Sunday's Jets News

SoFlaJets

Jets hope to give Vikings run for their money

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

MINNEAPOLIS - If the Jets had to play the Vikings, coach Eric Mangini thinks it's better to do it near the end of the season.

It just gave him and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer more game film to study in an effort to figure out some way to run against Minnesota.

"It's a research project where you're analyzing what has worked, why it has worked, what was the runner like, what defenses were they in," Mangini said. "It's not necessarily one thing where you can say, 'This is the answer.' It's more looking at a lot of different answers over the course of the season and trying to find out the best answer for you."

The Jets (7-6) need a solution as badly as they need to beat the Vikings (6-7) today at the Metrodome to keep their slim playoff hopes alive.

The Vikings lead the NFL in run defense, averaging 54.1 yards per game. The 1942 Bears hold the NFL record at 47.2 yards per game.

"The respect they have is definitely across the league," Jets rookie running back Leon Washington said. "You can focus on that. At the same time, you focus on things we need to do to get ourselves a win. You can run on these guys - with the attitude and execution, I think you can run on any team in the NFL."

Still, only two teams have rushed for more than 100 yards against the Vikings, and that was in the first two weeks of the season. Since then, the Vikings have held eight teams to 53 yards or less.

"Fifty-four yards a game is just ridiculous," Jets quarterback Chad Pennington said. "Their gap penetration is superb, starting with their defensive line. They're very physical and they're very aggressive and they take the punch to you."

The Lions have gained a total of 13 yards in two games against the Vikings, including minus-3 in Minnesota's 30-20 victory last week. The numbers are such that many teams just abandon the run.

The Dolphins beat Minnesota 24-20 rushing 13 times for 7 yards. The Vikings beat the Cardinals 31-26 as Arizona rushed six times for 17 yards. And the Patriots beat Minnesota 31-7 by rushing 15 times for 85 yards and Tom Brady passed for 372 yards.

"I don't think that's something we would do," Jets wide receiver Laveranues Coles said. "I don't think we would turn ourselves into a one-dimensional team. I think you still have to try to run the ball and see if they would take it away. I think that's something that, as a team, we will try and do, just go out and try and play our game."

The secret to the Vikings' success starts with their interior linemen - Pro Bowler Kevin Williams (62 tackles, five sacks, 39 quarterback hurries) and Pat Williams (49 tackles, one sack, 10 quarterback hurries).

And the Vikings not only bring their linebackers tight to the line but often commit their secondary to stopping the run as well.

Linebacker E.J. Henderson leads the Vikings with 108 tackles, but free safety Dwight Smith is next with 73, cornerback Antoine Winfield is third with 70 and strong safety Darren Sharper is fourth with 68.

"Those guys have done a great job with their gap-control defense," said Vikings coach Brad Childress, like Mangini in his first season. "We talk about those two inside guys, but you don't do anything without the whole 11. I just think they've done a nice job playing responsibility defense."

Yet for all their defensive prowess, the Vikings have been far from unbeatable. Last week's win snapped a skid in which Minnesota had lost five of six.

So there obviously has to be some way for the Jets to win. Or perhaps multiple ways as Mangini and Schottenheimer review the Vikings' 12 previous games. Yet it's a bad matchup on paper since the Jets are 17th in the NFL in rushing, averaging 112.3 yards per game.

"They're pretty intent on stopping the run this year," Jets running back Cedric Houston said. "Coach Schottenheimer is a great offensive coordinator. Whatever they put in for us to take advantage of the defense this week, we're going to try to run to the best of our ability."

The alternative is pretty bleak for the Jets: a seventh loss and virtual elimination from the AFC wild-card chase.

Reach Andrew Gross at agross@lohud.com and read his Jets blog at www.lohud.com/blogs

Great read SFJ..thanks

You know..after reading this..Mangini has not done a flea flicker all year..and since Minnesota commits it's secondary to the run..I wouldn't be surprised to see Houston or Washington pitch it back to Pennington for a bomb to either Cotch or Coles for a big play..

