Son of Sam

Was a Senior in HS that year, lived in Nassau County (would NEVER say I was from NYC but I'm definitely a New Yorker-but I did live in Brooklyn in 1985-1987  and even then I never said I lived in NYC even though, technically... although I worked in Manhattan for 20 plus years).  

Oh yeah, I remember it very well.

One of my buddies--his nickname was Bonehead--and you'll understand why.

He hatched a plan that we should go parking together (no homo), one of us would wear a blonde wig (again, no homo) and smoke the dude out and shoot HIM before he shot us.

Spent a fair amount of time out in the Hamptons right before he was caught and I recall reports that he was planning on heading out to the Hamptons or Riverhead with a machine gun to go out in a blaze of glory (not sure how anyone would have known that--maybe it was in one of the letters he wrote).

That's where we were planning our counter-attack.

In restrospect, had he not gotten caught, we might have been heroes.  Or dead.

Probably dead.  

• Upvote 3

Watching Catching Killers on Netflix (I think it's season 2).  Pretty by-the-book docuseries about some of the most prolific serial killers in the US.

Had no idea who two of these guys were.  The Green River Killer? The Happy Face Killer?

Also the Charlize Theron character from Monster.

30-40 mins a piece, not bad. Just 4 episodes.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

The documentary was basically Maury Terry buying into what ever crazy nonsense Berkowitz told him, and adding to it. Berkowitz hungaround with some very odd druggie people. but whether means it was a "satanci cult", seriously doubt it. If you gre up in the 1970s and 1980s, there was always "satanists" in everything.  But in the rear view, it was mostly ridiculous. For example, Balck Sabbath Ozzy Osbourne mostly took Vincent Price movies and turned it into marketing. May be Jimmy Page buying Alestair Crowley's house was closer to the mark, but again, was it mystical nonsense to sell records? 

I say "mostly" advisedly. Went to a Catholic high school in Brooklyn. One of our teachers was a diocesan priest who said he had for a time been the exorcist for the Brooklyn Diocese. Was a very mild-mannered guy, not at all crazy. But also, serious and prayerful. And there were priests who taught us who were drunks or very uhappy; think it's a very lonely and unnatuarl life, and probbaly unhealthy. I never saw any of them who were abusers, though some were so accused later in life. But this guy told us credibly that there is evil, in some very strange ways that we cannot completely explain nor understand. But the things Terry talked about really had much more to do with people being hardcore drug addicts than anything else. He instead fixated on Satanists. 

It was a very scary time. My dad was a NYPD seregeant detective, but he did not work on the case. But people were freaking out every time the sun went down. Recall girls cutting their hair because was thought the killer was attracted to girls with long hair. 

The place the final murder took place off the Belt in Dyker Heights is still called unofficially by everyone Son of Sam Park. 

For sure, I came away feeling like Terry had lost the plot, but the way it’s laid out in the documentary made it seem like he  got increasingly desperate to get his story out and he got chewed up in the process. 

• Upvote 2