Vilma and the 3-4

Maxman

From Cimini:

Vilma's all for Jets' new 3-4

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

39-vilma_jonathan.JPGJonathan Vilma 451-ferguson_water.JPGD'Brickashaw Ferguson keeps cool at Jets camp. Bob Sutton barely had time to settle into his office as the Jets' new defensive coordinator in January when he received a call from Jonathan Vilma, craving information.

The gifted linebacker wanted to get a jump on learning the new defensive scheme, so he asked Sutton to send a playbook, tapes, DVDs, anything to his home in Florida.

"Just so I knew what I was getting into," Vilma said yesterday at Hofstra.

What he's getting into is one of the most compelling story lines facing the Jets in 2006. Vilma is making the transition from middle linebacker in a 4-3 system - the scheme he grew up in - to one of two inside linebackers in the 3-4.

There is legitimate concern about whether Vilma, undersized for the 3-4 at 6-1 and 230 pounds, can generate the same production. The former first-round pick, who led the NFL in tackles last season, is determined to show that talent is talent, regardless of how the X's and O's line up.

"I take it as a personal challenge to go out there and excel in this system as well," he said. "Then, there's nothing I can't do. ... If you can get to the ball, you can make plays. That's what I plan to do."

Vilma, fast and instinctive, was born to play middle linebacker. With two defensive tackles tying up blockers and acting as his bodyguards, he had the room to run laterally and make plays from sideline to sideline.

Playing middle linebacker in 2004, Vilma was named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year. He followed that up with another strong season, playing in the Pro Bowl as an alternate.

Teammate Ray Mickens gave Vilma the best compliment a middle linebacker can receive, saying yesterday, "Seeing Ray Lewis play, you sort of see the second coming of him through Vilma."

But now life is different for Vilma.

In the 3-4, Vilma doesn't have as much protection from the big bodies up front, meaning he will be blocked more often by 320-pound guards. That could be a rather unpleasant experience for a linebacker who relies on speed, but the Jets aren't concerned.

"He has a very good sense of where the ball is going and how the plays are going to unfold," said coach Eric Mangini, a proponent of the 3-4. "That would apply to whatever system he's playing in."

Everybody has an opinion. One opposing head coach, speaking on the condition of anonymity, questioned whether Vilma can succeed in a 3-4. But an opposing general manager disagreed, saying, "He's a good player. Mangini is smart and he'll find a way to use him."

Vilma is smart, too. Upon receiving his materials from Sutton, his linebacker coach the last two seasons, Vilma made it a habit to study at least 30 minutes a day during the offseason. He didn't take notes; he used visualization techniques.

"I'd watch it, visualize it and replay it in my mind when I'm on the field," he said.

Not surprisingly, Vilma studied tapes of Patriots inside linebacker Tedy Bruschi (6-1, 247), who played under Mangini. Bruschi made the transition to a 3-4, although he is a little bulkier than Vilma.

Conversely, there's Lewis, whom Vilma grew up idolizing. Lewis, another natural middle linebacker, complained loudly when the Ravens switched to a 3-4, claiming it inhibited his playmaking ability. "Ray was 10-plus years in a 4-3 system," Vilma said. "It's kind of hard to change." Now it's up to Vilma to make a similar adjustment. The overall performance of the defense could be riding on the outcome.

It will be very important for Mangini and Sutton to keep this high energy leader of the defense in the game making plays. He starts getting demoralized there are not really many other vocal leaders on the D that can step up

Zack Thomas moved to the 3-4 last year and had a pro-bowl year.

So will Vilma.

BZ

You guys and all the Jets players going to the Pro Bowl.:eek:

If the Jets don't find a pure NT, then Vilma and the 3-4 defense will fail miserably.

You heard it here first.

You guys and all the Jets players going to the Pro Bowl.:eek:

If the Jets don't find a pure NT, then Vilma and the 3-4 defense will fail miserably.

You heard it here first.

