UT's Post Senior Bowl Mock Offseason (with explanations)

Untouchable

Mock Draft:

1st round: OG Justin Blalock - Texas

Blalock is the exact type of player that our O-line needs. He's a nasty mauler who will instantly help upgrade our running game and offensive line as a whole. He had a great combine registering 40 reps in the bench press. He has eevrything Mangini looks for in a player. As a poster earlier pointed out (JazzyJet I believe) the guy scored an 1100 hundred on the SAT test IN THE 7th GRADE!!! This is the guy we want to pair with Brick and Mangold for years to come.

2nd round: *Traded to San Diego for RB Michael Turner*

Aside from Peterson, I don't see any "elite" RB talent in this draft. There is some solid value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds with guys like Bush, Hunt, and Irons...but no one with the skill and potential of Michael Turner. He would provide an excellent 1-2 punch with Leon Washington.

2nd round: OLB LaMarr Woodley - Michigan

Woodley's stock has dropped recently, but Mangini and company won't let him drop to the 3rd round. He posesses excellent field awareness and is the epitome of a Mangini player. He's not a great athlete, but is plain and simply an excellent football player. A poor mans Shawn Merriman in my opinion.

3rd round: NT Brandon Mebane - California

Mebane saw his stock drop with a relatively poor combine. He still has a lot of talent and has a motor that never quits. Could develop into our future starting NT within the next 2 or 3 years.

5th round: CB John Talley - Duke

I've had Talley as our 5th round pick in the majority of my mocks and with good reason. This kid is a definite sleeper at CB. He played on a very poor team but still produced consistently. Maybe Mangini can work his magic and turn this kid into a very solid player in the future.

6th round: WR Mike Mason - Tennessee State

The front office adds depth to the receiving core with our final pick of the '07 draft. Mason isn't very talented, but he plays hard and will take advantage of every oppurtunity he's given. Could develop into a solid slot receiver down the road.

FA Signings:

DE Kenyon Coleman

Coleman played very well in a situational role as a 3-4 DE in Dallas. KR made a great comparison about Kenyon a while back saying that he's Terdell Sands without the hype and actually fits our defense. We know Mangini has major ties to Parcells and I'm sure he'll call up the Tuna for some more info on Coleman.

CB Roderick Hood

Hood has been overshadowed by Sheldon Brown and Lito Shepperd during his stint in Philly. He's known as a great nickel corner and has the potential to be a very good starter. An "Andre Dyson" type of signing that could pay off greatly.

RT Marc Columbo

Columbo was known as a 1st round bust for a good while but came on strong for Dallas last season at RT giving up only 1 sack all year. He's solid all around and would be an upgrade over Anthony Clement. He should also come at a relatively cheap price.

TE Daniel Graham

Graham is known as one of the better blocking TE's in football and is also a solid receiver. Baker is above average, but it wouldn't hurt to add some competition. Baker and Graham would be a nice combo when we shift to a two TE set.

FB Ovie Mughelli

Schotty likes the Lorenzo Neal type of FB's that run over opposing LB's to free up holes in the running game and Ovie definitely fits the bill. He came on strong last season for Baltimore and is quickly building a reputation as a great lead blocker. He's also a solid receiver as well.

QB Tim Rattay

Ramsey is likely on his way out so we bring in a veteran to add depth and competition to the QB lineup.

Re-Signings

DE Dave Ball

OG Wade Smith

LB Victor Hobson (extension)

WR Jerricho Cotchery (extension)

Cuts:

RB Derrick Blaylock

WR Justin McCareins

QB Patrick Ramsey

CB David Barrett

OT Adrian Jones

2007 Starting Lineup:

QB Chad Pennington

RB Michael Turner

FB Ovie Mughelli

WR Laveranues Coles

WR Jerricho Cotchery

TE Daniel Graham

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

LG Pete Kendall

C Nick Mangold

RG Justin Blalock

RT Marc Columbo

DE Shaun Ellis

NT Dewayne Robertson

DE Kenyon Coleman

OLB Bryan Thomas

ILB Jonathan Vilma

ILB Victor Hobson/Eric Barton

OLB LaMarr Woodley

CB Andre Dyson

CB Roderick Hood

FS Kerry Rhodes

SS Eric Smith/Erik Coleman

Overall I like it.

Mebane might be a bit small for NT. I think he plumped on 20 lbs for the combine. D'Brick did that & it was gone by the end of camp. A 295-300-lb NT won't do the job.

I seriously doubt Tangini would cut one scrub backup QB for another one that comes complete with a new signing bonus (even if it's only $1-2M). If Ramsey is replaced, it will be with a late-round pick.

Who is Brick's backup next year after cutting Jones, or are you just cutting him for the sake of cutting $200K off the cap? (Cutting Jones saves ~$450K. He'll have to be replaced with A body & even an UDFA costs $250K). He's got starting experience, even if it was unspectacular. We already passed on Clement and cut Teague. So that's 3 players who can play RT/LT & you replaced them with 1 (Colombo).

Archived