What a day to be a fight fan!!!!!!!!!!!

vinnys025

First off we have our warm up appetizer on Showtime at 3pm which matches up Joe Calzaghe vs Peter Manfredo Jr. This could be a great fight here if Manfredo lives up to the hype, cause you know Calzaghe ALWAYS brings it. Calzaghe dismantled showtime's golden boy champion Jeff "left hook" Lacy in the same manner that Winkey Wright took apart Trinidad....it was almost embarrassing. Calzaghe is an underrated fighter that no one has heard about cause he fights mainly overseas like Rickey Hatton. In case you were wondering, Calzaghe has a record of 42-0, as does Rickey Hatton. My prediction is Calzaghe will KO Manfredo before 9.

Then later on in the night we have another potential boxing gem on HBO when Corrales takes on Clottey. This could be a great fight. Corrales was involved in one of the top 3 fights of all time in my opinion a couple years back when he fought Castillo, but since then has never been the same fighter, but who would be after that war! I cant wait for this one either because Clottey will throw and throw and throw...... My prediction....well, this one is really a toss up and I have no idea what will happen. I'll just say Corrales cause I like him and he has faced the better competition. Corrales by KO with his devastating left hook in the 6th.

Now we have a UFC event around the same time as the Corrales fight. I don't think this is the best fight card around. The main even is St. Pierre vs long islands own Matt Serra. I for one don't think Serra stands a chance in hell. To me the main event has to be Diego Sanchez Vs. Josh Koscheck. After watching Sanchez's fights, he is the real deal and could be the best in his weight class in the near future. Very intense and is becoming a well rounded fighter. He will have his hands full with Koschecks wrestling ability, but I think this will be the main event on the card. Could be a great fight. I have Sanchez winning in the 3rd and of course St. Pierre winning over Serra.

Into the wee hours in the morning we have a Pride event. This card does not have "elite" fighters on it but I do however like a couple of the fights on the card. The main event is Jeff Monson of the UFC vs Fujita of Pride. I have always loved Fujita and when he became the ONLY man ever to show that Fedor is human by nearly putting him out, he commands immidiate respect and can punch with the best of them. Two HUGE bomb throwers, I wouldnt want to be in the right with those big SOB's. I think Fujita will win by KO.

Speaking of HUGE, you also have Butterbean vs Zulu!!! Ok ok, while they arent technical fighters, this is just an entertaining fight and you know how those Japan people are about their monsters. They always have to put them in there for the MMA "fun" aspect. At least we know there will be a KO!! Butterbean should mop him up though in the first round. Then we have Don Frye, yes DON FRYE fighting James Thompson, another HUGE and intense dude. This is a David and Goliath fight that also puts more entertainment value on the card. First off what is Don Frye still doing fighting!! Have to give the man credit, he's till doing it. I think Frye will beat him in the first round, Thompson is just too wild and too slow compared to Frye. My "wild" prediction is that Frye will knock him out...

Now the unpredictable fight of the night is "the african assisin" vs Ricardo Arona. There is no doubt that Ricardo Arona is a very good fighter however the african assisn KO'd Nogiera (not the better Nogiera) last month in the biggest shocker of the night. We will find out if his win over Nogiera was a fluke or not because Arona will work you the whole fight. I just hope he doesent do the "lay and pray" method like he did a couple years back vs Silva. I think Arona will win but I hope not. I personally never liked him or his fighting style. He has great leg kicks and is very quick on his feet for his size.

Today is a great day to be a fight fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived