Grading Gang Green’s Approach to the 2024 NFL Draft

20 hours ago, AFJF said:

I don't disagree that Fashanu will play and that he should be a very good player. But as a backup in 2024 we'll have to wait and see if he plays enough to feel good about using pick 11 on him.  If he sees the field and plays six or seven games would it not have been better to use a proven vet for those few games and have an additional weapon for what you expect to be seventeen games?  IMO that was a better route.

The fact that Douglas was trying to trade up and take a receiver instead of Fashanu tells us he saw the need for a play maker.

I know that it wasn't surprising to everyone, but as I've watched them make one move after another that's aimed at winning this year, I was surprised that Douglas had a weapons as his top priority but then went with a backup instead.

Yes and no.

In a vacuum? Sure (though I don't know what you're doing with a weapon in a vacuum, weirdo). That's why they would have taken Odunze over Fashanu if both were available. But you wouldn't have been picking "a weapon" you would have been picking from among the available players. The next 5 "weapons" to go were Bowers (13), Brian Thomas Jr. (23), Worthy (28), Pearsall (31), and Legette (32). Measuring against pre-draft expectations, all of them other than Bowers would have been major reaches at 10 (and given reportage that the Jets had Corley as their No. 4 WR, all of the WRs would have been much farther down their draft board). So really it boils down to "Bowers or Fashanu" and the Bowers thing has been talked to death. Wherever you land on that, it's clear the Jets had no interest in him. So, based on their evaluations - no, it would not have been better to take a weapon.

After the trade back to 11 with Minn we had a 3rd, 3 4ths, a 5th and a 7th (we traded our 6th in the deal)

After the trade up for Corley we had 3 4th rounders(1 high, 1 mid, 1 low) and a 7th (we traded our 5th in the deal to move up)

After more shuffling back and forth, we eventually ended up with a 2025 3rd, 1 4th,  3 5th rounders and a 7th.

Definitely an odd day 3 but we ended up with more total picks in the long run but missing out on some players in the top half of the 4th round and not getting "chart value" in some of the trades back.