Smith to start?

Maynardrules#13

If Smith starts at SS, that will be 3 years in a row w/ a rookie starting at safety. I'm not opposed as long as Smith is being played to his strengths which are bringing a physical presence and being in the right place.

I also think if he does start, Rhodes will absolutely have to start next to him to provide deep ball help. Now Rhodes should start regardless as he had a decent year last season and has the speed/size/athleticism to develop into an all pro...but w/ this new regime you never know. All I can say is, he belongs on the football field, especially w/ Smith.

Supposedly Mangini isn't a big fan of Coleman so that spot is up for grabs. Rhodes should be fine though.

If that is true then I have to seriously question Mangini's thinking. Coleman is a good young player and very underrated. Did you see him in the Chargers game in the playoffs a couple years ago? The guy can definitely play.

Coleman was exposed last year and could lose his starting job. Smith is the type of cerebral player that Mangini needs to lead the defensive secondary - alot of people affiliated with Mich State program called him the glue that held the defense together - the guy literally knows every player's position and responsibilities on every defensive play. Could be a very surprising addition to the team (note I called this player my surprise for the year in my "you make the call" post)

Archived