Patriots release Roman Phifer

RichardSeymour

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

February 28, 2005

PATRIOTS RELEASE LB ROMAN PHIFER

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Patriots announced the release of veteran linebacker Roman Phifer today.

Phifer, 36, was signed by the Patriots as a veteran free agent on Aug. 3, 2001 and played in 59 games with 46 starts in his four seasons in New England. The 6-foot-2-inch, 248-pound linebacker has played in 211 games over his 14-year career with the L.A./St. Louis Rams (1991-98), the N.Y. Jets (1999-2000) and the Patriots (2001-04). In his four seasons in New England, the UCLA product totaled 385 tackles, ranking second on the team over that span, trailing only Tedy Bruschi (403 tackles). In 2001 - his first season in New England - Phifer started all 16 games at outside linebacker and finished second on the team with 92 tackles. The following season, he led the team with 109 tackles despite missing two games due to injury. In 2003, he finished third on the team with 133 tackles while starting nine games at inside linebacker and six games at outside linebacker. Last season, Phifer played in 13 games with one start and totaled 51 tackles. He finished second on the team in tackles in both the 2001 and 2003 playoffs.

Phifer's career totals include 1,297 tackles (924 solo), 29.0 sacks, 11 interceptions, 80 passes defensed, 18 forced fumbles and eight fumble recoveries. He was originally drafted by the Los Angeles Rams in the second round (31st overall) of the 1991 NFL Draft. The Pineville, N.C. native played for the Rams for eight years, leading the team in tackles three times and accompanying the franchise in its move to St. Louis in 1996. He signed with the Jets as an unrestricted free agent prior to the 1999 season and then began his Patriots career two years later.

-- PATRIOTS --

Phifer was to count $2.001 million against the cap this year, the Patriots will take a $0.495 million dead money hit by releasing him.

One of the unsung heroes of the Patriot Dynasty and a player who always did well for us.

We save $1.506 mil against the cap by cutting him ($2.001 mil cap number due this year, now a $0.495 mil dead money hit), though only $1.201 mil after the rule of 51 takes effect.

But a move that was predictable and necessary.

I hope we resign him for one year at the veteran minimum. If not I wish him the best luck wherever he goes.

Patriots were $4.321 million under the cap.

They should now be $5.522 mil under the cap.

An expected move. I wish him well. He could very well just retire.

Still keeping my fingers crossed that I won't read an RS post that says: TROY BROWN RELEASED BY PATS. That would upset me.

I think this is a sign he planned to retire anyways. Belichcik always gave him alot of leeway in the offseason, so he can spend time with his family on the West Coast. Unless he hooks up with one of the Cali teams I would be surprised if he played again.

Well i guess i'll be the first non-Pats fan to respond in this thread.

Will the proverbial "Hes a great player. They won't be the same without them. The dynasty is crumbling" Statement do? :D

Prok, he's 36. :shock:

Unless he winds up with a team on the West Coast to be with his family, I think he'll retire.

Prok, he's 36. :shock:

Unless he winds up with a team on the West Coast to be with his family, I think he'll retire.

:lol: I figured it was worth a shot.

Ya think the Pats go LB in round 1, Mike?

Whats your thoughts on the DE Matt Roth? Do you think BB nabs him if he lasts that long, even though its not a big need?

They always draft corners and DEs and DLs. I don't see this draft being any different.

I think they'll get younger at LB via free agency, yet I won't rule out drafting a LB as well. It's tough to tell what they'll do on draft day. They're always major players in swapping and trading picks and they're unpredictable.

They always draft corners and DEs and DLs. I don't see this draft being any different.

I think they'll get younger at LB via free agency, yet I won't rule out drafting a LB as well. It's tough to tell what they'll do on draft day. They're always major players in swapping and trading picks and they're unpredictable.

Yea Corey Dillon, Rodney Harrison, arghhhhhhh. :lol:

BTW, are ya surprised at the amount of Pats fans here on a Jets site? I think it's cool as hell!

Ya wouldn't catch Steelers and Browns fans dead mingling together though. :lol:

Yea Corey Dillon, Rodney Harrison, arghhhhhhh. :lol:

BTW, are ya surprised at the amount of Pats fans here on a Jets site? I think it's cool as hell!

Ya wouldn't catch Steelers and Browns fans dead mingling together though. :lol:

Yes, I am surprised at that as well.

I'd like to see some Browns fans at SteelReign. There would be more activity there, for that board can be dead at times.

Yes, I am surprised at that as well.

I'd like to see some Browns fans at SteelReign. There would be more activity there, for that board can be dead at times.

Bite your tongue!

A dead board is far better and much more intelligent without clowns fans around! :lol:

:lol: You got me there! :P

What can you say except that they're very, very bitter people.

Dude this is absolute truth.

The day after the AFCC game loss, a radio station here in Cleveland sponsored an all day "Steeler playoff loss" celebration. You would think it was summertime at the carnival. Now thats respect for a rival! :lol:

Dude this is absolute truth.

The day after the AFCC game loss, a radio station here in Cleveland sponsored an all day "Steeler playoff loss" celebration. You would think it was summertime at the carnival. Now thats respect for a rival! :lol:

Like you said, they aren't the brightest bulbs around.

I really don't understand why Romeo left to go there, money aside, but that place is crazy.

I think they hate Belichick more than Jets fans do. It's probably too close to call though.

This is actually a little surprising to me considering Bruschi's status. This tells me one of two things. Either they already know that Bruschi is fine and will be back 100% or they have their eyes on a real stud LB in the draft.

This is actually a little surprising to me considering Bruschi's status. This tells me one of two things. Either they already know that Bruschi is fine and will be back 100% or they have their eyes on a real stud LB in the draft.

Priority number one: get younger at LB.

Phifer will be 37 this year. They may resign him to a veterans minimum, who knows when it comes to the Pats? They save roughly $1.5 million towards the cap by doing this, and every little bit helps.

Archived