Carr……..no

SoJetsy

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This was surely said about 2 of the last 3 non-Brady SB winners, Stafford & Foles.

This team has fewer holes to fill than many think. It’s not as though every other SB team was weakness-free outside of the QB position.

The team isn’t a finished product everywhere, but few if any are every off-season. They’ve got real playmakers and it’s easier to find players around then than it is to find them. A competent QB covers up lots of them, and non starter-level QBs makes them more obvious.

Carr may not be the answer but the fact is Lions-Stafford couldn’t succeed as a SB winner where Rams-Stafford instantly could.

Foles won with a roster that was built around a QB on a rookie deal, which I’d guess is why you didn’t dig into him too much. Roster construction wise he’s more an argument for draft another QB, have a veteran backup, spend everywhere else while you’ve got young premium position guys on rookie deals than anything else IMO.

I think Stafford and Carr are and were very different levels of talent personally. The Lions very clearly failed to build around Stafford for a long time but he consistently put up big numbers. Carr seems to be on the decline and has always been extraordinarily streaky. I suppose he could get hot in the playoffs one year but I wouldn’t pay him $40M to figure that out.

I guess a different comparison - the Rams roster Stafford went to was dramatically better than the Lions roster he left. I’m not sure the Jets’ roster is dramatically better than the Raiders’ roster - before they gut it or move cap space around to afford him. The Rams also got Stafford because they identified not being able to push the ball down the field as a limiting factor for a roster that was already in place. Not sure the Jets have a need that specific, it’s more just competence and they’ve seemingly found that in stretches with White.

To me it makes more sense to chase affordable competence in the White/Minshew/mid round pick/first rounder who can actually play if you love him but I doubt that’s on the table way, continue to build out the roster, and when there’s a good infrastructure in place and you figure out where the QB with mediocre tools limits you then make the all in move with a specific plan and skill set in mind.

That’s what worked for the Rams with Stafford, that process is how the Eagles fell into Hurts, frankly it’s what worked for KC with Mahomes, it’s what SF is trying to do with Lance, a version of that is what Tampa and Denver did with Brady and Manning respectively (and where Denver missed with Wilson - Rodgers is closer to this than any of the other veterans but comes with risk as we saw with Wilson), and it’s probably what Miami will do once they inevitably realize they need to dump Tua. Just strikes me as more calculated and sustainable than the throw any QB at the wall and see what sticks that they’ve been doing for the last decade plus.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SoJetsy said:

Some of you guys want Derek Carr, the games I watched him play he is never gonna be a SB winning QB.

Care on this team would make us a contender. Hell, Geno Smith makes us a playoff team. 

Mike White for 17 games makes us a playoff team. 

The way I read it Carr’s guaranteed money is mostly paid out this year. They back loaded his deal and nobody is going to pay out his on the books salary like 40 per until he’s a UFA in 2026. So a lot of negotiating on salary to make a deal with him and it would prob be a trade unless the Raiders release him. But he has a full no trade clause. Probably skip it. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/derek-carr-14445/

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This was surely said about 2 of the last 3 non-Brady SB winners, Stafford & Foles.

This team has fewer holes to fill than many think. It’s not as though every other SB team was weakness-free outside of the QB position.

The team isn’t a finished product everywhere, but few if any are every off-season. They’ve got real playmakers and it’s easier to find players around then than it is to find them. A competent QB covers up lots of them, and non starter-level QBs makes them more obvious.

Carr may not be the answer but the fact is Lions-Stafford couldn’t succeed as a SB winner where Rams-Stafford instantly could.

They used to say it about Peyton Manning. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, PepPep said:

It drives me crazy when posters on here say that Carr would ‘probably’ be an upgrade over White and so is not really worth the money. What??  In what world are you living?

Carr is head and shoulders, easily a much better QB and massive upgrade over both Zach and White. Carr regularly throws for 4k yards a season and he’s been on arguably one of the worst teams in the league his whole career. I just don’t don’t get the Carr hate. This team needs a veteran, this team needs a QB who can properly utilize the weapons we have on offense. Most importantly, they need the best QB they can get regardless of cost because they have a young talented core and are ready to win now.

Sure, there are other options, but this idea that resigning White (who won’t be cheap and will want starter money btw!) is the best option is really not a great take IMO.  

Bring in a legit vet QB (like Carr) and draft an OT in the first round. 

Only thing is Carr has pretty darn good weapons at WR and such but still can’t win consistently though Jets have a top 5 D that is much better than the Raiders D.

47 minutes ago, PepPep said:

It drives me crazy when posters on here say that Carr would ‘probably’ be an upgrade over White and so is not really worth the money. What??  In what world are you living?

Carr is head and shoulders, easily a much better QB and massive upgrade over both Zach and White. Carr regularly throws for 4k yards a season and he’s been on arguably one of the worst teams in the league his whole career. I just don’t don’t get the Carr hate. This team needs a veteran, this team needs a QB who can properly utilize the weapons we have on offense. Most importantly, they need the best QB they can get regardless of cost because they have a young talented core and are ready to win now.

Sure, there are other options, but this idea that resigning White (who won’t be cheap and will want starter money btw!) is the best option is really not a great take IMO.  

Bring in a legit vet QB (like Carr) and draft an OT in the first round. 

Carr has never had a defense ranked higher than 16th in dvoa and has usually had a bottom 10 defense.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Stafford and Carr are not in the same class.  Stafford put up good numbers on a perennially crappy team, Carr has shown flashes but has mainly looked mediocre and was brutal last night.    From a cost/benefit perspective I would just keep White.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I think McDaniels broke Carr.  Was never great to begin with.  Yes he’d absolutely be an upgrade over Wilson and probably white but will want a big contract. I would rather resign White and draft another qb first or second rd

The money Carr would want is a good point. I actually don't  think he is that much better than White. White just has to stop getting hurt. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The money Carr would want is a good point. I actually don't  think he is that much better than White. White just has to stop getting hurt. 

Carr is better than White. It is tricky to evaluate him this year because McDaniels is such an inept clown. I want to think Carr sucking this year is all on McDaniels and that’s probably true but who knows

1 hour ago, SoJetsy said:

Carr gets rattled to easy when hit, he won’t run 2 yds for a first for fear of getting hit . Carr has Devante who has now become invisible with him at QB. I don’t see killer instinct in “Football Jesus” Derek Carr.

Adams has 1300 yards and 12 TD’s this year

On what planet is that “invisible”?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This makes sense. I'm on board. 

7 minutes ago, doitny said:

142 games vs 6. yeah thats a fair comparison. smh

That’s one of the problems with White. He will want starter money, the Jets need a starting QB and I don’t want to dole out a new contract to a guy who started 6 games with the intent of him leading the Jets on a playoff run in 2023. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1