Aaron Rodgers key to improved Jets’ defense

We all recognize the important role Rodgers plays on both sides of the ball. Narnia breaks down some of the stats. Full article with film can be found at

https://jetsxfactor.com/2024/06/19/ny-jets-defense-aaron-rodgers-boost/

….. On paper, the Jets’ defensive roster looks similarly talented to last year’s. All of their Pro Bowl and/or All-Pro players will return. The Jets lost some key pieces, but they did a nice job of replacing them, and they have numerous young players who are due for leaps in performance.

What gives the Jets’ defense a chance to take another leap in 2024 is not a change in their collective talent level. Rather, it’s an improvement in the opportunities presented to them by the offense.

New York has achieved its defensive excellence despite being forced into unfavorable game scripts by an abominable offense. Look no further than the field position handed to them as a byproduct of turnovers and three-and-outs. In 2023, the Jets’ defense ranked 24th in average starting field position, and in 2022, they ranked 30th.

Better play from the offense, sparked by the upgrade from Zach Wilson to Rodgers, should allow the defense to play with better field position. They will face fewer short fields in which points are gift-wrapped to the opponent off of a turnover, which was a common occurrence last season; the Jets had the third-most defensive drives that started in their own territory with 26. They will also face more long fields in which the opponent is backed against their own end zone, forcing them into mistakes. 

In 2023, the Jets’ defense faced the third-most rush attempts per game (30.4) and the fourth-fewest pass attempts per game (30.7). Their opponent pass play percentage was 52.4%, third-lowest in the NFL. In fourth quarters, that rate dropped all the way to 41.6% (also third-lowest).

Fewer passes means fewer opportunities to create sacks and turnovers. If the opponent is allowed to run the ball to their heart’s content, it becomes easy to protect the football, control the clock, and avoid big losses of yardage.

Among the top four teams in defensive DVOA last season (1. BAL, 2. CLE, 3. NYJ, 4. SF), the Jets were the only one who did not rank in the top half of opponent pass play percentage. San Francisco led the NFL with its opponents throwing a whopping 63.6% of the time. Baltimore was fourth at 62.5% while Cleveland was 14th at 57.8%. As we mentioned earlier, the Jets were way down at 30th with a measly 52.4%.

This disparity became more severe in fourth quarters, as the other three teams forced more passes in the final frame while the Jets forced fewer. San Francisco jumped to 71.2%, Baltimore skyrocketed to 72.5%, and Cleveland crept to 63.3%. The Jets, of course, stooped to 41.6%.

With Rodgers leading an offense that should be competent at the very least, these opportunities will become routine rather than a rarity. The Jets’ defense will be adding a luxury that its peers in the elite ranks were already benefiting from, giving the Jets a chance to separate themselves from the pack and seize the NFL’s defensive throne.

Every time I see an article by Narnia, I am reminded of those God awful Chronicles of Narnia movies. I took my son to see one, napped for about an hour. Thankful my son didn't start roaming the cineplex while I was out.

• Haha 3

I have to be honest.

I'm just extremely curious to see, what the Jets offense will really look like, with a full season of Aaron Rodgers behind center.

Obviously the assumption is that it will be more productive, but I just can't envision what it's going to look like.

For me, the anticipation is palpable. 

8 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I have to be honest.

I'm just extremely curious to see, what the Jets offense will really look like, with a full season of Aaron Rodgers behind center.

Obviously the assumption is that it will be more productive, but I just can't really envision what it's going to look like.

For me, the anticipation is palpable. 

Going off last year, against a 9 man front, Breece will be run into the line 2x for no gain, followed by an incomplete pass, sack or interception.

This year, Hackett will call the same play, but thankfully, Rodgers sees he has GW 1:1 vs. a CB 10 yards off the LOS. Rodgers calls the audible, hits GW in stride on a slant and he picks up 15 yards. Repeat some variation of this for 65 offensive plays. We win!!

• Haha 1

Pretty much obvious.  Scoring points means the other team needs to score points.  And it won’t take record scoring to help the defense.  The jets have been hovering around seventeen for the past three seasons and I don’t think they’ve gone above twenty ppg since 2015. They need to be around twenty four or so.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Pretty much obvious.  Scoring points means the other team needs to score points.  And it won’t take record scoring to help the defense.  The jets have been hovering around seventeen for the past three seasons and I don’t think they’ve gone above twenty ppg since 2015. They need to be around twenty four or so.

When Rodgers isn’t getting the team in the EZ, I fully expect him to get Greg the Leg consistently within FG range. Especially when OTAs showed repeatedly that Rodgers was taking what the defense was giving him.

Add to this, Morsted will have more opportunities to pin the opposition inside their own 20 fairly often. 1st in # of punts last year… unacceptable!
image.thumb.png.36911ba4f4c12671d5ed6f41530aff95.png
image.thumb.jpeg.d6028053a9822ca80b2ecfb4b43b7065.jpeg

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

When Rodgers isn’t getting the team in the EZ, I fully expect him to get Greg the Leg consistently within FG range. Especially when OTAs showed repeatedly that Rodgers was taking what the defense was giving him.

Add to this, Morsted will have more opportunities to pin the opposition inside their own 20 fairly often. 1st in # of punts last year… unacceptable!

We were constantly losing the field position battle. It seemed like half the time our offense went backwards, lol 😅

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

We were constantly losing the field position battle. It seemed like half the time our offense went backwards, lol 😅

Considering Jets QBs took 64 sacks for -464 yds and threw 15 INT (vs. 11 TD) & had 18 fumbles…. I’d say that there’s a high probability that you are correct. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

More stats backing up the fact that defense will be much better off with Rodgers!

• Week 2, Dallas, 30-10: -7.1%
  • Week 9, L.A. Chargers, 27-6: -20.9%
  • Week 11, Buffalo, 32-6: -9.8%
  • Week 12, Miami, 34-13: -14.8%
  • Week 15, Miami, 30-0: -23.2%

Part of this is certainly the opponents’ strength. Dallas, Buffalo, and Miami ranked ninth, third, and second in offensive DVOA, which means the Jets got a positive adjustment in those games. The Jets’ season-long defensive DVOA was -14.2%, which means they played better than their season average in three of those games.

Despite the blowout defeats, the Jets’ defense often posted some excellent statistics in those games. They held Dallas to 2-for-6 in the red zone, 3.0 yards per carry, and 6.4 yards per attempt. Justin Herbert threw for just 136 yards on 16-for-30 passing, and the Chargers had just 191 total yards for the game. Buffalo averaged 3.4 yards per carry and went 5-for-13 on third down. Tua Tagovailoa threw two interceptions in the first Miami matchup, and the Dolphins had just 290 total offensive yards in the second game, far below their 401.3 season-long average.

The Jets’ offense heavily contributed to those lopsided scores. They had four turnovers against Dallas, three against L.A., four against Buffalo, two in the first Miami game, and four in the second Miami game.

These turnovers led to a large chunk of the points allowed by the defense. Of the 153 points allowed by New York across these five games, 47 of them came on drives that began in Jets territory. Another 29 points came on drives that started between the 50-yard line and the opponent’s 40-yard line. On top of that, the Jets threw a pick-six against Miami and allowed a punt return touchdown to the Chargers. Altogether, that’s 90 of the 153 points allowed.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

all good points.  make the other team play on a long field.  i wonder what the jets average starting position was in coparison to the other teams?  i'll bet they were nearly last in that category too.

• Upvote 1