Carr……..no

SoJetsy

2 hours ago, usanyj said:

he’s the next Matt stafford in many peoples opinion. Put him in a better situation and he could be the next guy who leads his team where they want to go.

I'll agree here. Like Matt, people are still holding out hope for Derek for some reason. How Stafford avoided criticism for so long as the number 1 pick is pretty amazing. I know he played for Detroit but never elevated any of those teams especially after Johnson retired. Matt is lucky he won last year, he's probably the least scrutinized #1 overall pick I've ever seen.

Also, Carr's numbers are horrible in cold weather. He's a dome QB that comes with a big price tag. 

3 minutes ago, rillo said:

I'll agree here. Like Matt, people are still holding out hope for Derek for some reason. How Stafford avoided criticism for so long as the number 1 pick is pretty amazing. I know he played for Detroit but never elevated any of those teams especially after Johnson retired. Matt is lucky he won last year, he's probably the least scrutinized #1 overall pick I've ever seen.

Also, Carr's numbers are horrible in cold weather. He's a dome QB that comes with a big price tag. 

Where can we look at cold weather numbers for QBs?

He played most of his career in oakland which is not a dome, but also not a cold climate.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Could be. If White could stay on the field for 3 consecutive games more would be convinced. 

As things stand, starting QB White means the Jets starting QB for half the games or more will be the QB2. Plus we’ve all seen White look just as bad or worse. I’ve also seen a couple bad games from Carr, and thats with admittedly missing most of his starts. 

Yeah maybe the right move is White + Minshew. That’s occurred to plenty of us, too.

I don’t know every reason he looked so bad, but any Jets fan knows the other reasons for non-success on a given play when viewing the all-22 we’re not going to bother with for this game, and why he was trying to over-force it to Adams).

But he’s still an obvious overall upgrade over the past however-many Jets QBs when you further factor in availability. Is he an upgrade worth the $ he’s got coming to him? Probably not, but you only get to choose among available QBs, not choose between any of the unavailable better ones and him. Truth is we don’t yet know who’s available and what it’d take to get each.

He is an upgrade, but you are not going from the $hithouse to the penthouse.  He is a high ticket QB because of the dearth of elite QB's in the league.  I think the cap space is better invested in a cheaper but comparable skill set QB.  I would also be on board with White / Minshew plus drafting a developmental QB.  This team is good enough to compete in the short term with that plan assuming White can stay healthy.  Phil Simms managed to stay relatively healthy after a few injury plagued seasons so it can happen.

26 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He played most of his career in oakland which is not a dome, but also not a cold climate.

Yeah, I was joking about the dome QB comment. But if he comes here he'll definitely have to play in the elements. A lot of different factors go into the games obviously, but his numbers as the temperature drops is something to be concerned.

https://fansided.com/betsided/posts/derek-carr-s-record-in-cold-games-is-atrocious-bettors-beware-01fs80xd2afw/amp

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/29/can-raiders-qb-derek-carr-play-well-in-cold-weather/

6 minutes ago, rillo said:

Yeah, I was joking about the dome QB comment. But if he comes here he'll definitely have to play in the elements. A lot of different factors go into the games obviously, but his numbers as the temperature drops is something to be concerned.

https://fansided.com/betsided/posts/derek-carr-s-record-in-cold-games-is-atrocious-bettors-beware-01fs80xd2afw/amp

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/29/can-raiders-qb-derek-carr-play-well-in-cold-weather/

Those stats are concerning. The w/l record is a team thing and his defenses have been awful most of his career.

I wish I could look at cold weather stats for all QBs. I'm sure most if not all drop off. Those numbers are pretty rough though.

45 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

He is an upgrade, but you are not going from the $hithouse to the penthouse.  He is a high ticket QB because of the dearth of elite QB's in the league.  I think the cap space is better invested in a cheaper but comparable skill set QB.  I would also be on board with White / Minshew plus drafting a developmental QB.  This team is good enough to compete in the short term with that plan assuming White can stay healthy.  Phil Simms managed to stay relatively healthy after a few injury plagued seasons so it can happen.

I don't think he's the most awesomest QB either. The reality is people were mocking the Rams for the Stafford trade: he's injury prone, he's a career loser, etc.

The expression of "in the land of the blind..." you're aware of? Yeah I think that "land" was probably in reference to 1 Jets Drive in Florham Park and Carr has at least 1 working eye.

Could be the better move is White/Minshew & a day 2 pick. I'm not president of the Carr fan club. I'd prefer White, tbh, if he could stay on the field. My concern is that having White as the starter really means the QB2 is the starter 10+ games per season. 

Anyway I'm just saying there are always rationalizations why, when someone else in the past suddenly became a winner on a new team, rationalizations abound why that situation was different. Zero people here thought Stafford made the Rams good enough to become a SB winner that first season. It's only in hindsight that these rationalizations occur.

Would Carr-Jets be the next Rams-Stafford or the next Colts-Ryan? You tell me; I can't predict the future that accurately.

This is all conjecture anyway; it's hardly known he's really available in the first place. Also because none of us get to make that decision as well. But I digest. 

• Upvote 2