For Hockey fans- John D'Amico RIP

faba

Hall of Fame linesman John D'Amico dies at 67

May 30, 2005

TORONTO (AP) -- John D'Amico, a Hockey Hall of Fame linesman who spent 23 years officiating before joining the NHL front office, died at 67.

He died Sunday night, the league said Monday.

``John D'Amico brought a passion and dedication to his profession both on the ice as a linesman and later as a supervisor of officials,'' NHL executive vice president Jim Gregory said. ``A true testament to John's legacy is the respect that players, general managers, coaches, fellow officials and fans had for him.''

D'Amico was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1993. He started as a referee, officiating his first game in 1964. After 22 games in that job, he became a linesman.

D'Amico worked 1,689 regular-season games, 247 playoff games, 52 Stanley Cup final games and six international hockey series. He left the ice in 1987 to become the NHL's supervisor of officials.

D'Amico was one of the best linesman in the game when I first started watching hockey late 70's early 80's.

I didn't hear about this. A huge loss to hockey. Far and away, the best official in the NHL. Ever.

D'Amico was one of the best I have seen in all my years of watching hockey.

Wednesday and Thursday negotiations are scheduled again this week-

The officiating in hockey is THE WORST in all sports. D'Amico was fair.

Remember Wally Harris? :shock:

If a collective bargaining agreement is reached, they may still have a Draft in late June. (Fingers and toes crossed).

D'Amico was one of the best I have seen in all my years of watching hockey.

Wednesday and Thursday negotiations are scheduled again this week-

Another good ref I can remember was Andy Van Hellomond - most of the guys are terrible now- either calling every little infraction or being totally inconsistent in their calls.

Archived