Yankees Scored ... Stole One

Green Jets & Ham

When you pluck a 24 Year old kid who throws 97 MPH off the waiver wire, you can easily hit the Jackpot ... and that certainly appears to be what went down on this one

This is not Aaron Small or Shawn Chacon, Journeyman vets having career years ... this is a kid who could just hitting his stride, and he could be a dominant reliever for a long time to come

NY TIMES

By TYLER KEPNER

September 22, 2006

The first inning Brian Bruney pitched for the Yankees, he struck out the side. The next night, in a game in which 25 runs scored, he allowed no runs in the heat of a pennant race at Fenway Park.

The third day, Bruney was on a plane to Ohio for a Class AAA game against the Toledo Mud Hens. He was not bitter at all. He saw an opportunity.

It was a procedural move, nothing more. The Yankees were in the midst of a five-game series in Boston and needed a fresh arm. Bruney had minor league options, so he was briefly returned to the Yankees’ Columbus farm team.

Major leaguers have 72 hours to report to a minor league affiliate. Bruney flew out that day. He hoped it would make an impression.

“I think they saw right there that I had good character,” Bruney said. “I wanted to get down there as fast as I could and get back as fast as I could. I’m very excited to be here, and hopefully, I’ll be here for a while.”

Bruney seems certain to be with the Yankees through October, and improbably, he could be asked to get important outs. Manager Joe Torre, who admitted he knew nothing about Bruney when the Yankees called him up, has relied heavily on him.

In 15 games, Bruney has an 0.53 earned run average with 24 strikeouts in 17 innings. His presence has helped Torre rest Kyle Farnsworth and Scott Proctor and has given the Yankees a third right-hander who throws 97 miles an hour.

Torre likes Bruney for the quality of his stuff and what he called a “bulldog approach.” Bruney seems just as concerned with how people view him off the mound. He is 24 years old with a blazing fastball, yet he was released by the Arizona Diamondbacks in May. It is natural to wonder if he brought it on himself.

“I think it’s a big misconception everyone has, because you don’t release a 24-year-old who throws hard like I do,” Bruney said. “I don’t know how many times I’ve gotten that question, even from teammates: ‘What did you do to get released?’ If I did something, I don’t know. I’m not ashamed of anything I’ve ever done in my life.”

Bruney has a thick, black tattoo of a Maltese cross on his left forearm, which he said symbolized strength, honor and integrity. In Arizona, he said he tried to follow the off-field example of the veteran first baseman Tony Clark, who is considered one of baseball’s classiest players.

“Bru is an outstanding young man,” Clark said in an e-mail message. “It’s been exciting for me to see him doing so well. I was disappointed to see him go, but knew the possibility of him settling in and having a great deal of success was definitely within reach.”

Bruney pitched in 77 games for the Diamondbacks in 2004 and 2005, with a 6.17 E.R.A. He had more strikeouts than innings pitched, but nearly as many walks. The Diamondbacks hired a new general manager and a new pitching coach last winter, and Bruney did not make the team in spring training.

In May, he was battling an elbow strain at Class AAA Tucson. The Diamondbacks needed a spot for a veteran pitcher, Kevin Jarvis, and they had to drop someone from their 40-man roster.

Arizona might have the deepest farm system in the majors, loaded with hard-throwing right-handers, and Bruney did not fit in their long-term plans.

“It’s the nature of where our organization is,” General Manager Josh Byrnes said. “Our 41st player is a desirable player. With Bruney, right-handed relief has been an area of strength and inventory. For much of the season, we’ve had no lefties in the bullpen, and our bullpen’s actually been pretty good. But Bruney is obviously a guy who’s had his moments, and it isn’t shocking that he’s doing well.”

Jarvis did not last long with the Diamondbacks, who traded him to Boston on Aug. 31. After his start against the Yankees last week, Jarvis said Bruney never had a chance to prove himself this season.

“He wasn’t healthy when I saw him pitch,” Jarvis said. “Speaking with some teammates who had seen him pitch when he was healthy, they said this is wasn’t the Brian Bruney that they had seen in the past. It was obvious he wasn’t 100 percent.”

Bruney said he was thrilled to be released. He had talked with his agent about requesting a trade, but he got something better: free agency. Billy Eppler, the Yankees’ pro scouting director, implored General Manager Brian Cashman to investigate.

Cashman was intrigued by the suggestion, and its source. When he re-signed with the Yankees last October, Cashman made a point to transfer Eppler from Tampa, Fla., to New York, and gave him a bigger role. Eppler dispatched the scout Andy Stankiewicz, a former Yankees infielder, to watch Bruney work out at a training facility in Arizona.

Bruney’s trainer, Brett Fischer, has also worked with the Yankees’ Randy Johnson and Chien-Ming Wang. Fischer tweaked Bruney’s mechanics, emphasizing proper hip rotation to reduce the stress on Bruney’s elbow.

But generally, Fischer said, Bruney had excellent mechanics and the desire to turn around his career. As a released player with his first child on the way, Bruney had reached a critical point.

“He was real open,” Fischer said. “He knew it was kind of a crossroads for him, even at a young age. When I saw him throw for the first time live, I called his agent and said, ‘This guy’s special.’ To me, it seemed like when he learned how to pitch, he could be lights out. The Yankees got him at the right time.”

