Gil Brandt observations from combine- RB's

faba

Quick hits from Indy: Day 3

By Gil Brandt

NFL.com Senior Analyst

NFL.com draft expert Gil Brandt is in Indianapolis at the 2005 National Scouting Combine. While there, he will file daily reports for draft-hungry fans to read about.

(Feb. 26, 2005) -- Of the 18 running backs on hand, 14 of them ran. Marion Barber from Minnesota worked out but didn't run, and RBs Cedric Benson (Texas), Ciatrick Fason (Florida) and Frank Gore (Miami) aren't doing any of the workouts.

Everyone waited with baited breath to see how these running backs did, and they didn't disappoint. Two of them -- Notre Dame's Ryan Grant and West Virginia's Kay-Jay Harris -- clocked in at under 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash. Three more -- Auburn Ronnie Brown, Michigan State's DeAndra Cobb and Wisconsin's Anthony Davis ran a 4.4 or under. Brown especially helped himself out with his times.

Another name making waves is J.J. Arrington of Cal. When I look at him, I see a carbon copy of former Raiders first-round pick Napoleon Kaufman. Now Kaufman may have been a little taller, but otherwise they're exactly the same.

And then there's Maurice Clarett, formerly of Ohio State. My times on Clarett in the 40 were between 4.75 and 4.85. I consider those reliable times. While some may consider that bad news, the redeeming quality is that his quickness could negate those times if he does well in the shuttle drill. Speed is important, but quickness ranks right up there with it. He will not work out March 8 at Ohio State's Pro Day, and will instead work out at a later date in March.

Archived