Great read SFJ..thanks

You know..after reading this..Mangini has not done a flea flicker all year..and since Minnesota commits it's secondary to the run..I wouldn't be surprised to see Houston or Washington pitch it back to Pennington for a bomb to either Cotch or Coles for a big play..

that might work...except have either houston or washington throw the ball down field...they have a better chance at doing that than our quarterback does.

Vilma sacks claim 3-4 scheme isn't for him

Friday, December 15, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Following last Sunday's 31-13 loss to Buffalo, Bills left tackle Jason Peters echoed the sentiments of the media by saying Jets inside linebacker Jonathan Vilma and the 3-4 defensive scheme are a bad marriage.

Vilma, who has struggled making the adjustment from the 4-3, was credited with just one tackle against the Bills.

"I got up on him a couple of times," Peters told Jets Confidential The Magazine. "He doesn't like it when somebody gets up on him and blocks him. He's more of a sideline-to-sideline, fill-the-gap type of guy. He's more of a 4-3 guy. The 3-4, I don't know. It's going to be hard for him to make plays in the 3-4."

Ouch.

"That's fine if he thinks that," Vilma said yesterday. "The coaches say I'm playing well in it (the 3-4 defense). I think I'm doing fine in it. I'm not really worried about what he thinks. So, cool, I guess. To each his own."

Peters, at 6-4, 340 pounds, outweighs Vilma by at least 110 pounds. Vilma disputes the fact he only had one tackle. Buffalo rushed for 174 yards on 34 carries.

"I had more tackles than that," said Vilma, who has 97 tackles, no sacks, one fumble recovery and an interception this season. "I played a good game. I graded out well. Coach said I played well. So I'm fine."

K Mike Nugent, who has hit a career-best nine straight field goals and 14 of his past 15, including a career-best 54-yarder, has rebounded nicely after a slow start.

Nugent, a second-round pick (47th overall) in 2005, started his streak after missing an extra point and two field goals (30 and 34 yards) in the opener vs. the Titans.

Since then, he only has missed a 52-yarder against the Browns in Week 8.

PICKS-UP ARTIST

PENNINGTON CAN'T MAKE TOO MINNY MISTAKES

By MARK CANNIZZARO

CHAD PENNINGTON

December 15, 2006 -- Here's a prediction that you can carry to the bank and cash in when the business day begins Monday morning: If Chad Pennington plays poorly, the Jets will lose to the Vikings on Sunday in the Metrodome.

As Pennington goes so go the Jets.

In the Jets' seven wins this season, Pennington has been intercepted just four times. In their six losses, he's been picked off 11 times, including twice in last Sunday's loss to the Bills, against whom he also lost a fumble.

For the season, Pennington has thrown a career-high 15 interceptions, a bright red flag for a player whose success has been heavily predicated on making fewer mistakes than the next guy.

As the 7-6 Jets, who cannot lose a single one of their final three regular-season games and realistically make it into the playoffs, enter Sunday's game, the pressure probably falls on the shoulders of Pennington even more intensely than on any other Sunday.

The 6-7 Vikings, quite simply, have a defense that cannot be run on with any consistency. Making matters even more complicated, the Jets have a spotty rushing attack with no true No. 1 back.

When the Vikings have been beaten this season, they've been defeated through the air. The Patriots, who had the most success against the Minnesota defense, won 31-7 by spreading the field. Tom Brady threw 43 times for 372 yards and four TDs.

That puts the onus on Pennington. It means he cannot turn the ball over.

"In this league, turnovers lead to the demise of your offense," Pennington said. "That's something that I need to improve on, something that in the past that I've been relatively good at, and this year I haven't done a good job of that.

"I definitely need to protect the football at all costs. Even when our offense isn't being as productive as we would like for it to be, you still have to take care of the football and make sure at the end of the game you have a chance to win."

With his start Sunday, Pennington will tie his season career high of 13 starts, accomplished in 2004. He threw 16 TDs and had nine INTs that year. He entered this season with an outstanding career ratio of 55 to 30.

This season, he has an un-Pennington-like 14 TDs and 15 INTs.

"I think there are multiple reasons. One could be getting used to the new system," Pennington said of his increase in picks. "Another could be forcing some throws. Another could be just mere circumstance of a tipped ball or something like that, a high throw here or there.