Stankiewicz gave Eppler a positive report, and Cashman called Bruney to spell out the Yankees’ plans. He would report to Tampa for three weeks of training with Gil Patterson, a minor league instructor, and then go to Columbus. The Yankees offered a minor league deal in late June, and Bruney eagerly agreed.

“When the Yankees are interested in you, you’d be a fool if you don’t come,” Bruney said.

Patterson said Bruney was diligent about their morning sessions, building back elbow strength and further smoothing his mechanics. But their most important talks concerned the mental side of pitching and the importance of trusting his pitches.

“Before, he might give up a hit or two and have a minimeltdown,” Patterson said. “Now, he can step back and say, ‘Here we go.’ It’s not, ‘Here we go again.’ ”

Patterson, who worked for Arizona when Bruney was drafted, urged Bruney to focus on each pitch and not think too far ahead. But Bruney could not help but set a date in his mind.

He wanted to join the Yankees by Aug. 15. Two days later, he was on the mound at Yankee Stadium. And now there is a strong chance he will be there in the playoffs in less than two weeks.

I was wondering about this guy the other day Ham. I mean, how good can he be? He's been lights out so far and he definitely looks like a steal. But can a player this good just get let go by a team like the D-Backs who need all the help they can get. I'm thrilled with what Bruney has brought to the table so far but I'm trying to keep a level head and see what he does the rest of the way and in to next year. So far though...a steal.

Dunno why a team would get rid of him at all, unless he was out of options.

Well according to the article it was because the D-Backs had a surplus of young right handed power arms. I wonder how many of them would have the type of numbers Bruney has right now though. I guess it can just be chalked up to a scouting error. Apparently they like their other guys more than they liked Bruney. It happens.

Well according to the article it was because the D-Backs had a surplus of young right handed power arms. I wonder how many of them would have the type of numbers Bruney has right now though. I guess it can just be chalked up to a scouting error. Apparently they like their other guys more than they liked Bruney. It happens.

It sounds like Bruney was hurting, pitching at less than 100%, and they never saw the same guy we're seeing now ... they saw the sore arm version of Brian Bruney, not the flame-thrower we're seeing now ... and apparently Gil Paterson took the kid under his wing as well

For those who don't know, Gil Paterson was one of the most talented young phenoms in baseball history ... even guys like Koufax marveled at his ability ... in fact, that's who he was most often compared too, Sandy Koufax ... he used to pitch no-hitters in the minors like it was easy ... but he hurt his arm right before he got called up to the Yankees, and when he got the call he was so excited about making it to the big leagues that he didn't tell anyone his arm was barking, he pitched with a damaged wing, and he completely blew out his arm ... tore it to shreds ... and he was never the same again

There are old-timers till this day, All-Time Greats, that insist Gil Paterson was the most talented pitcher they ever saw ... I believe Koufax is one of them ... I seem to recall Koufax saying that as well

It does seem that Arizona has a boatload of talent in their farm System. I went through their Minor League rosters, and while I know very little personally about the players, the stats do add up, especially when adjusted for league averages (some of those parks are tremendous hitter's areas. Bubba Crosby anyone??)

Arizona has a surplus of hard throwing righty pitchers. Both starters and reliefers. Many throw at 94+ or higher. And quite a few are averaging a K per inning. The only reason Bruney might have fallen off the radar there was that he was hurt at the time, and he also is older than most of the prospects they have, especially the really good ones in AAA and AA.

So, the Yankees took a chance, and maybe struck GOLD.

It sounds like Bruney was hurting, pitching at less than 100%, and they never saw the same guy we're seeing now ... they saw the sore arm version of Brian Bruney, not the flame-thrower we're seeing now ... and apparently Gil Paterson took the kid under his wing as well

For those who don't know, Gil Paterson was one of the most talented young phenoms in baseball history ... even guys like Koufax marveled at his ability ... in fact, that's who he was most often compared too, Sandy Koufax ... he used to pitch no-hitters in the minors like it was easy ... but he hurt his arm right before he got called up to the Yankees, and when he got the call he was so excited about making it to the big leagues that he didn't tell anyone his arm was barking, he pitched with a damaged wing, and he completely blew out his arm ... tore it to shreds ... and he was never the same again

There are old-timers till this day, All-Time Greats, that insist Gil Paterson was the most talented pitcher they ever saw ... I believe Koufax is one of them ... I seem to recall Koufax saying that as well

I remember Patterson. Ii was frustrated in the fact he was so good in the Minors, yet could not come close to it in the Majors. Then he blew out his arm. And that was the end.

I do believe that Koufax was one of those who thought Patterson was going to be an all-time great. So did Whitey Ford.

Bruney was let go by the DBacks because as MBN007 mentioned they have one of the best farm systems in MLB and because Bruney simply walks too many guys to be a successful late inning reliever.

Now if the Yanks can resolve the walks issue, they may have a potential gem. Well worth taking a shot.

The Yankees ahve tinkered with his mechanics. His control has improved, He is walking less, and he is not falling behind hitters, 3-1, every time out.

Archived