Something about the Jets interior defensive line and how it has been addressed that bothers me.

So, the Jets let Quinton Jefferson walk along with Bryce Huff in the offseason, and traded away JFM.  JFM, while not a sack master, was an active player on the line.  Jefferson had a very good season; actually, one of his most productive seasons.  

With the 3 of them gone, we have a sack guy from Philly that seems great.  But, did the Jets do enough to fill the hole at defensive tackle, to help defend against the run?

Letting Jefferson go to the Cleveland Browns for a 1 year, $3.6 Million dollar contract seemed foolish to me.  The Jets were given the opportunity to match that contract, but were too slow in responding, and lost him.  Jefferson was only 30 years old, and had 6 sacks for the Jets last year.  Did the Jets want Jefferson back?  The answer is yes, but they for whatever reason, sat on their hands too long, and he was gone.

Yes, the Jets acquired Javon Kinlaw and Leki Fotu in the hopes that they will offer the same, or better protection on the interior defensive line that both JFM and Jefferson did.

But Kinlaw only had 3.5 sacks last year, and Jefferson had 6.  And the price to keep Jefferson was the same as what he was paid by the Jets in 2023.

I am not confident that the Jets did enough on the interior D line to defend against the run this upcoming year.  This just seems like malpractice to me.  And to add insult to injury, the Jets decided not to draft any defensive tackles in this years draft, even though we had ample opportunity and certainly enough draft picks with which to draft one.

• Thumb Down 1

The defensive front is built around having relatively cheap players they can rotate through during games but also let go or trade to keep cost low and potentially pick up comp picks. Players you liked will leave--a lot. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Other fans/teams look at our DL and its depth with envy.    We have 4 first-round picks on the starting DL lineup. That’s insane.

Jermaine Johnson
Javon Kinlaw
Quinnen Williams
Hasaan Reddick

Plus Solomon Thomas and WMD behind the starting four, who are also 1st round picks. :-)  

• Upvote 2

Jefferson over performed his cheap deal thus he is punted, a hall mark of joe douglas

Morgan Moses punted, regret, trade for him.

Thomas Morstead, he vastly out performs Mann, but get rid of him to run it back with sh*tty mann.   Regret, bring morestead back.

Jefferson out plays his contract so lets dump him for some magic Saleh beans.

In nay case dline does not matter much as these guys will all play like 20% of the snaps.

Quinnen, REddick, mcdonald and Jermaine johnson are the ones that are important.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

So, the Jets let Quinton Jefferson walk along with Bryce Huff in the offseason, and traded away JFM.  JFM, while not a sack master, was an active player on the line.  Jefferson had a very good season; actually, one of his most productive seasons.  

With the 3 of them gone, we have a sack guy from Philly that seems great.  But, did the Jets do enough to fill the hole at defensive tackle, to help defend against the run?

Letting Jefferson go to the Cleveland Browns for a 1 year, $3.6 Million dollar contract seemed foolish to me.  The Jets were given the opportunity to match that contract, but were too slow in responding, and lost him.  Jefferson was only 30 years old, and had 6 sacks for the Jets last year.  Did the Jets want Jefferson back?  The answer is yes, but they for whatever reason, sat on their hands too long, and he was gone.

Yes, the Jets acquired Javon Kinlaw and Leki Fotu in the hopes that they will offer the same, or better protection on the interior defensive line that both JFM and Jefferson did.

But Kinlaw only had 3.5 sacks last year, and Jefferson had 6.  And the price to keep Jefferson was the same as what he was paid by the Jets in 2023.

I am not confident that the Jets did enough on the interior D line to defend against the run this upcoming year.  This just seems like malpractice to me.  And to add insult to injury, the Jets decided not to draft any defensive tackles in this years draft, even though we had ample opportunity and certainly enough draft picks with which to draft one.

Youre concerned about our ability to stop the run and citing sack numbers. 🤣

We’re gonna being up by 21 points. Nobody is running the ball on us. Plus, the guys they brought in are just as good if not better. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Youre concerned about our ability to stop the run and citing sack numbers. 🤣

We’re gonna being up by 21 points. Nobody is running the ball on us. Plus, the guys they brought in are just as good if not better. 

Playing with a lead? Dayum!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Jefferson is better than Kinlaw and Woods is better than Fotu. It is a downgrade but if Reddick and McDonald show their pass rush ability then it’ll all work out.

Jefferson and Woods were one-trick ponies (Jefferson only really effective on passing downs and Woods better against the run).  I think the Jets prefer versatile IDLs who can do both, but platooning Jefferson and Woods was the best option that they had in FA last year after Rankins (a more well-rounded player) left.

Kinlaw can be effective on all 4 downs, and as a young player he's still ascending.  He has a higher ceiling than Jefferson, but a lower floor due mainly to his injury history and inconsistency (although he played a full season last year and Jefferson didn't).  Woods wasn't coming back due to his age and the major injury that ended his season, and Fotu is a younger version who could potentially rise to his level as he develops.