Sorry, I only have Vilma and Dyson going to the pro-bowl. Vilma went last year, and I think Dyson is going to stand out big time.

BZ

It will be very important for Mangini and Sutton to keep this high energy leader of the defense in the game making plays. He starts getting demoralized there are not really many other vocal leaders on the D that can step up

I have absolutely zero respect for players like Lewis who bitch and moan when the coach tells them to do something. I hope Vilma has more character than that.

You don't like the system? too bad. You're not the coach.

Don't like the position you're asked to play? not your decision. You're not the coach.

Think the tactics/system/position will hamper your stats? This is about the team, not about you. And you're still not the coach.

Football is a team sport. That means you do whatever you can to help the team. So shut the hell up and and do what the coach says. And like it, dammit!:whip:

I have absolutely zero respect for players like Lewis who bitch and moan when the coach tells them to do something. I hope Vilma has more character than that.

You don't like the system? too bad. You're not the coach.

Don't like the position you're asked to play? not your decision. You're not the coach.

Think the tactics/system/position will hamper your stats? This is about the team, not about you. And you're still not the coach.

Football is a team sport. That means you do whatever you can to help the team. So shut the hell up and and do what the coach says. And like it, dammit!:whip:

I agree, but I also have absolutely zero respect for "system" coaches that don't adapt their game plans and formations around the strengths of the players they have.

Yes and no. If you're going to change the system before you have all the personnel in place, do it while you're rebuilding, which we are. At least when you put the last pieces in over the next year or two, you'll have a core of the team that's been playing in the system for a while now.

Yes and no. If you're going to change the system before you have all the personnel in place, do it while you're rebuilding, which we are. At least when you put the last pieces in over the next year or two, you'll have a core of the team that's been playing in the system for a while now.

I agree that the time to change personel to match your "system" is when you are rebuilding. Thing is no team is at rock bottom anymore. We are close, but still have some nice pieces. It bugs me when superbrains like Parcells trade Hugh Douglass for nothing because he was too small to be a "Parcells end." Then he spends the rest of his time here crying because he can't find a premier pass rusher.

Or that last idiot gets rid of 2 very solid corners (a good one and a great one), paying the price of an up and coming OG for the privilege of giving them away. Why? Because they were cover corners and not suited to run support. So what? Adapt. The CBs had to support the run and the LBs had to drop in coverage. Mo and Marvin were what 260? 280? Neither was a cover guy. They would eat up the run. I don't think they both got old so fast as the system was designed for completely different players, went away from their strengths and exposed their weaknesses.

Off a 4-12 season you can install your system. From 9-7 you'd better be adapting what you have.

Sorry, but I think Vilma will struggle this year. As Tx stated (damn I hate it when he's right) the Jets don't have a true Nose Tackle. Ellis will still be good, as will some of the LBs, but I see Vilma struggling and predict teams will run right at him with his size. I do think the secondary will be much improved. Especially Rhodes. I hear and think he will surprise alot of people this year. Dyson appears to be solid and Miller is progressing nicely. Plus Mangini worked wonders with the Pats secondary.

Sorry, but I think Vilma will struggle this year. As Tx stated (damn I hate it when he's right) the Jets don't have a true Nose Tackle. Ellis will still be good, as will some of the LBs, but I see Vilma struggling and predict teams will run right at him with his size. I do think the secondary will be much improved. Especially Rhodes. I hear and think he will surprise alot of people this year. Dyson appears to be solid and Miller is progressing nicely. Plus Mangini worked wonders with the Pats secondary.

You make two great points here.

#1, the NT is absolutely critical to the success of the 3-4 defense.

#2, the Jets secondary will be the strongest unit (even more so than the LB's) of the defense. Mangini will scrap that friggn' cover 2 and go with a pure zone defense, like he did with the Pats.

I look for the secondary to be much more aggressive and take a few chances (you can do this in zone coverage). The two biggest benefactors will be Justin Miller and Rhodes.

I look for both of them to have a great year.

Archived