Coles: "I don't feel goo-I can tell you that"

AFJF

From the Daily News

Coles yet to catch on

to Eric plan

BY DARREN EVERSON

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Laveranues Coles

The Jets' No. 1 receiver doesn't know what his role is. Doesn't know what the new coach thinks of him. Has no idea whether Eric Mangini likes what he sees.

Laveranues Coles is so uncertain of himself in the Jets' new regime, he didn't know what to say yesterday when he was asked how he is feeling.

"Is this one of those questions that I'm supposed to say you're supposed to ask Coach?" he said with a smile.

In some ways, Coles sounds like everyone else. Speaking after the Jets' morning practice yesterday, Coles watched every word he said, careful not to speak out of turn.

He did admit, however, that he is feeling the effects of Mangini's exhausting practices.

"I don't feel good - I can tell you that," Coles said. "I don't know what grounds I can cover with saying certain things, but that's pretty much it. I don't feel great at all."

After an off day Monday, the Jets' morning practice ran two hours and 12 minutes, and the evening session went two hours 28 minutes. Two and a half hours has been the standard length, even during the heat wave last week.

"It's very different," Coles said. "It's nothing like anything I've ever been through, I can tell you that. It's just ...it's camp. ... I wouldn't compare it to boot camp because I've never been, but just hearing some of the stories about camp, it's pretty rough."

In terms of all the skill players in Jets camp, Coles' role should be the most clear. After coming back to the Jets, Coles had only three games with Chad Pennington last season before the quarterback got hurt but still caught 73 passes for 845yards and scored five touchdowns."I don't know how pleased Coach is with how we're doing because he never smiles," said Coles.

Mangini has publicly praised Coles, saying he appreciates that he is a complete receiver, effective in both the passing and running game. Coles smiled when told of the compliment.

"That's the first time I've heard it," he said.

START OVER: As for the preseason opener Friday at Tampa Bay, Mangini continues to decline to name a starter. Even Pennington said he hasn't been told whether he'll start.

At the very least, it appears that it'll be either Pennington or Patrick Ramsey. Pennington started the 11-on-11 team drills in yesterday's morning practice and worked with the first team. Ramsey got the second-most reps, then was the lead quarterback in the evening session. Brooks Bollinger worked with the second team in the second practice.

OUT: DT Sione Pouha (knee) will undergo surgery in the next two days. He will likely miss the rest of the season. ... The Jets waived rookie WR Deqawn Mobley.... The Jets' press notes contained no hints about their depth chart, as all of the players were listed in alphabetical order.

The Jets' press notes contained no hints about their depth chart, as all of the players were listed in alphabetical order.

The Jets have no posted depth chart for any positions so far so the games will decide this-let the actions on the field determine it.

"It's very different," Coles said. "It's nothing like anything I've ever been through, I can tell you that. It's just ...it's camp. ... I wouldn't compare it to boot camp because I've never been, but just hearing some of the stories about camp, it's pretty rough."

What a friggn' sissy.:baby:

And I thought DFat would have been the first to complain about Mangini's practices.

welcome back brutha....

i dont blame him for complaining...compared to last years romperroom camps, i'd complain too..lol

What a friggn' sissy.:baby:

And I thought DFat would have been the first to complain about Mangini's practices.

Archived