Isiah rips Greg Anthony

Matt39

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ai1YsBnETo303D7w7EoptN28vLYF?slug=cnnsi-isiahtakesespna&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

NEW YORK -- The surprising play of rookie forward Renaldo Balkman this preseason has Knicks GM/coach Isiah Thomas feeling good. And he's letting ESPN analyst Greg Anthony, a former Knick, hear about it.

Still upset over Anthony's draft night criticism after the Knicks selected the unheralded Balkman with the No. 20 pick, Thomas ripped his fellow former point guard Wednesday.

"This so-called former Knick, on draft night with millions of people watching, had the audacity to take me to task on a player that I'm pretty sure he had never seen before in his life," Thomas said. "But he stands on national television and talks about a kid he has absolutely no idea about. I'm just glad that all of New York doesn't think like Greg Anthony."

Thomas went on to question Anthony's credentials as a TV commentator, and even took a slap at his 12-year NBA playing career.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Greg Anthony should never ever be in a position to question myself on anything about basketball," Thomas said. "I do remember the kind of player he was. I'll leave it at that.

Balkman, a 6-8 forward from South Carolina, has played well during New York's first three exhibition games. He had 11 points and seven boards in 16 minutes against the Nets in his debut, and had nine points, seven rebounds and two steals in 13 minutes in Tuesday night's exhibition win over the Celtics. His hustle and energy even won over the Madison Square Garden crowd, which gave him a rousing ovation as he left the floor.

With Balkman off to a good start, Thomas felt free to vent some of his pent-up anger.

"This is between Greg and I," Thomas said in a lengthy diatribe about Anthony to the media after the Knicks practice. "The things he said on draft night ... after all the good solid work we had done in the draft ... for him to take that position he took ... I thought he was way way way out of bounds."

Thomas , who was booed by the New York crowd and widely panned by other ESPN commentators on draft night, said he was singling out Anthony because of his status as a former Knicks player. He said he hadn't spoken to Anthony, but would love to in the future.

"I just thought he was very unfair to the Knicks organization," Thomas said. "It would be different had he not worn a Knick uniform. But for a guy who claims to have been a Knick, to treat the Knicks the way he treated us that night ... I know a Piston would never do that. A Celtic would never do that. A Laker would never do that. It wouldn't happen. It just goes to show you what we're dealing with."

Thomas went on to refer to Anthony several more times during the remainder of the 15-minute session with reporters, sometimes even on unrelated questions.

When asked whether he could see Balkman someday defending LeBron James or Tracy McGrady, Thomas replied, "Wait a minute, hold on now ... you can run him out there but he'll probably get stepped on a little bit ... Unlike Greg Anthony, I do have respect for others."

When asked about the Knicks' dismal season a year ago, and what role all the injuries played, Thomas said, "We all were in a funk last year ... Greg Anthony was in a funk."

Later, when talking about Balkman's ability to handle the ball, a reporter jokingly asked if he had a better handle than Greg Anthony. "Most definitely," Thomas said. "Greg could only go left."

Attempts to reach Anthony through ESPN were unsuccessful.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ai1YsBnETo303D7w7EoptN28vLYF?slug=cnnsi-isiahtakesespna&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

NEW YORK -- The surprising play of rookie forward Renaldo Balkman this preseason has Knicks GM/coach Isiah Thomas feeling good. And he's letting ESPN analyst Greg Anthony, a former Knick, hear about it.

Still upset over Anthony's draft night criticism after the Knicks selected the unheralded Balkman with the No. 20 pick, Thomas ripped his fellow former point guard Wednesday.

"This so-called former Knick, on draft night with millions of people watching, had the audacity to take me to task on a player that I'm pretty sure he had never seen before in his life," Thomas said. "But he stands on national television and talks about a kid he has absolutely no idea about. I'm just glad that all of New York doesn't think like Greg Anthony."

Thomas went on to question Anthony's credentials as a TV commentator, and even took a slap at his 12-year NBA playing career.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Greg Anthony should never ever be in a position to question myself on anything about basketball," Thomas said. "I do remember the kind of player he was. I'll leave it at that.

Balkman, a 6-8 forward from South Carolina, has played well during New York's first three exhibition games. He had 11 points and seven boards in 16 minutes against the Nets in his debut, and had nine points, seven rebounds and two steals in 13 minutes in Tuesday night's exhibition win over the Celtics. His hustle and energy even won over the Madison Square Garden crowd, which gave him a rousing ovation as he left the floor.

With Balkman off to a good start, Thomas felt free to vent some of his pent-up anger.

"This is between Greg and I," Thomas said in a lengthy diatribe about Anthony to the media after the Knicks practice. "The things he said on draft night ... after all the good solid work we had done in the draft ... for him to take that position he took ... I thought he was way way way out of bounds."

