Ty Law to Browns possibility

faba

Browns interested in ex-Patriot Law

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Mary Kay Cabot

Plain Dealer Reporter

Former Ravens linebacker Peter Boulware isn't the only four-time Pro Bowl defender with Super Bowl bling that the Browns are interested in checking out.

Coach Romeo Crennel said Wednesday after passing camp that he'd like to bring former Patriots cornerback Ty Law in for a visit.

"I haven't spoken with Ty, but Ty knows how I feel about him and I don't think there's any question about how he feels about me," Crennel said. "His injury situation is one that has to be resolved."

Like Boulware, who didn't play last season because of a knee injury, Law is coming off a broken foot that kept him out the fi nal 12 games of 2004, includ ing the Patriots' Super Bowl vic- tory.

Law underwent surgery on the foot and has only recently started running.

"I know he's visited some places, but I haven't heard [how healthy he is]," Crennel said. "I heard he was running straight ahead, but I don't know where he is."

Shortly after Law was released by the Patriots in February, Crennel said at the NFL Combine, "If healthy, Ty Law is still one of the best cornerbacks in the game."

Law, 31, has drawn interest from about six teams and recently visited the Lions and Dolphins. Lions President Matt Millen said two weeks ago he thought Law could contribute, but didn't sign him.

The Chiefs were interested in signing him before the draft, but traded with Miami for cornerback Patrick Surtain instead. The Jets, Steelers and Colts have also expressed interest.

Crennel said he wouldn't be dissuaded by the fact that Law is represented by Kevin and Carl Poston, the agents for Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. The Browns and Postons could be headed for trouble if the Browns decide to recoup some of Winslow's money for breaching his contract by riding a motorcycle. Winslow is expected to miss the 2005 season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament sustained during his motorcycle crash, and the Browns could try to reclaim up to $9.4 million.

Ty Law in Cleveland, I was the first person to ever say this 2 months ago and now it's looking true, although I had always hoped he'd end up here but with DAbe back, he's going to Cleveland, watch and see.

...and I say Ty will go to the team that offers the most money. If the Jets pony-up the the best deal (and the most cash), Ty will come. Do not think, Jets Fans, that Ty will sign a one-year incentive ladden contract. I don't care how tight he and CuMart are, that will not happen.

...and I say Ty will go to the team that offers the most money. If the Jets pony-up the the best deal (and the most cash), Ty will come. Do not think, Jets Fans, that Ty will sign a one-year incentive ladden contract. I don't care how tight he and CuMart are, that will not happen.

I tend to agree. If multiple teams were to step up to an acceptable level, then he might choose based on where he wants to be, but no way does he take significantly less to be a Jet or anything else.

This is probably his last payday unless it's a short deal.

Whoever does sign him will get a great player.

Archived