Rumor: Brian Flores lawsuit prevented Tom Brady takeover in Miami

AFJF

On 4/12/2022 at 5:01 PM, nycdan said:

Absolutely.  Just because he retires, doesn't change the fact that TB would still own his rights.  Even if he became an executive with the Fish, that wouldn't change.  

I read somewhere that there was wording in the contract where if he retired the contract became voided.  He signed an extension after the Superbowl.  If Arians stayed and he executed Order 66 in June or on the eve of training camp, what would that have done to the Bucs cap situation?

I would guess it would be similar to the threat of Gronk unretiring after Brady left Foxboro. "Ok, I am not retiring, but I am not playing for you.  You can trade me to the Bucs or I will just malinger around here why you deal with my cap charge."

19 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

I read somewhere that there was wording in the contract where if he retired the contract became voided.  He signed an extension after the Superbowl.  If Arians stayed and he executed Order 66 in June or on the eve of training camp, what would that have done to the Bucs cap situation?

I would guess it would be similar to the threat of Gronk unretiring after Brady left Foxboro. "Ok, I am not retiring, but I am not playing for you.  You can trade me to the Bucs or I will just malinger around here why you deal with my cap charge."

I mean, if the contract had an option for the player, I'd be surprised.  Brady's best chance would be either being released with a post June 1 designation (which you can do in advance).   Brady may have been hoping that this was a way out of his contract (stinkin cheater).

If a player is cut or traded before June 1, all the remaining prorated salary bonus money left on his contract accelerates to that current year.  With the June 1st designation, only this years money hits the cap, and the rest hits the following season." 

While Tampa  might have done that to get some limited $$ cap space, BA came out and said 'no way we would do that' which pretty much killed Brady's chances of playing for the 49rs or the stinking fish.