"With all that said, I have to concentrate on what I can control, and that is decision-making, being more consistent in decision-making, making sure that if I don't make the perfect decision, let's not make the worst decision to put my team in a bad spot.

"In the first three quarters, you can't win the game, but as a quarterback you can cause your team to lose the game because of turnovers and inconsistent play. That's where I have to be better."

Vikings' coach Brad Childress was asked if he views Pennington as a more "mistake-prone" quarterback than he's been in the past.

"I probably see him as just the opposite," Childress said. "He's not afraid to take risks. He's a timing thrower. He's very smart. He's orchestrating that offense at the line of scrimmage. You have to know where all the keys on the piano are in order to do that, whether its protection or routes or what have you.

"I don't see him as a mistake-prone guy at all. I see him as a consummate pro. Obviously, he's battled back from [two shoulder injuries], but I don't see any ill effects from that."

Pennington's teammates are behind him with full confidence.

"Unfortunately, when we don't play good offensive football, it falls on Chad to try to win the game," Jets' LG Pete Kendall said.

"Chad can't win the game on his own," Jets' WR Laveranues Coles said. "And that means he can't lose the game on his own."

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Wright time,

right place for Jet

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Before heading to New York last spring for a tryout at the Jets' rookie camp, Wallace Wright bumped into a former college teammate-turned-Super Bowl hero at a McDonald's in Durham, N.C.

Wright received a few McNuggets of wisdom from Steelers tailback Willie Parker, who blazed the trail he was hoping to follow. Like Wright, Parker was an unhappy backup at North Carolina who didn't get drafted. Undaunted, he made the Steelers' roster as a free agent and became a cog in last season's Super Bowl run.

Parker's message to Wright: If I can defy the odds, you can, too.

Wright has become the Jets' version of "Rudy." He landed a contract at the rookie audition, played well enough in training camp to earn a spot on the practice squad and, after 11 games of waiting and wishing, he was promoted to the active roster two weeks ago when wide receiver Tim Dwight (foot surgery) went down for the season.

Wright's breakout moment occurred in last week's loss to the Bills, when he made an open-field tackle on dangerous punt returner Roscoe Parrish. Wright hopes to get another opportunity Sunday at the Metrodome, where the Jets face the Vikings in a virtual must-win for both teams.

No matter what happens over the final three games, Wright has exceeded expectations. That he made it to training camp was an accomplishment. To get this far, "It's definitely an amazing story," he said. "Words can't describe how it feels to be here right now."

If he's speechless, imagine how his former North Carolina coaches feel.

They never thought Wright was good enough to be a starter, so he spent four years as a kickoff returner and backup wide receiver. He finished his career with only 24 receptions. This was the same coaching staff, headed by the recently fired John Bunting, that never made Parker a full-time starter.

"A lot of politics," said Wright, who initially made the Tar Heels' team as a freshman walk-on.

His pro stock took a big hit last November, when he fractured his leg. When the NFL scouts came around in the spring to time the seniors, Wright, still feeling the effects of the injury, ran a disappointing 4.5 seconds in the 40. His usual time was 4.38, he said.

Around draft time, Wright got the double whammy: No one picked him and no one offered a free-agent contract. The Jets promised a look, no guarantees.

"I've always liked the idea of giving people opportunities that may have been overlooked," Eric Mangini said.

He mentioned Chargers All-Pro tight end Antonio Gates as a prime example, adding, "How many people wish they had answered that call?"

Despite his skimpy college resume, Wright was determined to become the second athlete in his family to play pro ball. (His father, Wallace, Sr., was a career minor leaguer in the Expos' organization.) His chance meeting with Parker only steeled his resolve.

"He gave me words of encouragement, like, 'Don't let anything stop you,'" Wright said. "He knows the situations are similar between me and him. He was like, 'Just look at me.'"

What makes Wright's story even more remarkable is that he's playing both ways. He has practiced most of the season at defensive back, noting that Mangini "wants me to be a Troy Brown type of guy" - a reference to the Patriots' wide receiver/occasional cornerback.

