2017 Study: Impact of Achilles injury on NFL career

Lith

14 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

I'm going to guess that they didn't control for the skill level of the players or the age of the players at the time of injury. The odds that a 12-year veteran who ruptures his Achilles comes back to ever play again, or that an undrafted free agent holding onto a back-end roster spot comes back to play again, are going to be different than the odds that a highly paid player in the prime of their career plays again, even if the injury is identical.

They probably did not adjust for skill, but my main point in sharing this was that so many on this site and on twitter seem to have decided his career is over.  If 74% of guys have been able to come back, and some of the 26% who did not return may have been for a reason other than health, then the odds are in his favor to return.  As with any serious injury, there are no guarantees and but I expect him to return. 

No way of knowing how close to pre-injury level he will be, but he will probably be back in 2022.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Lith said:

Came across this on a Rams site in the context of Cam Akers achilles tear.  From 2017 Study for American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/2473011417S000314

Interesting that more than half achilles injuries have occurred during pre-season.  Not sure how they define "power rating" but my probably incredibly oversimplified take is that Lawson should be able to return for 2022,  but the injury is likely to impact his production.

I wonder how many of the players who never played again were bottom of the roster type players who may not have furthered their careers even if they didnt have the injury 

You don’t plan on Lawson coming back for ‘22 and being the same player.  You draft and pursue FA’s as if he’s not.

If he’s close to being the same guy…it’s a bonus. 

really tough break.  I’m sure there are a couple of other teams that have already lost one of their most impactful players for the year.

or ..is it just us?