Two Directions

PeterNorth09

In this rebuilding process there are two directions the Jets can take. Both involve qb's.

1) Draft Cutler or Young at 4 since Ramsey may not be good enough to ever lead us to a Super Bowl.

2) Build around Ramsey by getting him playmakers that will make him look good and stocking the O-line.

Option #1 is the more high risk option. Drafting a qb in Round 1 is always high-risk/high-reward. If they did it it wouldn't bother me though.

Option #2 is less risky but may not end up with us getting to a Super Bowl. Reason being is that Ramsey has limited upside. However, as Brad Johnson, Kerry Collins, Jake Delhomme and Trent Dilfer have all shown, you don't necessarily need a great qb to go to or win a Super Bowl.

If we go with Option #2 and stick with Ramsey you better get him playmakers. One guy that would be nice is Vernon Davis. Davis is by far the best receiver in the draft. He ran a 4.38 40 this year and a 4.41 40 last year so he definitely can line up at receiver. He even played at receiver alot in college. He would definitely be a home run threat that would help Ramsey. It would also make the Jets a possible playoff contender next year.

Davis is also projected to go between 5 and 7 in the draft so it wouldn't be a reach to get him. Drafting Cutler might be more of a reach.

So it's either gonna be this -

Jay-Cutler.jpg

or this -

237507.jpg

And if we don't take a QB and Ramsey doesn't work out, then we find a way to take Brady Quinn next year ;)

Don't you think it's alot to count on getting Brady Quinn next year? If we're not in exactly the right draft position to get him the team that is will have us by the balls and can extort us for whatever they want.

Don't you think it's alot to count on getting Brady Quinn next year? If we're not in exactly the right draft position to get him the team that is will have us by the balls and can extort us for whatever they want.
Yeah, there's a good chance we won't be able to draft him unless we want to give up a whole lot, but we can still hope.

I'll take option 2 and build around Ramsey...even with option 1 you would have to surround Cutler or Young with playmakers because they sure as hell aren't going to lead us to the damn bowl themselves.

If we build around Ramsey, at least you can start building up the lines and perhaps get some playmakers and then maybe in year 2 or 3 makes some serious noise.

You make it sound like you want to do this thing overnight with option 1 and that ain't happening.

as much as i dislike ramsey, he is more nfl ready than cutler and actually gives the team a chance to win games. who knows he may turn his career around in ny and turn into a serviceable player. i think leinart is ready to start from day 1 but without a line his career will tank in a hurry.

the jets have so many holes to fill i don't really see any benefit in paying 1 player a $20M signing bonus. the best thing they can do is trade down and add picks. if leinart somehow makes it to #4 i could see denver moving up with their 2 1's and grabbing him.

worst case the jets move down in rd 1 and add a 2nd - that should still be enough to add to starters to the '06 team.

Archived