Thomas , who was booed by the New York crowd and widely panned by other ESPN commentators on draft night, said he was singling out Anthony because of his status as a former Knicks player. He said he hadn't spoken to Anthony, but would love to in the future.

"I just thought he was very unfair to the Knicks organization," Thomas said. "It would be different had he not worn a Knick uniform. But for a guy who claims to have been a Knick, to treat the Knicks the way he treated us that night ... I know a Piston would never do that. A Celtic would never do that. A Laker would never do that. It wouldn't happen. It just goes to show you what we're dealing with."

Thomas went on to refer to Anthony several more times during the remainder of the 15-minute session with reporters, sometimes even on unrelated questions.

When asked whether he could see Balkman someday defending LeBron James or Tracy McGrady, Thomas replied, "Wait a minute, hold on now ... you can run him out there but he'll probably get stepped on a little bit ... Unlike Greg Anthony, I do have respect for others."

When asked about the Knicks' dismal season a year ago, and what role all the injuries played, Thomas said, "We all were in a funk last year ... Greg Anthony was in a funk."

Later, when talking about Balkman's ability to handle the ball, a reporter jokingly asked if he had a better handle than Greg Anthony. "Most definitely," Thomas said. "Greg could only go left."

Attempts to reach Anthony through ESPN were unsuccessful.

ISIAH IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF SH IT IN NYC. HE MAKES DOG SH IT LOOK APPETIZING! I HOPE THE TEAM FAILS SO IT CAN RID ITSELF OF OF ISIAH. ISIAH IS THE REASON MORE AND MORE KNICK FANS ARE BECOME NETS FANS.

LL

ISIAH IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF SH IT IN NYC. HE MAKES DOG SH IT LOOK APPETIZING! I HOPE THE TEAM FAILS SO IT CAN RID ITSELF OF OF ISIAH. ISIAH IS THE REASON MORE AND MORE KNICK FANS ARE BECOME NETS FANS.

LL

The team is better of with Isiah rather than Brown. Balkman's going to be a good player as well. Knicks will surprise some people this season.

The team is better of with Isiah rather than Brown. Balkman's going to be a good player as well. Knicks will surprise some people this season.

It won't take much for them to surprise.

Learn how to play defense and stop getting all these high priced piss ant's who can't play for ****.

Marbury is a good player but he doesn't need Steve Francis right next to him. This team would be better off with Crawford starting and Francis gone.

It won't take much for them to surprise.

Learn how to play defense and stop getting all these high priced piss ant's who can't play for ****.

Marbury is a good player but he doesn't need Steve Francis right next to him. This team would be better off with Crawford starting and Francis gone.

I doubt that the Knicks will be much improved this season, but 30-35 wins is not out of reach. I wonder if Dolan will consider that an improvement, and keep Isaiah.

My main hope for thsi year is that the contracts of Jalen Rose, and anyone else who is expiring is not traded at the deadline for more contracts. I want to start lowering the payroll, and play the kids. I can hardly wait until 3 years from now, when the contracts of Steph, Francis, both Rose players, and 1 or 2 others, all expire. Not that we will be under the cap, as some of teh kids will be extended, but we will be a lot closer, and maybe even have some first round draft picks.:Cuss:

I doubt that the Knicks will be much improved this season, but 30-35 wins is not out of reach. I wonder if Dolan will consider that an improvement, and keep Isaiah.

My main hope for thsi year is that the contracts of Jalen Rose, and anyone else who is expiring is not traded at the deadline for more contracts. I want to start lowering the payroll, and play the kids. I can hardly wait until 3 years from now, when the contracts of Steph, Francis, both Rose players, and 1 or 2 others, all expire. Not that we will be under the cap, as some of teh kids will be extended, but we will be a lot closer, and maybe even have some first round draft picks.:Cuss:

Kevin Garnett has an opt out of his contract with Minnesota after this season. That team is going nowhere. T-Wolves will be forced to trade Garnett by the deadline in February or face losing a top 5 player for nothing. Knicks can offer the expiring contract of Jalen Rose along with Channing Frye and David Lee for Garnett. Would be an amazing move if it happened.

Knicks will win between 30-35 games this year. Will that be enough for Isiah to keep his job? Probably not but with Dolan's track record of hiring bums like Thomas and Layden I tremble with fear about which idiot he will hire next to further wreck this team.

Isiah is a bozo. Greg Anthony was a Knick for 4 freaking seasons.

Isiah makes it sound like we put Anthony's number up in the rafters.

I have lost track of what Isiah is attempting to do with this team he has turned the roster over so often.

While I cannot stomach todays NBA, from what I have seen of the Knicks I agree with Matt in that Curry can be a monster and change the Knicks fortunes.

We haven't seen anything to expect that big season and Bulls fans know as well as anyone that he has poor work habits. but the potential is there though and you can't teach size.

Archived