Culpepepper could go to Jaguars

faba

Recent reports on the NFL Network have hinted at Jacksonville as a possible destination for Miami quarterback Daunte Culpepper, whose tenure is in jeopardy now that the Dolphins have traded for Kansas City's Trent Green.

contextual_ad_header_midstory();

contextual_ad_content_midstory();contextual_ad_footer_midstory();

buy a link here

While league rules prohibit Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio from commenting about Culpepper, because he is currently under contract with the Dolphins, one thing the coach made clear after organized team activities Wednesday is that the only way Culpepper comes to Jacksonville is as a backup to Byron Leftwich.

"We don't rule any players out," Del Rio said. "Obviously, I like our quarterback situation. I've been on record. I've said it countless times."

Instead of naming Culpepper specifically when addressing reporters about the possibility of acquiring him, Del Rio referred to him in one instance as "a quarterback south of here."

"We consider all possibilities," he said. "Right now, he's on another roster. I don't think it makes any sense for me to sit up here and talk about something that's on another roster."

Instead of discussing Culpepper any further, Del Rio preferred to rave about Leftwich's performance during Wednesday's drills, specifically the blitz portion of the workout.

Leftwich connected on several throws during the blitz period, including a long pass over the middle to receiver Dennis Northcutt.

"That's as sharp as he's looked. That's the sharpest we've looked offensively, and obviously there's a lot to be done," Del Rio said. "But I like the signs I'm seeing."

McCray move pending

The Jaguars might soon have to take a hard line in trying to motivate defensive end Bobby McCray to rejoin the team by the start of training camp.

Unhappy with his contract, McCray did not report to minicamp or any of the club's offseason activities.

The Jaguars have until June 15 to send McCray a letter warning him that they will lower his original restricted free-agent tender offer ($1.85 million) to 110 percent of his salary from last season, which would place his 2007 base salary at approximately $480,000. McCray has refused to sign the $1.85 million tender because he wants a long-term deal.

"Internally, we've had discussions. There's only so much we can do," Del Rio said. "Ultimately, you hope to find that common ground where the player decides to be a part of the team and the team is happy to have that player." Etc.

The last I heard was on NFL Live last night and the reports were 4 teams were interested:

1. Jacksonville

2. Detroit

3. St.Louis:eek:

4. New England:eek:

What the Rams & Patriots would want with Culpepper is beyond me. Detroit would be the best fit, he could come in and challenge Kitna from TC on to be the #1 for Opening Day. Jacksonville, who knows what they want to do. I guess this is a sign that Leftwich will be gone after the sesaon when his rookie contract expires.

Archived