OK... who wants to play Fantasy GM?

stormshadow19

Ok... the Jets have, roughly, 20 million dollars in cap space. And they have the number four pick in the upcoming NFL draft. Let's say this:

The Jets trade John Abraham, 2007 first and 2007 third to Denver for the 22 and 29 first overall picks.

Ok, that gives you 28 million dollars in cap space and the number 4, 22, 29, and 35 in the upcoming draft.

Here's what I want from you:

First and foremost, get creative! Second, who do you draft? Do you bring in any free agents? You have the keys to the kingdom... what do you do with them?

What? No one wants to play? Sheesh... I'll go first...

First... the free agents. Well... first I cut Victor Hobson. He doesn't fit into the plan anymore. Not after my signings, anyway.

Julian Peterson, OLB 5 years, 30 million (~ 6 million a year)

- Replaces John Abraham, for the most part. Is a natural outside linebacker. Is a playmaker. Can rush the passer. Can drop back into coverage.

Brad Kassell, MLB 6 years 22 million (~3.55ish million a year)

- Replaces Victor Hobson in the 3-4, as the MLB next to Vilma. Yeah, it's a risk, but it can boom this defense.

Az Hakim, WR 2 years 3.50 million (~1.75 million per season)

- Speed to burn. He's not bad, if he knows his role. That role isn't that of a first or second WR. Not even a third WR. Perfect as a number four. Might come cheaper than what I've got up there... but hey, they're just guesses. I'd try and get him cheaper.

Tom Ashworth, OT 3 years 5 million (~1.4 million per)

- Becomes the super sub, on the offensive line. Can start, or do whatever.

Now... for the draft. Going on a prediction the Jets get a comp 3rd round pick, this is based up into round five.

4 - D'Brickshaw Ferguson, OT Virginia

-Immediately becomes the starter, and anchor of the offensive line. It was between him and Mario Williams... but I based this lil quick mock of the one we're running.

22 - Gabe Watson, DT Michigan

- Can become that anchor in the 3/4. He's a very big body, and has played in the 3/4 before. Michigan played it his junior year.

29 - Ashton Youboty, CB Ohio State

- Can't beat this value, this late in the first round. That, and he could become a damn good corner. Especially with Mangini playing alot of different packages in the backfield.

35 - Max Jean Giles, OG Georgia

- With Ferguson, this almost patches up all the holes in the offensive line. But, let's not get ahead of ourselves. That comes later.

71 - Gerris Wilkinson, LB Georgia Tech

- Why draft a linebacker? Well... he's a natural middle linebacker. And, you can never have enough bodies back there. He could develop into something special. He had a decent 40 time, for a linebacker. Besides, his plate is clean, and can be filled up with a bunch of knowledge.

97 - Ryan Cook, C New Mexico

- Now, all the holes are filled, on the offensive line. Well, potentially, anyway.

102 - Brad Gradkowski, QB Toledo

- I like him. I'm a MAC guy. Could he be had later? Maybe... my strong suit isn't projecting in a draft. But, he could be a gem, this late.

133 - Jason Avant, WR Michigan

- I know... he's not that good, he's slow, he didn't set the land on fire in college... but he's not being drafted to do any of that. He's being drafted to shore up the WR corp. Coles, McCarines, Cotchery, Hakim, and now Avant... it won't strike fear into opponents hearts, but they'll get the job done. Avant is a good possession guy, who knows where the first down marker is. And he'll go over the middle to make a catch.

It's not the best, but it's something to get this train a rolling. Hell, I even wrote out my depth chart... this team may not be great, but they look alot better than it did at the end of last season.

Free Agency:

Sign ILB Brad Kassell --- 5 years, $ 18.5 million ($4 mill signing bonus)

Kassell gives us the other starting ILB in the 3-4 defense that Mangini will most likely bring to the table.

Also, release Victor Hobson.

Draft:

#4 - OT D'Brickshaw Ferguson, Virginia

The cornerstone to the offensive lines in the mold of Odgen and Pace for years to come.

#22 - OLB DeMarco Ryans, Alabama

After the cutting of Victor Hobson or deciding to use him as a back-up the Jets take Ryan to be an OLB along with Barton to rush the passer.

#29 - DT Gabe Watson, Michigan

The NT that Mangini is looking for to plug up the holes while we play in the 3-4 scheme.

#35 - C Greg Eslinger, Minnesota

Gives us our starting center for 06 and many years to come as Eslinger proves out to be a major steal at 35.

#71 - QB Brodie Croyle, Alabama

The Jets take yet another #12 from Alabama like years ago and hope to groom Croyle into the eventual starter and successor to Chad Pennington.

#97 - CB DeMario Minter, UGA

If this guy is still here it's a must need pick for the Jets at 71 as it gives them a good young prospect to go into camp with Barrett, Miller and Strait.

#102 - WR Jason Avant, Michigan

Avant is around in the middle of Round 4 and since the Jets don't think he'll be that at 133 they take him here to add some depth to their very weak WR core. Avant was over-shadowed by Braylon Edwards for 3 years at Michigan but shined in his senior season.

#133 - OG Jason Spitz, Louisville

If Spitz is here it's a no brainer to grab him in the beginning of Round 5 to add depth to Moore and Kendall.

So who's gonna be Quarterback?

IMO you just lost your job as the GM if you don't bring someone in to compete with Pennington.

Something tells me that the Jets will trade with NO and get Leinart... Or stay put and get Cutler. I know Ferguson would be a great pick at 4 and so would Mario Williams but without a qb how many more games will we win next year than we did this year?

Are we going to try and get another top 5 pick again next year and get Brady? I would like to see if the team can't compete this year. I know most people have lost faith that this could happen but if we could bring in a QB and maybe a decent #2 reciever We might have something to work with.

So who's gonna be Quarterback?

IMO you just lost your job as the GM if you don't bring someone in to compete with Pennington.

Something tells me that the Jets will trade with NO and get Leinart... Or stay put and get Cutler. I know Ferguson would be a great pick at 4 and so would Mario Williams but without a qb how many more games will we win next year than we did this year?

Are we going to try and get another top 5 pick again next year and get Brady? I would like to see if the team can't compete this year. I know most people have lost faith that this could happen but if we could bring in a QB and maybe a decent #2 reciever We might have something to work with.

Can you read? The Jets traded their pick for next year... that was the scenerio.

There isn't a free agent QB that I'm comfortable bringing in, so I drafted one in the fourth.

Archived