In the locker room, Wright's stall is between those belonging to Chad Pennington and Shaun Ellis. Yep, he's come a long way. It's a super-sized dream come true.

TAYLOR-MADE: Vikings RB Chester Taylor, who missed last week's game with a rib injury, expects to play. The Vikings list him as questionable. ...WR Laveranues Coles, who often complains about Mangini's tough regimen, was asked on a Minnesota conference call if Mangini was a good hire. Said Coles: "What I think really doesn't matter." ...Rookie LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who allowed three sacks last week, is tired of talking about his poor performance. "I'm not harping on it," he said. "It's over." ...Mangini and owner Woody Johnson spoke glowingly of late Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt, founder of the old AFL. "Without Lamar Hunt," Johnson said, "there would not be a New York Jets franchise."

Wright as usual

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

December 15, 2006

Rookie Wallace Wright has come out of nowhere to be part of the Jets active roster the last two weeks and made his first special teams tackle on Sunday against the Bills. But that's just the kind of ascension Wright is used to making.

He was a walk-on in college at North Carolina, eventually earning a scholarship but starting only one game in his career -- on Senior Day. He was a walk-on in the NFL, too (though the proper term is unsigned rookie free agent). He impressed the Jets enough during a tryout that they signed him to the squad for training camp, then kept him with the practice unit for most of the season.

"I've always really liked the idea of giving people opportunities that may have been overlooked," Jets coach Eric Mangini said, adding that assistant director of player personnel JoJo Wooden coordinated the players at the tryout.

Wright is listed as a wide receiver, the position he played at North Carolina, but after playing defensive back on the practice squad he could be used on either side of the ball in a pinch. He practices as a receiver now, though he seems destined to run under punts and make tackles -- he was a special teams captain at North Carolina -- which is fine for him.

"It's a dream come true," he said. "Words can't describe how happy I am to be here."

Mourning Hunt

The Jets took some time yesterday to remember Lamar Hunt, the owner of the Chiefs who died on Wednesday night.

Jets owner Woody Johnson noted Hunt's contributions in a statement: "In creating the AFL, he likely did more to change the NFL over the last half century than any other single person. Without Lamar Hunt there would be no Super Bowl, a term he originally coined, and there would not be a New York Jets franchise."

Jet stream

Mangini said quarterback Chad Pennington joked that the Jets were preparing in case the roof at the Metrodome leaks on Sunday as the team spent part of its practice in the rain on Wednesday,

Trading benches

Bollinger, Mosley seeing little playing time for new clubs

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

December 15, 2006

When the Jets traded quarterback Brooks Bollinger to the Vikings for defensive lineman C.J. Mosley, a rare player-for-player deal in the NFL, each team figured to be trimming some dead branches.

Bollinger, who started nine games in 2005 when injuries crippled the Jets, was the fourth man in a four-man open quarterback competition in training camp. With tackles Pat Williams and Kevin Williams forging one of the toughest run defenses in NFL history, Mosley, a second-year player, was doomed to a superfluous role.

While the trade allowed each team to chop extraneous parts, it was also supposed to fill a need on each squad and give each player a fresh start. So far, the additions have not lived up to the subtractions.

Bollinger and Mosley may have swapped helmet logos, but their lot as backups has not changed. New surroundings couldn't get these guys far off the bench, though each is starting to emerge in his new system.

"The last two to three weeks, C.J. has really made a case. It was heard. He was given the opportunity," Jets coach Eric Mangini said of giving the 315-pound tackle his first significant playing time of the season on Sunday against the Bills. Mosley had been active for only one other game this season, but his four tackles and an assist against the Bills were the most among defensive linemen.

"He finally got his shot and produced pretty well," Mangini said.

Mosley joked that he had never even heard of a 3-4 defense before arriving at the Jets. He wasn't joking when he said he'd never played in such a system, and changing his techniques and instincts to adapt to the scheme took some time. And some coaching. A lot of coaching.

"I just knew I had to let myself be open to all of the criticism in order to help me learn," he said. "I was getting fingers pointed [at me] from everywhere."

Mosley said playing in the games has made him feel more a part of the team - even though his two appearances have come in the team's worst games of the season, the 41-0 loss at Jacksonville and Sunday's 31-13 Bills loss.

