Fantasy Football: A Year in Review

Smizzy

Fantasy Football: A Year in Review

Another long and exciting fantasy regular season has come to an end and many are left wondering where it went. In this final installment of the Fantasy Review, we look at this year's top five performers at each position. For everyone not in keeper leagues those listed in the top five should give you a good idea how to get the draft started next year, and for those that are, we'll give you an idea of who you need to acquire.

The 2005 season certainly had its fair share of surprises. Eli Manning became a top fantasy point scorer while Peyton Manning's numbers, though still among the leaders, fell far short of last year's greatness. Larry Johnson came on for an injured Priest Holmes in Kansas City and devastated defenses as he finished the year with nine straight games of over 100 yards rushing. Charlotte receiver Steve Smith came back from an injury plagued 2004 to lead all receivers and the Colts' defense became just as scary as their offense.

Top Five Quarterbacks of 2005

Carson Palmer

SO this brings us to the question.... Who is the #1 pick going into 2006?

Shaun Alexander finally had the year that proved his dominance. I think you gotta pick him as the 1st RB.

Edge, LT2, Larry JOhnson, and Tiki Barber all follow him as the top 5

1st QB is tough because of Palmers injury and the departure of Edge in INdy.

Believe it or not I think that Bledsoe will once again be a top 5 QB because of Terrel Owens.

I also think that Aaron Brooks with Randy Moss and Jerry Porter could be an interesting combination as well.

Of course I remain confident that Peyton Manning is always the safest bet when picking a QB because he doesn't miss games due to injury. In fantasy football it would make decision making so much easier if you didn't ahve to worry about how many games a player will actually suit up for. In Mannings case you don't have to. He has played every game since his rookie year without missing any time. Hes the new Brett Favre except Peyton doesn't take the viscious hits that Favre consistently takes.

WR my 1st choice is gonna be Chad JOhnson. Going into last year he was mentioned as one of the top 5 WR's in fantasy and at the seasons end he was the only one who finished there. Even if Palmer isn't 100% I still think JOhnson will be good with whoever is throwing him the ball.

Steve Smith was phenominal last year but keep in mind he will face tons of double coverage from now on.

Fitzgerald is also a very good pick in a keeper league especially. Having Anquan Boldin around keeps him from being doubled also.

T.O. has his paycheck now and seems ready to play.

Torry HOlt is always a monster. Bruce getting older seems to equate into more looks toward holt as well.

Randy Moss got off to an incredible start last year before being injured. Many people will pass on Moss this year based on his lack of production the past two seasons but Moss is the most talented WR in the NFL and could dominate the league if he and Aaron Brooks develope a good on the field relationship.

Defense... who cares about defense someone that nobody even drafted always turns out to be one of the best defenses every year. Just be the first guy to jump on them.

• 2 weeks later...
Fantasy football is for geeks. Its for guys that would rather have Peyton Manning throw TD's instead of win games, even if it was aganst your favorite team...fantasy football comes first....BBOoooOOOOOOO

Wrong.

I had 4 FF teams last year. For every player I might have had, I was also playing against him, most likely. Three of those leagues included defensive players. Do you know who Atlanta's MLB is? Without having to look it up? Who is Greg Ellis? No clue, I'm sure.

That one comment.... about rooting against your own team, tells me you are just another empty barrel with an echo. But, the net and message boards are full of people who think they are informed.... when they are in fact, complete idiots. Why even post in here? :baby:

Wrong.

I had 4 FF teams last year. For every player I might have had, I was also playing against him, most likely. Three of those leagues included defensive players. Do you know who Atlanta's MLB is? Without having to look it up? Who is Greg Ellis? No clue, I'm sure.

That one comment.... about rooting against your own team, tells me you are just another empty barrel with an echo. But, the net and message boards are full of people who think they are informed.... when they are in fact, complete idiots. Why even post in here? :baby:

I like the aspect of being interested in more than one team... If every once in a while I find myself rooting for the Patriots defense on monday night or something than so be it but my allegance is to the New York Jets first and formost.

Fantasy football keeps you up to date on all the news and without it I was only really interested in one team. It's the reason I live for football as a whole not just the Jets. I love checking out trades and being aware of who goes where.

Wrong.

I see your point. I used to love fantasy football. I just found myself with conflicting interests at times and also found ALOT of my time needed to be devoted to it in order to be competetive. Just my opinion, no need for the baby symbol. I love ya, have fun with your fantasy.

• 3 weeks later...

For the people who care about Fantasy Sports more then their own team they should be castrated with fishing rods the second they say something so stupid. I see posts in the Baseball forum with Jermaine with the "OH THANK GOD HE'S ON MY FANTASY TEAM!!"

Really? who gives a ****? Nobody. Care about your team first.

I really hate the guys at the games who go and say:

Well yeah we're playing Seattle today so I hope Alexander runs for 250 and 3 TD's and we win 24-21, woo! Go Jets!

Go F Yourself.

I like Fantasy, but putting it close to the real thing is just laughable.

Archived