The NFL always seems to find a home for a TANK JOHNSON and his ilk

Kentucky Jet

NFL always seems to find a home for Johnson -- and his ilk

By Gene Wojciechowski

ESPN.com

Yawn. The Chicago Bears waived the galactically stupid Terry "Tank" Johnson after -- what was it this time? -- he got pulled over at 3:30 a.m. for speeding and suspected driving while impaired. This isn't news, it's habit.

Jerry Lai-US PRESSWIRE

Tank Johnson's off-the-field problems finally ended up costing him his job. For now.

Johnson owns guns, lots of them, but he apparently doesn't own a watch or the name of a limo company that can drive him home when he's out until two hours before dawn. But it isn't as though he'll be unemployed for long. Here's what will happen next:

The now-former Bears defensive tackle will keep a subterranean profile until blood test results determine whether authorities in Gilbert, Ariz., charge him with driving under the influence. In the meantime, there's always Johnson's heartfelt statement -- the one his lawyer issued and probably wrote, too -- professing his "regret that I have to leave Chicago under these circumstances."

Now then, if Johnson is charged with the DUI, his lawyer likely will release another polished statement, supposedly in the player's words, in which Tank declares his innocence, announces a spiritual rebirth, and says the recent events have taught him a valuable and life-changing lesson. There might even be a few strategically timed tears at the first court appearance. You know, just for the cameras or sketch artists.

And if he's cleared of the charges, Johnson undoubtedly will declare his desire to move forward and return to the football field -- just as soon as he completes his eight-game, NFL-imposed suspension for the other dumb-ass things he has done in the past 24 months. He'll apologize -- again -- and promise never to make the same mistake.

Until the next time.

Anyway, it's a scam and it's insulting, disingenuous and manipulative. But it works. Always has, always will.

Johnson will get another NFL job. As long as teams need experienced defensive tackles -- and Johnson has 46 games of experience in his three seasons in the league -- general managers and coaches everywhere will pretend Johnson is sincere about rehabbing his image and character. And as usual, Johnson will pretend back.

I'm not cynical enough to question the Bears' sincerity when it came to their efforts to help Johnson. GM Jerry Angelo and coach Lovie Smith knew they'd look like idiots if Johnson brain cramped again, but they took the plunge anyway. Now, their credibility needs mouth-to-mouth.

The Bears should have waived Johnson in December, when police discovered more than 500 rounds of ammo and six unregistered rifles and handguns -- in full view of his children -- at his suburban Chicago house. And if not then, they should have waived him when he went clubbing with one of his best friends, only to see the friend get shot and killed that night. This was immediately after the Bears warned Johnson to clean up his act.

But the Bears needed a defensive tackle, just as the Tennessee Titans need cornerback and playmaker Adam "Pacman" Jones, whose new nickname should be, "The Human Mug Shot." Bears and Titans management can rationalize it any way they want, but this is about greed, nothing else. The greed to win, no matter what mope wears your uniform.

Can you play? That's all that really matters. Bill Walton said it in his autobiography 13 years ago: "You can be a criminal, a druggie, a jerk of a person, have zero social skills, very little intellect, but, man, if you can play, there's always a spot for you." Walton was talking about the NBA, but it fits the NFL just as snugly.

If you can play, an NFL team or a smart agent can massage the rough spots. All it takes is, say, an appearance in a United Way commercial or a Thanksgiving Day photo op in an Armani. Maybe something with puppies. Hey, we'll fall for anything.

The Bears fell for Johnson, and the Titans fell for Jones. And the Cincinnati Bengals apparently fall for anybody who has been fingerprinted. How's that working out these days, fellas?

A New York Post columnist, Paul Schwartz, recently suggested that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell punish not only the guilty players but also the teams that employ the players. Take away a draft pick for every conviction. Shrink the precious salary cap. That will do it.

No, it won't. It's a nice idea, but if it doesn't work on the college level (NCAA investigators do a brisk business every year), it's not going to work on the pro level. You think the Atlanta Falcons wouldn't have traded for the right to draft just Michael Vick because they heard he might be a fan of illegal dogfights?

