste of two hours.  A lot of footage of both guys hitting home runs, but so little discussion of the issue of steroids.  These two guys become the face of the steroid era in 1998 -- that is the story. 

Yet ESPN glossed over it for the first 100 minutes and briefly touched on it at the end.  Most compelling part of the show was the very brief clip of Sosa being asked about steroids today; nervous laughter and a non-sensical response about how everyone used, why single him out.  But then no follow up from the interviewer.  

I usually like the 30 for 30s.  I like the one they did on Lance Armstrong last month.  I thought that was compelling and showed a lot of different sides of Armstrong.  Very disappointed in this one.

It bugs me that Sosa has never admitted it. We all know it man, just come out and say it. Another thing about Sammy is I heard Turk Wendell on WFAN with Evan Roberts and he said that Sosa was a terrible teammate and only cared about hitting bombs. Not surprised.