Ricky Henderson to play again in independent league

faba

Henderson signs contract to play in Class-A levelESPN.com news services

The San Diego Surf Dawgs apparently have found their leadoff hitter: Rickey Henderson.

Henderson

Henderson, a future Hall of Famer, has signed a contract to play for the Dawgs in the inaugural season of the Golden Baseball League, the San Diego Union-Tribune reports.

"He still just wants to play," Surf Dawgs manager Terry Kennedy said. "I think he wants to be the first one to hit a home run, cross home plate and collect his salary check, pension and social security all at the same time."

Henderson, 46, will earn $3,000 a month as a member of the Class-A level independent team's roster. He is expected to play left field for the Surf Dawgs when the season opens on May 26 and has a lucrative marketing agreement with the league -- including a Rickey Henderson bobblehead night.

"He creates a buzz," Kennedy told the Union-Tribune. "The two-sided thing for us is he will put people in the seats, and he can still play a little bit.

"When I spoke to him I said, 'Are you in shape?' and he said, 'You know I am.' Who else has that kind of body at age 46?"

Organizers of the league, formed last year, did not express an interest at first in signing former major leaguers, fearing it would be viewed as a publicity stunt, the paper reported.

But the league decided Henderson was worth it.

"As with any signing of a big athlete, someone who has a reputation, people are going to view it that way [as a publicity stunt]," Dave Kaval, the GBL's founder and CEO, told the Union-Tribune. "But if people come out to the ballpark, they're going to see how much Rickey plays. He's such a competitor. He wants to win. ... The doubters and cynics will be pleasantly surprised."

By continuing to play professionally, however, Henderson is delaying his Hall of Fame eligibility. He played the last two seasons for the Newark (N.J.) Bears in the independent Atlantic League.

In his major league career, Henderson set records for stolen bases with 1,406 and runs scored with 2,295. He also held the record for walks with 2,190 until last season, when Barry Bonds eclipsed the mark.

Henderson also holds the record for leadoff homers with 81.

The official announcement of Henderson's signing is expected Monday, and he was not available for comment to the paper Sunday night.

Rickey just can not give it up-gotta give him credit for willing to play in places like Newark (San Diego I do not think I would ever mind playing in) Still looking for one more shot at the majors.

Archived