I have no issues with the Jets replacing aging players with younger players on their 2nd contracts who still have room to develop.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Other fans/teams look at our DL and its depth with envy..  We have 4 former first-round picks on the starting DL lineup.  
That’s insane.

Jermaine Johnson
Javon Kinlaw
Quinnen Williams
Hasaan Reddick

…and two of those spots are backed up by former first round picks. 

Solomon Thomas    
Will McDonald

I’m sure there’s plenty to complain about, as a Jets fan, but DL isn’t it.   

Id take this a step further and say that the Defense was top 5 and should be even better playing with a lead.

Im trying to think of a defensive player that they picked up recently who didn't work out and I cant think of any.   

4 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Id take this a step further and say that the Defense was top 5 and should be even better playing with a lead.

Im trying to think of a defensive player that they picked up recently who didn't work out and I cant think of any.   

Jordan Whitehead?  Other than that incredible week 1 game last year.  He wasn't bad but he didn't really do much the rest of his two years that I recall.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alka said:

Somehow Douglas did just fine starting from when he became gm in bringing in players on the dline.  Jfm was a practice squad pick up.  Jefferson was a udfa or late rounder or something like that.  And then he filled it out with guys like Thomas or wood, etc.  I don’t think we should be unduly worried about this aspect unless Kinlaw spits the bit.  And this udfa from Miami seems pretty good.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Jordan Whitehead?  Other than that incredible week 1 game last year.  He wasn't bad but he didn't really do much the rest of his two years that I recall.

He had an incentive clause that paid out when he hit 3 ints. He hit it opening day, lol. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

@Alka Sit back and enjoy another offseason championship for the Jets.

You’ve been here long enough to know everything is honky dory with this team until the games start.

Ain't that the truth!!  When it comes to the Jets, I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop.  lol

I keep wondering about our offensive line.  Now that the Jets finally addressed the offensive tackle depth with the drafting of Fashanu, I'm wondering if now Tryon Smith and Moses will somehow stay healthy the entire season, and Fashanu will be watching from the bench.

You don't address it, they get injured.  You protect yourself with the depth, they now won't get injured.  Everything seems to happen in reverse when it comes to the Jets.

Rodgers last year, gets injured, but we have no legit backups.  Our offensive line goes down, we bring in scrubs and get killed.  Garrett Wilson is our #1 wr, but Lazard takes a mental break for the entire year, Davis decides to retire, and we trade our new free agent back to Kansas City to help them win the superbowl.   

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Jefferson is better than Kinlaw and Woods is better than Fotu. It is a downgrade but if Reddick and McDonald show their pass rush ability then it’ll all work out.

I get being skeptical of Kinlaw, c'mon.  Woods is better than Fotu?  Woods didn't even last to the trade deadline.  No worries.  He's still on the street, assuming he wants to come back from the achilles.

6 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

@Alka Sit back and enjoy another offseason championship for the Jets.

You’ve been here long enough to know everything is honky dory with this team until the games start.

You have actual concerns about the Jets Interior Defensive Line... or just grabbing at any excuse to sh*t on Jets fans on a Jets board??

commercial real estate cre GIF by thebrokerlist

7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

There are reasons to dislike the Kinlaw pick up, but I don't think Jefferson having six sacks is one of them.  Jefferson has played for some good defenses, but is literally switching teams for the 6th time in 6 seasons (starting at Seattle and stopping back there after Buffalo and Vegas before joining the Jets and now Cleveland.  I have read that he was not so hot at some of the other metrics. 

They kept Solomon Thomas.  I think they feel good enough about guys like Hector and Smart that even if there are injuries it will not be a disaster.  Fotu takes Al Woods spot, but probably offers more versatility and ability to play more snaps. Clemons will play some inside, they way that JFM did and Hector also fits that mold and played some snaps last year.  They seem understandably confident in finding other guys that can play inside on the scrap heap.  They already have a nice candidate in Leonard Taylor.  Marquiss Spenser is a size/speed guy they got from Denver who they have been carrying on the practice squad.

Upvote for using “literally“ correctly. 

i felt the same way last offseason when we let sheldon rankins walk - excellent run defender who was able to generate pressure from the interior- why oh why did we let him go? now we’re doing the same with jefferson - i’m
pretty sure it’s going to work out fine

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If Kinlaw can stay healthy, on paper, Q. WIll and him side by side is the most dynamic interior threat Saleh/Ulbrich have coached w/ the Jets.  And I've said it before but since they were all drafted in the same draft, Garrett, Watt, Reddick have been the premier pass rushers in the NFL.  Again, on paper, one of the best players the Jets have ever acquired.  I think they have some interesting, guys to rotate too...bringing Thomas back, I think they like Smart, Fotu is 6'5 330, that's a massive man.  idk, doesnt seem all that negligent. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You have actual concerns about the Jets Interior Defensive Line... or just grabbing at any excuse to sh*t on Jets fans on a Jets board??

commercial real estate cre GIF by thebrokerlist

Both, either, or none. Whichever one works for you is fine with me. It really doesn’t matter to me which you choose.
I’m easy like Sunday morning.