"I thought I was going to get the opportunity to play a lot earlier," he said, "but it takes time."

Nose tackle is a position the Jets will need to address during the offseason. While starter Dewayne Robertson has grown more comfortable in the position, he is probably more suited to a defensive end spot in the Jets' scheme. Rashad Moore has been Robertson's backup most of the season along with Bobby Hamilton. None has the girth the Vikings have up front with the Williams Boys.

As for Bollinger, he has appeared in two games for the Vikings, spraining his left shoulder when he replaced an ineffective Brad Johnson two weeks ago. The injury likely cost Bollinger a chance to become the starter.

As for facing the Jets on Sunday, Bollinger said it would have been fun to play against them (which is unlikely as he is listed as questionable on the injury report and was the emergency third quarterback for the Vikings last week), but it will be nice to see some old teammates who went poof! when the trade was completed. "I mean, I left work one day and that was the last time I saw them," Bollinger said.

As for his tenure with the Jets - and particularly his experience in the four-man competition during training camp - Bollinger said he holds no hard feelings.

"Chad [Pennington] separated himself," Bollinger said. "Who knows if behind the scene I was out before the competition started or what, but I can only control what I can control and I don't think I played as well as I could have with the reps that I had in practice."

That fresh start for each player has yet to be realized. But there is still time this season and beyond.

"Each guy is a little different," Mangini said. "Some guys you see and hear a little earlier on. Some guys a little later. I don't think there's necessarily one path to getting the opportunity."

Sunday

Jets at Minnesota

1 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2

Radio: WABC (770), WEPN (1050), WRCN (103.9)

BIG IMPACT

The Vikings enticed Antoine Winfield from the Jets with a larger contract offer, and the cornerback has become one of the most valuable players on the NFL's fourth-ranked defense.

BY SEAN JENSEN

Pioneer Press

One of the roots of the Vikings' top-five ranked defense can be traced to March 5, 2004, in Hempstead, N.Y.

That evening, the Vikings called an audible to an all-out blitz when they learned that cornerback Antoine Winfield, one of the NFL's most coveted unrestricted free agents, agreed to parameters of a six-year, $30 million deal with the New York Jets.

Vikings coach Mike Tice and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski, who had been pursuing Winfield, emptied their playbook and enticed him with their only remaining option: money.

By tacking on $800,000 to the $10 million guaranteed bonus the Jets were offering and adding $5 million more in base salaries, the Vikings persuaded Winfield to board a plane bound for the Twin Cities instead of a limousine bound for dinner with Jets coach Herm Edwards at a swanky New York-area restaurant, where the cornerback was expected to sign his contract.

"I couldn't turn that down," Winfield said of the extra money. "If (the Jets) would have had a contract ready (earlier), I would definitely have been a Jet."

Although he is the Vikings' smallest player, the 5-foot-9, 180-pound Winfield is a giant reason the Vikings' defense has jumped from 28th in the NFL rankings in 2004 to fourth with three games remaining this season.

"He's a big reason we're playing so well right now," Pro Bowl defensive tackle Kevin Williams said. "When we're clogging it up and people bounce it his way, he's stopping people in their tracks, and he pretty much shuts down his part of the field. I wouldn't want him to be on any other team."

There has been significant turnover at Jets headquarters since March 2004. Edwards is now with the Kansas City Chiefs, and then-general manager Terry Bradway was demoted to director of player personnel. The roster also is dramatically different, and two of the Jets at the time don't even recall Winfield spurning their club.

"I don't remember it," said Vikings quarterback Brooks Bollinger, who played for the Jets from 2003 to 2005. "But I wasn't in the loop."

Added Jets defensive end Bryan Thomas, "I don't remember. What happened?"

Jets officials don't need a refresher. They ended up trading for receiver Justin McCareins later that day and signing cornerback David Barrett. Neither player has had the impact of Winfield in Minnesota.

While the Vikings' defense has improved, the Jets have fallen from seventh in 2004 to 27th this season.

