Why Curtis Martin should retire from football!

The Fat Man

It is obvious his knee is not 100%. He will be held out of camp and then some. He may come back and make a bit of difference during the end of the year. How cruel it may seem, if he is unable to play then you must make room on your roster for those who can physically particpate. That brings us to next year and CM turns 34 years old.

I am a Curtis Martin fan! I always will be. I have collected his cards from rookie at New England, all the way to Jets, and view him as the most underrated RB in the history of the NFL. It is my opinion that he has nothing further to prove and would help his team if he steps aside and retires. Hall of Fame awaits. If he does come back, he will need 2-3 weeks to get in football shape. You simply cannot replace the hitting and "on field" conditions like a game or full contact practice with pads. This puts him at around game 4-5.

We need a starting RB that can give us 1300+ yards per season. I would settle for 1100 if once in a while we can break a run for a TD. I can't remember the last time that happened. Sorry CM, but the future is now!

He will not come back if he can't be guaranteed the large bulk of carries. He'll say he can't pass a conditioning test (right - the one thing I would never take away from Curtis is the ability to pass a conditioning test) & thus avoid the humiliation of a real in-camp competition. Watch & see. In mid-season if there are a couple of injuries & we THEN desperately need a HB, his knee will be miraculously healed suddenly.

It is obvious his knee is not 100%. He will be held out of camp and then some. He may come back and make a bit of difference during the end of the year. How cruel it may seem, if he is unable to play then you must make room on your roster for those who can physically particpate. That brings us to next year and CM turns 34 years old.

I am a Curtis Martin fan! I always will be. I have collected his cards from rookie at New England, all the way to Jets, and view him as the most underrated RB in the history of the NFL. It is my opinion that he has nothing further to prove and would help his team if he steps aside and retires. Hall of Fame awaits. If he does come back, he will need 2-3 weeks to get in football shape. You simply cannot replace the hitting and "on field" conditions like a game or full contact practice with pads. This puts him at around game 4-5.

We need a starting RB that can give us 1300+ yards per season. I would settle for 1100 if once in a while we can break a run for a TD. I can't remember the last time that happened. Sorry CM, but the future is now!

Why should he retire? Who is he hurting? He's on the PUP list, not taking a roster spot. If he retires doesn't he forego the remainder of his contract? Not a smart move. Might even have to return part of his bonus. At least if he's cut he can get an injury settlement.

I hear you about it taking time for him to be ready, but he wasn't hit or in "on field" conditions in the last few camps.

This is the mentality I'd like our team to break out of. We don't NEED an individual getting >1300 yards per season (I'm guessing you specifically mean rushing yds not combined yardage). That is for fantasy football & the chasing of these individual goals is a main reason why Martin had no gas left in the tank for the playoffs. The last 5 superbowl winners have collectively put up exactly ONE player with >1300 rushing yds ('04 Pats' Dillon):

• '05 Steelers: top rusher Willie Parker 1200 yds (but had <1/2 the team's rushes, removing him at the goal line)
  • '03 Pats: top rusher Antowain Smith 640 yds
  • '02 Bucs: top rusher Michael Pittman 740 yds
  • '01 Pats: top rusher Antowain Smith 1160 yds

Clearly, a championship isn't dependant on a team having a 1300+ rusher.

Do you want your team to hoist up a Lomabardi Trophy in February, or someone on the team hoisting up a rushing title trophy in January?

Archived