NFL teams are about making money, not necessarily about making good citizens. For some GMs and coaches, choosing between a law-abiding player with average skills or a Pro Bowl-caliber player with a criminal past isn't exactly a moral dilemma. Talent, not character, wins the day.

Goodell is trying to change the culture. Johnson is looking at that eight-game suspension, maybe more. Jones is gone for the season. The Bengals' Chris Henry is out for eight games. But none of it matters if another team (Dallas? Denver? Tampa Bay?) enables Johnson when he's eligible to sign as a free agent.

Maybe you take Schwartz's original idea and apply it to suspended players and the teams that retain their services. You want to sign Johnson? Knock yourself out. But if he screws up again, it's going to cost him his career and cost you a draft pick. Now that's a partnership.

Earlier this week, Goodell spoke to all 255 players of the 2007 draft class at the league's mandatory rookie symposium in Palm Beach, Fla. He talked about the rookies' responsibilities not only as players but as men. He referred to the famed NFL logo and how "We all represent that shield."

Maybe the rookies listened, maybe they didn't. All anyone knows for sure is that the shield has some dent marks in it. And as long as teams keep giving the Johnsons of the world fifth chances, the marks are only going to grow deeper.

Gene Wojciechowski is the senior national columnist for ESPN.com. You can contact him at gene.wojciechowski@espn3.com.

He didn't assassinate the Pope for Christ's sake; yes, he's a dumb-ass, but he should be allowed to return to the league after he serves his suspension and a team willing to take a chance on him should not have to risk a draft pick. This guy is nowhere near Pac-Man's league; yet.

He didn't assassinate the Pope for Christ's sake; yes, he's a dumb-ass, but he should be allowed to return to the league after he serves his suspension and a team willing to take a chance on him should not have to risk a draft pick. This guy is nowhere near Pac-Man's league; yet.

"The Bears should have waived Johnson in December, when police discovered more than 500 rounds of ammo and six unregistered rifles and handguns -- in full view of his children -- at his suburban Chicago house. And if not then, they should have waived him when he went clubbing with one of his best friends, only to see the friend get shot and killed that night. This was immediately after the Bears warned Johnson to clean up his act."

Er...I guess he was planning on shooting at cola cans in his backyard for fun. Lucky one of his kids didn't decide to play with one of those. The guy is a turd who didn't learn his lesson. What about 3rd, fourth, fifth, 25th chances does he not get? It's not like nobody was willing to give him a SECOND chance. He got that. And then some.

"The Bears should have waived Johnson in December, when police discovered more than 500 rounds of ammo and six unregistered rifles and handguns -- in full view of his children -- at his suburban Chicago house. And if not then, they should have waived him when he went clubbing with one of his best friends, only to see the friend get shot and killed that night. This was immediately after the Bears warned Johnson to clean up his act."

Er...I guess he was planning on shooting at cola cans in his backyard for fun. Lucky one of his kids didn't decide to play with one of those. The guy is a turd who didn't learn his lesson. What about 3rd, fourth, fifth, 25th chances does he not get? It's not like nobody was willing to give him a SECOND chance. He got that. And then some.

I don't understand the gun fetish either, and in no way do I support having the weapons around the ninos, but there are a lot of people who collect that type of stuff. I don't see how driving under the influence at 3am compares. I understand he is a dip$hit scumbag, but my point was the team who gives him chance to play should not have to risk a draft pick, as they will be risking enough just by signing Tank.

Guys like Tank Johnson and Pacman Jones with the size, speed and talent, will always have a home with some NFL organization, as long as they're in their 20's. Tank has done a lot less than Pacman, so I am cheering for him more than Pacman to get signed with a new team and get his career back on track. Good luck Tank.

Guys like Tank Johnson and Pacman Jones with the size, speed and talent, will always have a home with some NFL organization, as long as they're in their 20's. Tank has done a lot less than Pacman, so I am cheering for him more than Pacman to get signed with a new team and get his career back on track. Good luck Tank.

Do you also cheer for Charlie Manson to get his life back on track? Poor analogy, but just what is it with all of the apologist stuff I often see? I repeat, the guy was given many chances to 'get his life back on track'. Anyone who takes a chance on this guy in the future should also have to put SOMETHING at risk, other than looking like a dope. It sends an awful message not to.

Archived