Interview requests for Bradway and Mike Tannenbaum, a longtime Jets front-office executive who was promoted to general manager in February, were declined this week.

"The Jets will respectfully pass on commenting," a team spokesman said.

When Winfield signed with the Vikings, however, the Jets released a short statement that said they respected Winfield's decision to "take advantage of the process."

Winfield has no regrets.

"It was real important," Winfield said of the extra money. "What you want to do, especially on your second deal, you want to be set. This thing doesn't last forever. That window is not that wide open."

Winfield said he was encouraged to sign by quarterback Daunte Culpepper, receiver Randy Moss and defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, who served in the same position when Winfield was with the Buffalo Bills.

All of them are gone from the Vikings.

Still, Winfield said he and his family have enjoyed their time in the Twin Cities.

"It's a good area, especially to raise a family," Winfield said. "Good schools for my kids. Good neighborhoods. I've definitely benefited coming to Minnesota.

"I'm happy with the decision I've made."

Asked if he ever thinks about what might have been, Winfield said, "Once I got here and I signed, that Jets thing was long out of my mind.

"That's ancient history."

Winfield plays a vital role with the Vikings, despite his size and position.

"Just to really know you got that rock over there is really comforting," Vikings linebacker E.J. Henderson said of Winfield. "If you look back on it, I don't see us being remotely close to where we're at without 'Toine."

Henderson said when the defense reviews games, coaches often rewind Winfield's hits three or four times, including some of his work on special teams.

"We really marvel at it, because it's amazing what he can do," Henderson said. "A lot of people see him off the field, and they're like, 'That's Antoine Winfield?' They think he's way bigger than that. Way bigger."

Winfield acknowledged that playing in the New York area might have helped his Pro Bowl chances, something he has missed the past two seasons, despite his stellar play.

"New York is a big town," Winfield said. "You get out there and perform well, they'll blow you up. You'll be in the spotlight more than being in Buffalo or here in Minnesota. But you never know. I really don't worry about that. It's out of my hands."

5 QUESTIONS FOR CRIS COLLINSWORTH

December 15, 2006 -- This week, NYP TV Sports' Andrew Marchand spoke with NFL analyst Cris Collinsworth of NBC, HBO and the NFL Network. Collinsworth, 47, will analyze one of NBC's wild-card weekend games the first weekend in January.

Q: How shocked have you been by the Jets?

A: Totally. Without question. To me, the biggest single story is what the New Orleans Saints have done. The second-biggest story is the play of the Jets. The Jets, along with the Saints, were supposed to be the two worst teams in the league.

Q: You've said you can't understand why Tiki Barber is retiring. Why not?

A: My gut feeling is he is going to regret not playing at some point. It is kind of hard for me to say because I never retired, I got cut. I always regretted not getting to play a little bit more.

Q: If you had to pick two teams to be in the Super Bowl, whom would you choose?

A: It is really hard to go off of Chicago and San Diego just because those are the two teams that are not only the hottest but they are the two teams that are going to have the home-field advantage. San Diego looks to be the toughest.

Q: Who are some sleeper teams?

A: One is Cincinnati. They seem to have fixed a few of their defensive problems. The other is Jacksonville, which is just a bruising, physical, nasty football team that would have the ability to come north and have success.

Q: There has been a lot of focus on your NFL Network partner, Bryant Gumbel. How do you think he has done as a rookie play-by-player?

A: You have to remember I know better than anyone what it is like to have never done play-by-play and try and learn it. They literally had me do six or seven weeks of practice games and one with John Madden as a practice game [before NBC got Al Michaels out of his ESPN contract.]

I never, after my seven games, got anywhere close to where Bryant was in his first game. I was never that good. I wasn't. Every week that he has done it, he keeps growing with this thing.

I think he is one of the most gracious guys I have ever worked with and works as hard or harder than anyone I have worked with. And he is so smart. A year from now, we are going to be laughing at the idea he stumbled over a first-and-10 instead of a second-and-nine.

THE SIXTH QUESTION: For more of Andrew Marchand's interview with Cris Collinsworth, check out "The Best Sports Blog in Town'' at http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/

Collinsworth talks more about the Jets and Tiki Barber

Archived