Aaron Rodgers Mobility/Ability to Take a Hit

Last night's game showed me all I needed to know about Rodgers' ability to move within and outside the pocket. What he showed is basically all you need to do to be successful in today's NFL. He slid around the pocket when needed, moved outside the pocket and found receivers and even ran for first downs/positive yardage.

I've also seen enough to not clutch my pearls whenever he gets sacked or hit. He's a tough guy and last year's injury is proving to be a fluke.

I had some concerns after weeks 1 when he looked like a guy unwilling to move. I don't any more. 

And just for sh*ts and grins, here's a terrible summer take 😅

Screenshot_20240920-142352_Chrome.jpg

• Post of the Week 1

Regardless of his mobility, there are many here who must come clean and admit they were wrong.  The fact is that Rodgers has not lost a step due to old age.  His 2022 season in GB was not the "start of his immediate decline," it was simply a down year he had with a broken thumb and nobody at WR.

We saw the decline in Peyton's arm.  We even saw it in Brady's to a lesser degree.  There is nothing wrong with Rodgers' arm whatsoever, nothing wrong with his brain, and he's still more mobile now than Peyton or Brady ever were.

And he looked completely different yesterday than he did the first 2 weeks.  No jitters, no holding the ball whatsoever - I think the rust is nearly gone.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Regardless of his mobility, there are many here who must come clean and admit they were wrong.  The fact is that Rodgers has not lost a step due to old age.  His 2022 season in GB was not the "start of his immediate decline," it was simply a down year he had with a broken thumb and nobody at WR.

We saw the decline in Peyton's arm.  We even saw it in Brady's to a lesser degree.  There is nothing wrong with Rodgers' arm whatsoever, nothing wrong with his brain, and he's still more mobile now than Peyton or Brady ever were.

And he looked completely different yesterday than he did the first 2 weeks.  No jitters, no holding the ball whatsoever - I think the rust is nearly gone.

Week 1 was a very difficult environment for him and the team. He was definitely rusty/unsure of his achilles, and the Jets barely had the ball on offense.

Week 2 he still looked rusty at times but he was much better in the second half and absolutely money on the game winning drive (his first as a Jet.)

Week 3 he looked like prime Aaron Rodgers. I think there is still a bit of rust to knock off (the almost delay of games, not quite in sync with Wilson) but that was a great performance and he was moving like I never expected.

Don't expect anyone here to come clean and admit anything. There is always next week and the hope he implodes. Some of his biggest critics have posted less than a handful of posts since last night's performance. You won't hear any kudos unless the Jets win the SB. 

What we saw last night in terms of his mobility was a weird disconnect.

Last year, in those four plays, before the Achilles blew, I thought something doesn't look right.  Game one against 'frisco, I thought, we'll he's not anywhere close to as nimble as he used to be.  Game two, I thought, maybe a bit better, but clearly, he's very limited.

Last night, I thought:  Where did this come from?  He looks like he did half a decade ago.

Maybe civilians don't understand the psychology and physiology of football at the pro level as well as we think we do.  Some weird concoction of confidence, physical readiness, and maybe plain old drive/desire.   

Maybe Aaron Rodgers is playing a form of 4D chess we don't grasp.

Whatever it is, I hope he keeps doing it, because it's great.

1 minute ago, rbstern said:

What we saw last night in terms of his mobility was a weird disconnect.

Last year, in those four plays, before the Achilles blew, I thought something doesn't look right.  Game one against 'frisco, I thought, we'll he's not anywhere close to as nimble as he used to be.  Game two, I thought, maybe a bit better, but clearly, he's very limited.

Last night, I thought:  Where did this come from?  He looks like he did half a decade ago.

Maybe civilians don't understand the psychology and physiology of football at the pro level as well as we think we do.  Some weird concoction of confidence, physical readiness, and maybe plain old drive/desire.   

Maybe Aaron Rodgers is playing a form of 4D chess we don't grasp.

Whatever it is, I hope he keeps doing it, because it's great.

I think he will continue to gain confidence in that (skinny) calf and play like he always has. The first week was definitely doubt.