Chiefs DE Allen signs one-year qualifying offer, to report for OTAs - ESPN.com

Chiefs DE Allen signs one-year qualifying offer, to report for OTAs

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Three-year veteran defensive end Jared Allen, the Kansas City Chiefs' outstanding young pass rusher who last month was suspended by the NFL for the first four games of the 2007 season, signed the one-year qualifying offer for a restricted free agent on Monday.

He will report to the club Tuesday for the start of organized team activities (OTAs) sessions.

In an interview with the Kansas City Star over the weekend, Allen made it clear that his decision to report for the workouts, even though he did not receive a long-term contract offer he considered commensurate to his performance in his first three NFL seasons, was because of his loyalty to coach Herm Edwards, his teammates and the Kansas City fans.

"That's the reason I'm back," said Allen, who remains upset at Kansas City management. "I told coach Edwards, 'Let's not get this mistaken. I'm back for my teammates and for you.' There is no other reason."

Allen, 25, was suspended in April for repeat violations of the league's substance abuse policy after twice being charged with DUI last year. He has demonstrated much remorse over the incidents and has become very involved in several local charities, most notably working with a group that raises funds to combat juvenile diabetes.

The former Idaho State star pleaded no contest to the most recent charges in September and entered a diversion program to resolve the first DUI incident from May 2006.

The one-year qualifying offer signed Monday, tendered to Allen in February to essentially ward off any teams that might have considered signing him to a restricted free agent offer sheet, is worth $2.35 million. Allen will forfeit $552,941 of that because of the suspension.

Kansas City used the highest-level tender on Allen, one that would have cost another team that successfully signed him to an offer sheet first- and third-round choices in the '07 draft as compensation. That steep price tag kept suitors at bay.

Barring an extension, or the Chiefs using a franchise designation to retain him, Allen will be eligible for unrestricted free agency next spring. And given his prowess as a pass rusher, he figures to command plenty of attention if he goes into the unrestricted market.

A fourth-round choice in the 2004 draft, Allen has developed into one of the league's top young sack threats. He has 165 tackles, 27

Archived